October 20, 2014, 7:48pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
October 20, 2014, 8:36pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

And in another story Lincoln City are fed up of losing to Grimsby on boxing day and call on the league to allow them the chance of losing to Alfreton for a change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
October 20, 2014, 8:42pm
Guest User
Lincoln making excuses. Now there's are surprise...
Reply: 2 - 16
WappingMariner
October 20, 2014, 8:45pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
Ah Mr Dorrian. Not like him to push for something completely void of any sense or logical thinking. He's the same Mr Dorrian who said in September 2010 that he had "thought seriously" about a five-year plan to get Lincoln to the Championship.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
GYinScuntland
October 20, 2014, 8:51pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from WappingMariner
Ah Mr Dorrian. Not like him to push for something completely void of any sense or logical thinking. He's the same Mr Dorrian who said in September 2010 that he had "thought seriously" about a five-year plan to get Lincoln to the Championship.

Well ahead of plan then, already premier league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
DocTower
October 20, 2014, 10:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Personally I believe it is an idea that should be looked at . Lets face it , without a sugar daddy , teams in this division and division 2 will struggle in the near future to survive on gates of less than 2000 without a good business plan .

Football is a strange business in itself but it must be sustainable . The Premiership is away with the fairies , if your not in the premier you don't exist . The money is obscene and will never ever filter down to the lower levels ,

How teams must love Grimsby to visit knowing that its going to be a good pay day for them , when we open a stand which  holds 2000 for less than 30 . By regionalisation , although not popular the potential extra revenue from away fans could stimulate future investment . Nothing is guaranteed but can the country as a whole accommodate  over 100 professional football clubs that loose money every week .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 21, 2014, 6:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
But isn't an away trip half the fun of being a football supporter?? How many weekends away have given people the chance to meet up with friends and family? Maybe I see it as being selfish, being an exiled supporter, but look at the amount of supporters we get at games around the London area.

Some teams also just don't take supporters. Fgr had +/- 50 more fans at Bristol rovers (30 mins down the m5) than we took to torquay. Yes, we do lose out by not getting more away support, but maybe the club could address this by getting more home support in. Offering reduced admission charges maybe? Is it really going to make much of a difference when some teams bring 40 fans anyway? How many youngster were swayed by the offer of £5 to get in at brizzle rovers on the opening day of the season

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
aldi_01
October 21, 2014, 6:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Sadly though the leagues hold all the power in this country, not the FA so unless they want it it will never happen.

I'm sure they would cite reasons that are similar to why they did away with the North/south split way back when.

As for lincoln, Dorrian does make some silly comments but then again, none can be more silly than our own chair... Sorry, majority shareholder. Fact of the matter is after a kind of decent start the clodhoppers who like to kick their way through games and have a terrible discipline record have once again found themselves staring a bottom of the table scramble of a season.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
RoboCod
October 21, 2014, 7:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Just as well that absolutely nobody takes any notice of Lincoln or particularly the hapless Chicken Bob.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
GrimRob
October 21, 2014, 7:47am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Lincoln a team approximately in the middle of the country are maybe not the best team to propose this. Maybe Gateshead or Torquay would be a better example.I can't see it happening because it would mean transferring the best clubs from the Conference to the FL, and also lowering the standard in L2.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 16
jock dock tower
October 21, 2014, 9:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Haven't read the proposals, but let's not forget that the professional game used to be regionalised in the 3rd tier until 1958-9, when you had the 3rd Divisions north and south, with the only champion of each going up into the 2nd Division (now the Championship)

Financially it makes sense. We have regionalised football all the way up to the Conference and it would make sense to regionalise it like the old 3rd Divisions to cut down on travel expenses, which must be huge for the likes of Torquay and Gateshead.

We regionalised the game at Scottish Junior level in 2003 and have never looked back, and it does mean that the smaller clubs can eventually find a safe level if they do get promoted without having to break the bank to do so.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
Garth
October 21, 2014, 10:40am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from aldi_01
Sadly though the leagues hold all the power in this country, not the FA so unless they want it it will never happen.

I'm sure they would cite reasons that are similar to why they did away with the North/south split way back when.

As for lincoln, Dorrian does make some silly comments but then again, none can be more silly than our own chair... Sorry, majority shareholder. Fact of the matter is after a kind of decent start the clodhoppers who like to kick their way through games and have a terrible discipline record have once again found themselves staring a bottom of the table scramble of a season.

Blimey we are not that bad are we the last time I looked we were three points from the playoffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
BottesfordMariner
October 21, 2014, 11:08am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
There was an article a year or two back that proposed this.

i thought it was a good idea then and said so in a post on here. I still think it is a decent idea. The standard between most of the Conference and League 2 is not that great. Gates for the ex league clubs compare ok with the league 2.

league 2 North
Accrington
Alfreton
Altrincham
Burton
Bury
Carlisle
Chester
Gateshead
Grimsby
Halifax
Hartlepool
Kidderminster
lincoln
Macclefield
Mansfield
Morecambe
Northampton
Nuneaton
Shrewsbury
Southport
Telford
Tranmere
Wrexham
York

League South
Aldershot
Barnet
Braintree
Bristol R
Cambridge
Cheltenham
Dagenham
Dartford
Dover
Eastleigh
Exeter
Forest Green
Luton
Newport
Oxford
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Southend
Stevenage
Torquay
Welling
Wimbledon
Woking
Wycombe

more local derbies, bigger crowds, less expense for teams. There are a lot of league 2 clubs with gates around Towns level or indeed less.

the stumbling block would be the FL wanting to increase its membership by 24 teams and may be not so popular with the teams in the FL as much as the teams out of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
Paris Mariner
October 21, 2014, 5:22pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
There was an article a year or two back that proposed this.

i thought it was a good idea then and said so in a post on here. I still think it is a decent idea. The standard between most of the Conference and League 2 is not that great. Gates for the ex league clubs compare ok with the league 2.

league 2 North
Accrington
Alfreton
Altrincham
Burton
Bury
Carlisle
Chester
Gateshead
Grimsby
Halifax
Hartlepool
Kidderminster
lincoln
Macclefield
Mansfield
Morecambe
Northampton
Nuneaton
Shrewsbury
Southport
Telford
Tranmere
Wrexham
York

League South
Aldershot
Barnet
Braintree
Bristol R
Cambridge
Cheltenham
Dagenham
Dartford
Dover
Eastleigh
Exeter
Forest Green
Luton
Newport
Oxford
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Southend
Stevenage
Torquay
Welling
Wimbledon
Woking
Wycombe

more local derbies, bigger crowds, less expense for teams. There are a lot of league 2 clubs with gates around Towns level or indeed less.

the stumbling block would be the FL wanting to increase its membership by 24 teams and may be not so popular with the teams in the FL as much as the teams out of it.

Another stumbling block would be promotion between Conference North and South and the new regionalised League 2 North and South. A big gate at this level is 600 which is way below the average at the next level. Very few clubs are hitting 1000+

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 16
HackneyHaddock
October 21, 2014, 7:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Once Dirty Lincoln are relegated their wish will come true.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2014, 9:44pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I hope it doesn't happen. At least until I retire and I'm free to move back up north.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2014, 9:46pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Paris Mariner

Another stumbling block would be promotion between Conference North and South and the new regionalised League 2 North and South. A big gate at this level is 600 which is way below the average at the next level. Very few clubs are hitting 1000+

Very good point.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lincoln call for League to be regionalised

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.