3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
October 23, 2014, 12:16pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,336
Gold Stars: 63
I SEE OUR ELECTED OBJECTIONER HAS FOUND SOMETHING ELSE TO KEEP HIMSELF BUSY WITH

Fears as 51 new Waltham homes rejected
By Grimsby Telegraph  |  Posted: October 23, 2014

OPPOSITION:  The area of land which had been earmarked for 51 new homes, behind Waltham Fire Station. Inset, Councillor Andrew De Freitas, who led the opposition.
Digsby
IM, Email, and Social Networks in one easy to use application!
http://kvors.com/click/?s=88377&c=89569&subid=21987
OPPOSITION: The area of land which had been earmarked for 51 new homes, behind Waltham Fire Station. Inset, Councillor Andrew De Freitas, who led the opposition.

Read more: http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....y.html#ixzz3GxvmfIw5
Follow us: @GrimsbyTel on Twitter | grimsbytel on Facebook
Read more at http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....#dHsFj9YGV03cD25j.99
Logged Online
Private Message
promotion plaice
October 23, 2014, 12:27pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
No wonder UKIP have targeted Grimsby.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 23, 2014, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 178
This guy just comes across as a schmuck!

I bet when he drives anywhere it's "ah, I remember when this was all waste land and people living in mud huts........."

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
denni266
October 23, 2014, 2:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +698
Gold Stars: 132
About time voters saw the light and voted him out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 23, 2014, 3:12pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I can't stand him either but I don't believe in shooting the messenger.

You only have to look at the photo to see what stupidity it would be to concrete over farmland with all the extra drainage and traffic problems it would cause, just so some developer can get rich quick.

Because that's all it is, a money spinner. And I don't even know anyone who lives up there these days so I've no axe to grind at all.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
headingly_mariner
October 23, 2014, 4:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,341
Gold Stars: 113

You only have to look at the photo to see what stupidity it would be to concrete over farmland with all the extra drainage and traffic problems it would cause, just so some developer can get rich quick.

Because that's all it is, a money spinner. And I don't even know anyone who lives up there these days so I've no axe to grind at all.

Any idea who the developer is?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
barralad
October 23, 2014, 4:23pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from denni266

Probably my least favourite local politician ever but the people of Park Ward re-elect him time after time.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Southwark Mariner
October 23, 2014, 4:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,550
Gold Stars: 82

http://planninganddevelopment......keyVal=N5GRS2LJG7N00

There seems to be a well organised campaign against the plan. Quite fun reading planning objection letters. This is what to expect if we ever get to a planning application stage for a new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
horsforthmariner
October 23, 2014, 4:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,596
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from denni266

He is up for election for May. The reason he gets in is because he does what his electors want. If we want to get the new ground there has to be a big effort to make sure your local councillors knows your views on this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
rancido
October 23, 2014, 4:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,559
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I bet when he drives anywhere it's "ah, I remember when this was all waste land and people living in mud huts........."

......and a schmuck is?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
Perkins
October 23, 2014, 5:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
I think if and when we get a new ground it would be fitting to name one of the stands "The Up Yours Andrew De Freitas Stand"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 24
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 23, 2014, 5:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,813
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from rancido

......and a schmuck is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmuck_(pejorative)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 23, 2014, 5:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Any idea who the developer is?

Only what the GT link says. "The agent, a Mr P Strawson". It doesn't say the name of the developer. No doubt it is available somewhere.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 24
Trawler
October 23, 2014, 5:26pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Likely then to be the Strawsons who are pretty major developers round these parts - IIRC they did the golf club development in Waltham

http://www.grimsbydistrictbuil....._F_Strawson_Ltd.html

P Strawson probably the Paul Strawson mentioned on this web page

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 24
jock dock tower
October 23, 2014, 5:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
He should have stuck to cricket, good all rounder for Leicester and England in his day.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 24
ackomariner
October 23, 2014, 5:40pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Trawler
Likely then to be the Strawsons who are pretty major developers round these parts - IIRC they did the golf club development in Waltham

http://www.grimsbydistrictbuil....._F_Strawson_Ltd.html

P Strawson probably the Paul Strawson mentioned on this web page

Wasn't it the  strawson family who pulled that house down on humberston ave to give access to their field at the back, and now got planning permission for 400 houses after they gave the council 750k to repair potholes

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 24
ackomariner
October 23, 2014, 5:43pm

Cocktail Drinker

Well I live right near the fire station and I'm glad it's been rejected, the traffic up this way because of tollbar is ridiculous

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 23, 2014, 5:57pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ackomariner

Well I live right near the fire station and I'm glad it's been rejected, the traffic up this way because of tollbar is ridiculous

Ah! I'll have to declare an interest now. I DO know someone who lives in the area!

Private Message
Reply: 17 - 24
ackomariner
October 23, 2014, 6:22pm

Cocktail Drinker

Ah! I'll have to declare an interest now. I DO know someone who lives in the area!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 24
rancido
October 23, 2014, 7:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I knew but I wondered if any other posters realised what is was derived from.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 24
rancido
October 23, 2014, 7:36pm

Vodka Drinker
The point is that the more housing developments there are on that part of NE Lincs ( Waltham/New Waltham/HoltonLeClay) then the greater will be the demand for a retail outlet/supermarket in the area ie off the Peaks Parkway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 23, 2014, 7:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido
The point is that the more housing developments there are on that part of NE Lincs ( Waltham/New Waltham/HoltonLeClay) then the greater will be the demand for a retail outlet/supermarket in the area ie off the Peaks Parkway.

Oh great! So the area has to have houses it doesn't need, in places that are unsuitable, on good quality farmland, filling a developer's pockets, just so a supermarket might possibly think it's worth investing in a retail park that would help to build a new football stadium?

I'm not sure you would get a lot of support for that idea on the south side of town.

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 24
rancido
October 23, 2014, 8:00pm

Vodka Drinker

Oh great! So the area has to have houses it doesn't need, in places that are unsuitable, on good quality farmland, filling a developer's pockets, just so a supermarket might possibly think it's worth investing in a retail park that would help to build a new football stadium?

I'm not sure you would get a lot of support for that idea on the south side of town.

I feel you are missing the point. There must be a demand for housing or developers wouldn't risk advancing the cash to build them. Wherever houses are built then inevitably some developers will benefit and that is a fact of life. Whether you agree or not it seems to be a recognised fact that a/ the country needs more housing , especially affordable types and b/ one way to boost the economy is to build more houses. Obviously it is better if brownfield sites are used but it is inevitable that as towns/cities expand then some areas of farmland will get swallowed up. The expansion of suburbs creates the demand for more convenient shopping facilities. If the creation of these shopping facilities makes it easier for us to get a new ground then that is a bonus for us.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 24
scrumble
October 23, 2014, 9:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Same guy that said "Ah, I remember when this was a public right of way. Until I built a house on it, ignoring local planning laws and using my contacts to get the right of way moved after I'd built it."

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 23, 2014, 9:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I feel you are missing the point. There must be a demand for housing or developers wouldn't risk advancing the cash to build them. Wherever houses are built then inevitably some developers will benefit and that is a fact of life. Whether you agree or not it seems to be a recognised fact that a/ the country needs more housing , especially affordable types and b/ one way to boost the economy is to build more houses. Obviously it is better if brownfield sites are used but it is inevitable that as towns/cities expand then some areas of farmland will get swallowed up. The expansion of suburbs creates the demand for more convenient shopping facilities. If the creation of these shopping facilities makes it easier for us to get a new ground then that is a bonus for us.

We are getting non-footy here but there is no massive demand for new housing outside of the south east and some of the conurbations. This is spec building of the kind we got in the 80s only it was more offices then. Stick 'em up, count the cash and move on. That was fuelled by this same idea that unemployment and the economy could be fixed by building stuff. The big builds of the 50s and 60s round here happened when the town was well off, good wages on the Bank and fish factories, skippers moving to the suburbs. There isn't that money here now to drive a house buying  boom so developers are playing the game of build for rent like Scartho Top. Retail is in the same boat - we don't get Debenhams, we get a bigger Primark and it's obvious why. So even if there were more people in houses in Waltham they wouldn't bring much demand for a Sainsburys. In any case a supermarket would be mad to put money into any brand new retail development just now. Even Ramsdens is downsizing and trying to use its land more profitably.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Our favourite OBJECTIONER at it again

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.