7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
GyMariner
September 21, 2014, 9:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +681
Gold Stars: 7
What's all this about PH only aiming for the playoffs. The league is still so tight with numerous clubs capable of competing for top spot. Surely there are about 10 managers aiming to win the league. We know that the players are!

What Paul hurst says and does are different things. Course he is capable of getting us promoted, if he wasn't then we'd have an attendance of about 50 people who's aim is to get away from the mrs for a few hours!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 67
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 21, 2014, 9:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner91

I think you're right that he may be happy purely with the play offs whilst still wanting to win the league. But I disagree that Cambridge were always going to win the play offs. We beat them with a great performance in January and there is no reason that we couldn't have done so again if we'd played them. We were also unlucky to lose at home against them in the league to an own goal in a game that was pretty even overall. The season before Kiddie finished 8 points ahead of Newport and had been leading the table for a long time all season but they didn't go up, so there is never any guarantee that a team will win the play offs. The season before, York were 15 points behind Wrexham but they went up.

The play offs are a lottery and are basically a mini cup competition and it comes down to who plays better on the day generally as Wrexham were clearly a better side throughout the season than York had been and Kiddie better than Newport. I think PH aims for the league title but if we only make the play offs he isn't unhappy as we still have as much chance of others of succeeding in them. Until this stupid league gets more than 1 automatic place though, it will remain like that. We don't have the biggest budget, we shouldn't expect to win and view the play offs as failure. It's about where our budget states we should be.

For arguments sake, let's say we get in the play offs again and lose once more. If we'd shown improvement on last term throughout this coming season then I don't see how that can be a failure, we would still be going in the right direction.

I see your point though it depends on how well the teams are playing at the end of the league proper. The form side generally wins. However I'm sure you are right that Hurst would aim to be part of the playoffs regardless and would take 5th place if it was offered now.

The other thing I would say though is that if we are not promoted (again) can the club (JF) afford to keep up the same budget for yet another season? Money isn't everything, Kidderminster show that, but it is a big factor.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 67
mariner91
September 21, 2014, 9:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,252
Gold Stars: 253

I see your point though it depends on how well the teams are playing at the end of the league proper. The form side generally wins. However I'm sure you are right that Hurst would aim to be part of the playoffs regardless and would take 5th place if it was offered now.

The other thing I would say though is that if we are not promoted (again) can the club (JF) afford to keep up the same budget for yet another season? Money isn't everything, Kidderminster show that, but it is a big factor.

Yeah, generally the form side wins but hopefully we'll be the form side this year (if we're in the play offs) and won't drop off alarmingly like we have the last two Januarys.

Money is a big factor but I would argue that provided we have shown continual improvement, should we not get promoted, I'd rather keep PH and let him tweak things than bring in another manager and the inevitable changes in personnel which would have to be done on this lower budget. The changes from a new manager would likely be a lot more than if we had some continuity and we'd suffer consequently from any budget reductions.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 67
TownSNAFU5
September 21, 2014, 9:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Our experience in the playoffs for the last 2 seasons would surely help us again - if we are in them.  It is a mini- cup competition and you always need some luck to win. The margins are usually very fine.   Eg, we were unfortunate at Gateshead when a) Neilson was send off unjustly, and b) Macca made his worst error of the season at such a vital time.

York also benefited from some good fortunate in their playoff final against Luton as one goal was clearly offside.

So far we have played poorly against Newport but better (and somewhat unlucky) against Gateshead a year later.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 67
mariner91
September 21, 2014, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,252
Gold Stars: 253
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Our experience in the playoffs for the last 2 seasons would surely help us again - if we are in them.  It is a mini- cup competition and you always need some luck to win. The margins are usually very fine.   Eg, we were unfortunate at Gateshead when a) Neilson was send off unjustly, and b) Macca made his worst error of the season at such a vital time.

York also benefited from some good fortunate in their playoff final against Luton as one goal was clearly offside.

So far we have played poorly against Newport but better (and somewhat unlucky) against Gateshead a year later.  

I actually think we were the better side comfortably in both home legs. Even when Newport beat us, it was their only shot on goal all game and came from a free kick which was so ridiculously awarded to them it's almost up there with Neilson's sending off. I'll get shot down for this I'm sure but PH does seem to be quite an unlucky fellow.

Admittedly, we were shite at Newport and didn't deserve to go through and at Gateshead it took an unjust sending off to get us going.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 67
Grimal
September 21, 2014, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from TAGG

Can't read all posts but only seen one wanting Town to lose.
You may be happy with a top 5 finish but I and a lot of others aren't. We need a Manager in who looks to win the league outright [/b]not like Husts who is satisfied with the lottery of the playoffs [b]and thinks that success.

Can you please show us where PH has stated he is satisfied with the lottery of the playoffs,I havn't heard or seen him say it anywhere. I would imagine every manager at every club in the world aim for top spot and not second best.I wouldn't think PH is any different. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 67
Abdul19
September 21, 2014, 10:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
The form side definitely didn't win the playoffs last year - Cambridge lost their last 4 or 5 league games didn't they?  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 67
Grimal
September 21, 2014, 10:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from friskneymariner
I nothing wrong with people expresses strong opinions on this board,it shows the passion they have for the club,the time to worry is when apathy creeps in and people no longer care.

[/b]Remember       Thesis + Antitheses = Synthesis.
[b]

No, sorry I don't remember them, do they play for the Greek national team ?.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.