This thread currently has 1,230 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
October 24, 2014, 5:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Just put the clip below from my Facebook page. There'll be a lot of regulars on here who used to go to the all nighters on the Pier. It bypassed me, sadly, but many others will have very fond memories of it. Am amazed at youth culture, and how it evolves despite the best attempts of the establishment from allowing it to do so, so here's one for all you old northern soul guys.....what are your very best memories of this genre of music, especially in relation to Meggies?

Just watched "Northern Soul: Living for the Weekend" on the iplayer. When I were a lad it passed me by, I was into psychedelia, heavy rock, prog rock the whole anti establishment thing on the other side of the musical coin (what an awful cliche) Had nothing to do with it, but used to know lots of guys who were heavily into it, especially with the Cleethorpes all nighters and how, now, I wished I'd gone to a few of those - but ne'er the twain shall meet in those days unfortunately. Used to go to the football, especially the away games with Grimsby on the Scaffa (Scartho) coach which would be chocker with them. You'll know what I mean Ted and Keith! Must have been strange for them seeing someone so involved with the football but being into an alternative musical scene. Had not realised the whole thing with Northern Soul and the exclusivity thing with the music, which really does appeal to me. Looking to go to a northern soul all nighter some time in the future for definite the noo.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
October 25, 2014, 12:43pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Was that the BBC doc that was on the other year Jock? I see it's still on iPlayer (for 11 more hours).

Thought it was mainly the Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes for the soul Allniters? You're right about "ne'er the twain shall meet in those days".

Will go to see that new film that's out now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
barralad
October 26, 2014, 10:15am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Was that the BBC doc that was on the other year Jock? I see it's still on iPlayer (for 11 more hours).

Thought it was mainly the Winter Gardens in Cleethorpes for the soul Allniters? You're right about "ne'er the twain shall meet in those days".

Will go to see that new film that's out now.

The main all-nighters were at the Pier. There is footage all over Youtube of the dancing. The only sound apart from the music is the thump, thump of the dancers feet on the Pier floor!
I looked all over for the film but according to the cinema finder tool that accompanies the advert on FB it isn't being shown anywhere within 30 miles of Gy!
The good news is that the DVD is already out....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
KingstonMariner
October 29, 2014, 12:09am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Was on at the Parkway 24th-27th Barra:

http://www.northernsoulthefilm.com/cinemas.html

Must say I was hoping to see it while I'm up there later this week but it's been and gone. And I'll have to pay a bloody baby sitter to watch it now [Scrooge Smiley].

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
barralad
October 29, 2014, 8:41am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,263
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Was on at the Parkway 24th-27th Barra:

http://www.northernsoulthefilm.com/cinemas.html

Must say I was hoping to see it while I'm up there later this week but it's been and gone. And I'll have to pay a bloody baby sitter to watch it now [Scrooge Smiley].

Well that just shows you! I didn't think of looking in the telegraph after reading the FB advert. Ah well DVD it is then!

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Northern Soul

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.