This thread currently has 6,077 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
northbankmariner
October 21, 2014, 9:57pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Guess there are a few rivalries out there, but for me I would probably list as follows.
1. Hull city I know we haven't played each other in a meaningful match for a number of years now and they probably won't see us rivals now, they just hate Leeds. But for me history is not forgotten and plenty of run-ins in the past with their fans still remain in the memory bank.
2. Scunthorpe United. Both clubs of similar stature but I guess rivalry is more a geographical thing but I did and always will feel a special buzz when playing them, god do I want to beat them.
3. Lincoln City. Pretty much the same reasons as above with scunny, love the atmosphere and tenseness during the game and it is just magical when you score against and beat them.

If I am being honest a lot of it stems from the late eighties/early nineties when there used to be a certain amount of trouble at these matches. The atmosphere used to be intense and it was serious rivalry off the pitch as well as on it. Back in the day that was just as exciting as the football. And no I was not or am a hooligan but like most young adults at the time found it interesting and this added very much to just a geographical rivalry, it was as much about larger gates and atmosphere, that is what creates a rivalry and these 3 will always be classed by myself as rivals,
I hold no hatred towards any of these but when playing them you would give anything for a win.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 21, 2014, 10:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Defruityarse

Scunts

Yorkie teams

Used to dislike west brom a lot, guessing it's because of the Buckley saga. Always remember bit of trouble with Peterborough, Northampton and tranmere.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Mariner Ronnie
October 21, 2014, 10:04pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
1. scunthorpe
2. lincoln
3. hull (but that has seemed to have calmed down recent in years)

out of curiousity, what's gateshead's derby for the past few seasons, is it us?

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2014, 10:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
(1) Tom and Jerry
(2) Capitalism and Communism
(3) Gladstone and Disraeli

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
jock dock tower
October 21, 2014, 10:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Cumnock, Glenafton, Irvine Meadow.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
October 21, 2014, 10:17pm
Guest User
Scunthorpe, Hull, with Barnsley a distant third.
Reply: 15 - 35
gaz57
October 21, 2014, 11:54pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
At the moment I would say it was the council over the last 20 years. Such a long time as past with no real backing, with friends like that who needs enemies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
MarinerWY
October 22, 2014, 1:19am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Scunthorpe. That's about it really. When we drew them in the cup last year the atmosphere was amazing.

Hull I'm not so fussed about. Being a Yorkshire Mariner I'm actually quite pleased there's a team from Yorkshire and/or Humberside in the top flight.

Lincoln I guess, I don't like them but it's not a derby that fills me with the buzz that a match against Scunny does.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 35
Abdul19
October 22, 2014, 1:53am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,554
Gold Stars: 216
I quite like seeing Hull and Scunny lose, but it hardly ruins my weekend if they don't.

In the Conference the only team I dislike is Gateshead.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
ginnywings
October 22, 2014, 7:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,117
Gold Stars: 548
At the moment it's Barnet and any team stopping us from getting out of this shitehole.

Being of a certain age, it was always the Yorkie club games that gave me the greatest buzz. The Sheffields and Barnsley's of this world, plus Scunny cos they are Scunny.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Top 3 Rivalries

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.