Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tickled Pink 4000 plus hits!!!!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

Tickled Pink 4000 plus hits!!!!

This thread currently has 8,469 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Getyourfactsright
October 19, 2014, 6:55am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47
Now the Zinfandel has worn off..

Please can my 5 fishy friends lighten up just a tad!!!!!

Two great wins away back to back and am cheered up no end. Results that might just spur us on. Credit to the team and Paul particularly for the character shown yesterday.

Can I spell such a word!!! well that one, yep I certainly can, but with the combination of being happy, not having my glasses on, the Zinfandel and a great win. Does it really matter!!!!!

Just Back the title!!!
Well I was at the game! Yes in Torquay and the post came soon after we jumped in the car.  

Bit Quite sorry (Quiet) the content!!!!!
Well it was.

Was that having a go at my 5 Fishy Friends!!! Not at all. Did I post with them in mind, Absolutely not.

Was it funny!!!! I thought so

We were in stitches all the way home watching the hits escalate in number, 4000 plus. I could imagine the fishy 5 foaming at the mouth as they posted from the security of their anonymity and likely, the warmth of an armchair, at how dare I come on their forum, spell something wrong and have a go.  

Just happy that's all for the fans, Paul, players and myself and not to forget my 5 Fishy friends too.

Hope we can kick on, pack the pack the Park and show the unrelenting support a successful team needs to be successful.

A result thats cheered me up no end, left me with a bad head, which could be the turning point of the season. Much better than feeling lower than a snakes belly as after Southport.

Best JOHN
UTM

Private Message
psgmariner
October 19, 2014, 7:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Good on you john.

Utm.

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
Trawler
October 19, 2014, 7:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Fishy forum gold.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
chaos33
October 19, 2014, 7:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
They say alcohol clouds judgement. I don't know how professional or helpful it was to get drunk and then log on to the forum and start the just back thread by goading our own supporters. Funny or not, I don't think it was necessary. We've had that much anger, disappointment, quarrelling, etc in recent weeks that it would have been great for us all to be rejoicing at those results and coming together, discussing what we've been doing well. Instead, more of the above.

I agree that there have been many digs and insults aimed at the manager and the owner on here, and they are equally unhelpful. I just don't think this is the way to respond or to create unity, which, as you rightly say John, is needed for progress.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
Mrs Doyle
October 19, 2014, 8:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Christ on a blke John (if it is you) Please do not feed the trolls, the infamous five i expect it from but not from a director of the club how unprofessional does that look.   
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
October 19, 2014, 8:32am
Guest User
I'm in no position to criticise anybody for coming on the fishy after a few scoops on a Saturday night!

Let's all enjoy the weekend, but remember we haven't achieved anything yet. We are seventh in the Conference so I see no reason to celebrate that particular fact. We need to go on a proper run, we have the players in my opinion, let's hope they have that winning mentality as recent history suggests we win a couple then a home draw, a defeat then a win or two again. We need to be more than that. Let's crack on and in May we can get the champers out, never mind the Zinfandel!

I really hope PH sticks with 4-3-3 home and away as the players we have suit the formation. Just get the wider players of the three to play closer to the main striker and get the central midfielders to break beyond the defence and we'll smash teams. I think Nathan Arnold can be a key player and give us pace wide, if we can keep John Paul Pittman fit, we have a league one standard striker who will score tons.

Forget signing a striker for now, but a right back is required. Sign Parslow if available or give Paul Walker a go.

UTM!
Reply: 5 - 64
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 19, 2014, 8:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from chaos33
They say alcohol clouds judgement. I don't know how professional or helpful it was to get drunk and then log on to the forum and start the just back thread by goading our own supporters. Funny or not, I don't think it was necessary. We've had that much anger, disappointment, quarrelling, etc in recent weeks that it would have been great for us all to be rejoicing at those results and coming together, discussing what we've been doing well. Instead, more of the above.

I agree that there have been many digs and insults aimed at the manager and the owner on here, and they are equally unhelpful. I just don't think this is the way to respond or to create unity, which, as you rightly say John, is needed for progress.

You never posted after a couple of sherbets mate???

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
chaos33
October 19, 2014, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm not the club owner. I frequently post after drinks but I don't generally start threads and certainly not ones that are provocative or goading. I'm not offended, ok. I just think it was crass.It's no biggy. Jeez, let's just talk about the game.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
Mrs Doyle
October 19, 2014, 9:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Careful Lads/lasses the Government is about to change the rules "Trolls could face two years behind bars" lol
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 64
wigworld
October 19, 2014, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Indeed! Careful John! [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 64
ex-merseymariner
October 19, 2014, 9:20am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from chaos33
I'm not the club owner. I frequently post after drinks but I don't generally start threads and certainly not ones that are provocative or goading. It's no biggy. Jeez, let's just talk about the game.

This raises an interesting point; if people think the club owner shouldn't post on the board, post-game, then does that extend to Shareholders as they own a % of the club too. Board Members? Does it extend to Trust Board members? Club employees? Season ticket holders?  Maybe nobody should post??!

Anyway, we won, Gateshead lost, Brizzle Rovers lost, Woking lost, I believe Torquay lost, and even the Imps did us a favour by taking points off Wrexham

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
chaos33
October 19, 2014, 9:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Look  people are just missing the point. Everybody should post. It's obviously me. I'm ducking out here. I'm off to find a sense of humour.

UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
mariner91
October 19, 2014, 10:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from Mariner21
Abuse removed

You've got issues.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
grimsby pete
October 19, 2014, 10:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
We have a great away win and our major shareholder has a laugh,

Nothing wrong with that,

BUT

Still we have a few on here who take the chance of having a go at him,

The abuse is not called for, lighten up and enjoy the moment.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
Hagrid
October 19, 2014, 10:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Mariner21
ABUSE REMOVED

I personally find this post disgusting. Think you neee to think long and hard before you open your mouth. Maybe you should grow up.........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
Mariner21
October 19, 2014, 10:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
So has my club!!! The issue being a certain john Fenty! The man is a disgrace! Seriously the man is a walking comedy sketch
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
KK_DOG
October 19, 2014, 10:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Good for John. He gets so muck stick he was entitled to that. It was rather funny he cocked it up though. The important thing is, what a great win that was, I am still smiling this morning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
Mariner21
October 19, 2014, 10:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +5 / -5
Approval: -232
Say what you like. Maybe your advise should be aimed at our mature major shareholder hagrid???
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 19, 2014, 10:13am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Can't see the sense in calling names. It is worth remembering that those who live by the troll can just as easily get clobbered by the troll. There are plenty of possible hiccups between now and the end of the season when no doubt Getyourfactsright will be reminded of his words as these occur by people a lot less polite than the likes of me.

Maybe "tickled pink" should have been saved for the night when we celebrate promotion. That would have been the grown up thing to do. Then we will all be on the same side won't we?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
Hagrid
October 19, 2014, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,384
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from Mariner21
Say what you like. Maybe your advise should be aimed at our mature major shareholder hagrid???

Im indifferent when it comes to John. He has made mistakes but he has GTFC at his heart, i would never stoop so low as to call ******** though mate, a little harsh you must admit?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
Perkins
October 19, 2014, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
[quote=120763]ABUSE REMOVED/quote]

An all time Fishy low? Like JF or not, NO-ONE should be subjected to this moronic rant.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
Mrs Doyle
October 19, 2014, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Quote:

"We were in stitches all the way home watching the hits escalate in number, 4000 plus. I could imagine the fishy 5 foaming at the mouth as they posted from the security of their anonymity and likely, the warmth of an armchair, at how dare I come on their forum, spell something wrong and have a go."

Cringe Worthy to the extreme.

I don't want to read this twaddle any more you just know that this is going to come back and bite your behind and it will all end up in tears .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
Wrawby_Mariner
October 19, 2014, 10:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
To be fair the man is a fan just like the rest of us, said man just happens to be the man who pumps vast sums of cash in to the club we all love. Yes his comment may have been premature but at the same time he is proud/ecstatic as the rest of us... Give the fella a break.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 22 - 64
GrimRob
October 19, 2014, 10:26am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Hagrid

I personally find this post disgusting. Think you neee to think long and hard before you open your mouth. Maybe you should grow up.........

He's been banned now

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 64
headingly_mariner
October 19, 2014, 10:27am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Quoted from Mariner21
Abuse removed

Look I'm certainly not his biggest fan, but you might want to rethink some of that stuff as it doesn't really help anyone and will probably get you into trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
lew chaterleys lover
October 19, 2014, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I refuse to believe this really is Mr. Fenty.

But IF it is, then only you could turn a decent away win into a slanging match with fans who have given a lifetime of support.

Really GTFC is just an expensive plaything for you and your hangers on isn't it?

How you can gloat or make jokes when we sit 8th in the Conference is beyond me.

I would make a note in your diary for the end of May - if we are a League club boast/joke/gloat to your hearts content, but if we are still in the Conference after 5 seasons you will be eating plenty of humble pie I expect.      

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
October 19, 2014, 10:47am
Guest User
I refuse to believe this really is Mr. Fenty.

But IF it is, then only you could turn a decent away win into a slanging match with fans who have given a lifetime of support.

Really GTFC is just an expensive plaything for you and your hangers on isn't it?

How you can gloat or make jokes when we sit 8th in the Conference is beyond me.

I would make a note in your diary for the end of May - if we are a League club boast/joke/gloat to your hearts content, but if we are still in the Conference after 5 seasons you will be eating plenty of humble pie I expect.      

I can assure you it is JF. To be fair, his comment wasn't that bad so let's not make a storm in a teacup.

That said, I would hope Mr Fenty has much higher aspirations than 8th in the Conference before cracking out the champers (or even the vino!). I also think a man in his position should stay away from posting on an unofficial forum (even if it is now heavily influenced by moderators at the club) and only comment via official sources as it does make us look like a proper non league club. I suppose after five years in this shitpit of a league, we shouldn't expect anything else.

Jason Paget (Don't hide behind my username)
Reply: 26 - 64
Chrisblor
October 19, 2014, 11:19am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,780
Gold Stars: 233
Wow John, if only you were as good at running a football club as you are at playing an internet wind up merchant...

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
MeanwoodMariner
October 19, 2014, 11:23am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 75

I can assure you it is JF. To be fair, his comment wasn't that bad so let's not make a storm in a teacup.

That said, I would hope Mr Fenty has much higher aspirations than 8th in the Conference before cracking out the champers (or even the vino!). I also think a man in his position should stay away from posting on an unofficial forum

Completely agree with the storm in a teacup comment.

Understand your "wait to the end of the season" stance but I disagree with it. I think we should absolutely enjoy the individual wins as we go along. I got carried away with the bank holiday euphoria and have no regrets about it despite the drop in form that followed.

You final point about him staying away from the Fishy I am undecided on. I think you may be right but I think that is a sad indictment of the Fishy rather than JF. It's essentially an admission that as a forum we are collectively not mature enough to cope with him being involved. This episode has shown that some fans are so quick to get themselves enraged at the gentlest of ribbings that he probably should leave all of us clowns to squabble among ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
KingstonMariner
October 19, 2014, 11:40am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 75
I'm in no position to criticise anybody for coming on the fishy after a few scoops on a Saturday night!

Let's all enjoy the weekend, but remember we haven't achieved anything yet. We are seventh in the Conference so I see no reason to celebrate that particular fact. We need to go on a proper run, we have the players in my opinion, let's hope they have that winning mentality as recent history suggests we win a couple then a home draw, a defeat then a win or two again. We need to be more than that. Let's crack on and in May we can get the champers out, never mind the Zinfandel!

UTM!

Completely agree Vicar.

(I suppose it is Sunday).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
October 19, 2014, 11:50am
Guest User
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Completely agree with the storm in a teacup comment.

Understand your "wait to the end of the season" stance but I disagree with it. I think we should absolutely enjoy the individual wins as we go along. I got carried away with the bank holiday euphoria and have no regrets about it despite the drop in form that followed.

You final point about him staying away from the Fishy I am undecided on. I think you may be right but I think that is a sad indictment of the Fishy rather than JF. It's essentially an admission that as a forum we are collectively not mature enough to cope with him being involved. This episode has shown that some fans are so quick to get themselves enraged at the gentlest of ribbings that he probably should leave all of us clowns to squabble among ourselves.

I just think he leaves himself open to misinterpretation, in my opinion a man in his position should stick to prepared statements released via official channels. But if he continues to post occasionally, I won't lose sleep over it.
Reply: 30 - 64
Garth
October 19, 2014, 12:17pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from chaos33
Look  people are just missing the point. Everybody should post. It's obviously me. I'm ducking out here. I'm off to find a sense of humour.

UTM

Think so in this case mate, he`s as much a fan as  the rest of us,  more so if taking all the sh1t that he does and still cones back for more, cut the guy some slack support the team/management/directors  as I`m sure you do
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
RichMariner
October 19, 2014, 12:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
Well this is embarrassing.

John has every right to post on here if he so wishes. We can't deny him that. In my personal opinion, if I were the major shareholder of a football club, I'd probably steer clear.

I'm not so much annoyed at the fact he's posted; it's the content of his post, and the way he's said it.

If he was so ecstatic with the win, why couldn't he have just said that? Instead of goading a certain group of fans. We were always told at school to ignore the clown at the back of the class who was always messing around. Starve him/her of attention and they'll soon stop it.

But John's decided to stir it up.

I'm sure he's a nice man, and I truly believe he has the club's best interests at heart, but as a senior figure at the club he really needs some help in knowing when to speak, and what to say when he does.

He also needs to know that 'having a go' at our fans, whether they deserve it or not, is never a good idea. That might seem unfair to him, but by simply talking about how happy he was at yesterday's result, and ignoring the prats that wind him up, he's rising above it.

But he keeps stooping so low, taking pot-shots at them, and that makes him as bad as them.

Rise above it, John. Please.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
Garth
October 19, 2014, 12:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from Mariner21
So has my club!!! The issue being a certain john Fenty! The man is a disgrace! Seriously the man is a walking comedy sketch

What ever floats your boat!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 19, 2014, 12:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
He's achieved what he was after. I suggest we let this thread slide into oblivion until next May.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
chaos33
October 19, 2014, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner
Well this is embarrassing.

John has every right to post on here if he so wishes. We can't deny him that. In my personal opinion, if I were the major shareholder of a football club, I'd probably steer clear.

I'm not so much annoyed at the fact he's posted; it's the content of his post, and the way he's said it.

If he was so ecstatic with the win, why couldn't he have just said that? Instead of goading a certain group of fans. We were always told at school to ignore the clown at the back of the class who was always messing around. Starve him/her of attention and they'll soon stop it.

But John's decided to stir it up.

I'm sure he's a nice man, and I truly believe he has the club's best interests at heart, but as a senior figure at the club he really needs some help in knowing when to speak, and what to say when he does.

He also needs to know that 'having a go' at our fans, whether they deserve it or not, is never a good idea. That might seem unfair to him, but by simply talking about how happy he was at yesterday's result, and ignoring the prats that wind him up, he's rising above it.

But he keeps stooping so low, taking pot-shots at them, and that makes him as bad as them.

Rise above it, John. Please.

Which is precisely what I mean. That's all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
RoboCod
October 19, 2014, 1:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
He's achieved what he was after. I suggest we let this thread slide into oblivion until next May.

Or until the next couple of defeats, when the negative types get their turn  to play with the ball, and so on..... Dismal thread, can't believe the Fishy has turned to this after such an exceptional win.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
grimsby pete
October 19, 2014, 1:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Heading towards 6,000 now John.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
chaos33
October 19, 2014, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

Or until the next couple of defeats, when the negative types get their turn  to play with the ball, and so on..... Dismal thread, can't believe the Fishy has turned to this after such an exceptional win.

I know. That's was my other key point. Gonna leave it for a while I think.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
GorgeousGeorge
October 19, 2014, 4:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +30
John Fenty in 'normal behaviour' shock.  Jeez guys, give the man a break.  He can't do right for doing wrong in the eyes of some.  John, if you read this (please bear in mind that I have 'previous' when the amber nectar flows), I for one see nothing wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
rancido
October 19, 2014, 4:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,571
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge
John Fenty in 'normal behaviour' shock.  Jeez guys, give the man a break.  He can't do right for doing wrong in the eyes of some.  John, if you read this (please bear in mind that I have 'previous' when the amber nectar flows), I for one see nothing wrong with wearing your heart on your sleeve.  

But The Fishy Five don't  

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 19, 2014, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Just think that the fact he posted at all says as much as you need to know. That's all. Back to the sun lounger and the Super Bock.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
October 19, 2014, 9:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
It's essentially an admission that as a forum we are collectively not mature enough to cope with him being involved.

I doubt we'll be mature enough without him involved either !
I hope John keeps posting, he speaks some sense.
Reply: 42 - 64
promotion plaice
October 19, 2014, 9:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
You John Fenty, are a normal fan like the rest of us, and for that, you sir are awesome.........so is football.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
RichMariner
October 20, 2014, 11:23am
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from GorgeousGeorge
John Fenty in 'normal behaviour' shock.  Jeez guys, give the man a break.  He can't do right for doing wrong in the eyes of some.

I'd argue that it isn't normal behaviour for a senior figure at the club to post comments on a fans' forum and goad a handful of them in the process.

He has an official channel through which he can communicate (the OS) and he can even talk to the fans through the media (Telegraph, Humberside etc).

I appreciate that some fans like the fact that he posts on here, which suggests he's one of us. It's not that unusual, but the senior bosses that tend to do this open themselves up for more abuse and criticism in the long run, unless they have a strategy.

And judging by his track record, I'm guessing John doesn't have one.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
rancido
October 20, 2014, 1:11pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

I'd argue that it isn't normal behaviour for a senior figure at the club to post comments on a fans' forum and goad a handful of them in the process.

He has an official channel through which he can communicate (the OS) and he can even talk to the fans through the media (Telegraph, Humberside etc).

I appreciate that some fans like the fact that he posts on here, which suggests he's one of us. It's not that unusual, but the senior bosses that tend to do this open themselves up for more abuse and criticism in the long run, unless they have a strategy.

I don't regard the comment he made as "  goading the fans". I really think that some on here need to lighten up!

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
GrimRob
October 20, 2014, 1:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Is there that much difference to posting on here and tweeting? The media is full of tweets from public figures every day, some of them much more controversial than saying "quiet on here" (which it always is anyway after Town win!).

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 64
arryarryarry
October 20, 2014, 1:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimRob
Is there that much difference to posting on here and tweeting? The media is full of tweets from public figures every day, some of them much more controversial than saying "quiet on here" (which it always is anyway after Town win!).

You could say that after we lose many on here go very quiet
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
Garth
October 20, 2014, 1:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from RichMariner

What a load of bull
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
RichMariner
October 20, 2014, 2:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Fair enough if you don't agree Garth, but it's not exactly 'bull'. It's just my perspective on things.

As a senior figure at the football club it's vital that he comes across as professional. He reflects our football club. That doesn't mean he can't engage with the fans on here, but it does mean that people are constantly judging him, and therefore judging our club.

I don't want to see our major shareholder, or any senior figure, responding to fans on here who wind him up. He should rise above that. So it might only be 'friendly banter' but it does more harm than good in the long run.

If/when Town lose a couple on the bounce, he'll get more personal criticism and vitriol on here from those fans he's targeting than he otherwise would if he didn't acknowledge them.

Just to be clear - I'm perfectly happy for him to engage with fans on here. But he needs to be careful when he posts, and what he talks about, otherwise the whole situation will escalate and before you know it someone else will post defamatory comments and he'll again be asking for the site to be taken down.

It all might seem fine right now while everyone's feeling relatively positive following a couple of good results, but wait for the moment we lose two on the bounce and this message board will become a very different forum.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
RichMariner
October 20, 2014, 2:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

Good point Rob - you're right, there isn't much difference.

The one BIG difference is that the majority of public figures who tweet have the considerable weight of PR agencies behind them, so they're constantly being advised on their social strategy, when to post, how to engage, who's worth ignoring, who's worth targeting, measuring the sentiment of the responses. The controversial things they say are often very well planned and very closely managed, designed to get a response, provoke discussion and raise profiles in the right environments (at the right time).

I very much doubt Fenty has any of this behind him.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Garth
October 20, 2014, 4:27pm

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from RichMariner
Fair enough if you don't agree Garth, but it's not exactly 'bull'. It's just my perspective on things.

As a senior figure at the football club it's vital that he comes across as professional. He reflects our football club. That doesn't mean he can't engage with the fans on here, but it does mean that people are constantly judging him, and therefore judging our club.

I don't want to see our major shareholder, or any senior figure, responding to fans on here who wind him up. He should rise above that. So it might only be 'friendly banter' but it does more harm than good in the long run.

If/when Town lose a couple on the bounce, he'll get more personal criticism and vitriol on here from those fans he's targeting than he otherwise would if he didn't acknowledge them.

Just to be clear - I'm perfectly happy for him to engage with fans on here. But he needs to be careful when he posts, and what he talks about, otherwise the whole situation will escalate and before you know it someone else will post defamatory comments and he'll again be asking for the site to be taken down.

It all might seem fine right now while everyone's feeling relatively positive following a couple of good results, but wait for the moment we lose two on the bounce and this message board will become a very different forum.

No comment needed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
Chrisblor
October 20, 2014, 4:36pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Garth

No comment needed

That's a terrible response - you've only quoted part of the first highlighted sentence and taken it totally out of context.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
rancido
October 21, 2014, 11:32am

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

That's a terrible response - you've only quoted part of the first highlighted sentence and taken it totally out of context.

That may be so but the two statements do contradict each other.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
Garth
October 21, 2014, 11:36am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from rancido

My point exactly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
Chrisblor
October 21, 2014, 11:44am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

No they don't. You can still generally engage with fans while ignoring those trying to wind you up.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
MarinerWY
October 21, 2014, 12:12pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from rancido

They don't at all. One is about engaging in the fans in general, the other is specifically about the winding-up element. Personally I don't have a huge problem with John's posts and think there was a bit of an overreaction, but I understand where others are coming from in that is somewhat unprofessional. But then I like the fact that it is so, shows he's one of us at heart, despite his role.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
Abdul19
October 21, 2014, 12:24pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Always much easier to create a contradiction when you cut off a chunk of the sentence!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 21, 2014, 12:30pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Always much easier to create a contradiction when you cut off a chunk of the sentence!

We will probably say the same with Oscar Pistorious before long.

Too right though. Context is everything if a quote is to reflect meaning.

Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
arryarryarry
October 21, 2014, 2:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from rancido

You and the other guy quite clearly have a problem reading more than a few words together.

Try reading it again a bit more slowly and you will see that the statements don't contradict each other.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
chicaneuk
October 21, 2014, 2:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Personally I think it's brilliant that the chairman of the club comes on here and has a bit of banter with some of the supporters. How many other clubs have that. Some folks really need to lighten up a little and take it in the way it was intended.

Thanks for something to laugh about, John
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
rancido
October 21, 2014, 7:25pm

Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

You and the other guy quite clearly have a problem reading more than a few words together.

Try reading it again a bit more slowly and you will see that the statements don't contradict each other.

What a condescending and patronising thing to say!
I have read the statement lentamente, allegro and presto so I know what was meant. I still feel that there is an element of contradiction but have it your own way.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
supertown
October 21, 2014, 7:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,439
Gold Stars: 53
well the contradiction argument is taking the heat off Mr Fenty. My opinion is that he does not deliberately try to wind up our fans but some take it that way due to their tunneled vision opinion of him.  I'm all for him posting on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
Fcukthescunts
October 21, 2014, 7:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Can we just not give it a rest now, what is done is done. I would rather have JF posting on here knowing he is bothered about the club, than have a Salisbury/Hereford situation!
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2014, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

We will probably say the same with Oscar Pistorious before long.

Too right though. Context is everything if a quote is to reflect meaning.

Post of the week.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tickled Pink 4000 plus hits!!!!

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.