Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst post match interview.
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 311 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 37.

Paul Hurst post match interview.

This thread currently has 4,766 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
November 5, 2014, 9:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Abdul19
He needs to use phrases like "kick on" "go again" "moving forward" and "next level" more, until he does that he's not a proper manager!

Reply: 30 - 39
KingstonMariner
November 5, 2014, 10:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Given you a tick 80s because that has got to be the shortest post you've ever made  

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
November 5, 2014, 10:22pm
Guest User
Reply: 32 - 39
Tommy
November 5, 2014, 10:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
I have to say, listening to the interview as it was live on RH, I did notice Hurst saying he was in the dilemma at 0-0 of "do we go more attacking" and saying any point away from home is a good point and we were nice and solid etc etc. So I do think 80s has the basis of a valid point.

I'm not having a go at PH by this but I thought to myself at the time that regardless of our previous record at Braintree, a team with ambitions to win the league should be going there for 3 points, not thinking 1 point would be a valuable point.

As TRRFC says above, I wish Hurst would have a bit more belief in our team and approach games like we mean business and are there to take 3 points, not be solid and compact and hope to nick a goal.

We've got some great attacking talent in this team and we could do some real damage with it with the right approach.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
November 6, 2014, 12:12am
Guest User
If you ask me to guess, PH was scared to change the team/formation/tactics and introduce some of his more attacking players/approach cos he fears some will complain (about "changing a winning team") if it goes wrong.

Yes on this occasion it worked but it doesn't always by any means (e.g Aldershot).
Same as it doesn't always work when you do...
But equally, there's countless examples where players have come into the side and we've won.

Yes I'm a scratched record, I know (I bore myself !)
But it's so frustrating trying to convince those who seem to believe the same 11 can play and win every game until the end of season that ultimately, it's near impossible !
Even if the same team could notch up x wins, who knows how jaded they would be come the sharp end of the season. (IMO)

Some fans (not you Tommy !) can't have it both ways...
If some fans don't like 4-5-1 they can't complain about "changing a winning team" if Hurst decides to bring in new personnel and changes the team away from 4-5-1 to a 4-4-2 !  

I really hope Neilson and Pittman (both who returned for the Gateshead win) play Saturday cos god know when they'll be back otherwise.
If they're left out to pasture indefinitely, what a awful waste of talent and squad resources it would arguably be.
Reply: 34 - 39
chaos33
November 6, 2014, 7:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
I agree with these excellent points rasied by Tommy and 80's and others about set-up and approach. I admit that if we'd have drawn that Braintree game 0-0 or lost 1-0, there would have been a raft of familiar criticism about these aspects! This time it paid off. People have to accept that 'tactical astuteness' can be defined by one moment in a game, rightly or wrongly.

As you say at the end of your post 80's - when are Nielson and Pitman and, I would add, McLaughlin (and perhaps Hannah too) going to be restored to the team? Having them not figure for 3 or 4 games can become problematic for lots of reasons, and people will always argue that winning teams shouldn't be changed -  easy to see the points on both sides of that argument. Personally I would play Nielson, Pitman and McLaughlin on Saturday, even if they only get 30-40 minutes at some point. I think we can still field a very strong team - perhaps many people's idea of our 'strongest team' (a complicated concept in itself) and try to nurture sharpness and morale across the squad. I suppose this is the problem you face when you have a strong squad and practically everyone is fit!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
November 6, 2014, 8:37am
Guest User
I agree chaos. (+1)

Quoted from chaos33
People have to accept that 'tactical astuteness' can be defined by one moment in a game, rightly or wrongly.

Can you elaborate on this point ?
Think I know what you may mean but you've lost me slightly I'm afraid !

Reply: 36 - 39
chaos33
November 6, 2014, 9:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
In the interests of brevity I'll simplify to this:

You win the Braintree game 1-0 and your tactics have paid off despite some (valid) criticism of how positive we might have set up. You draw or lose the game and see the return of the familiar criticisms about the way you set the team up, ambition, playing to win etc. The outcome and evaluation of result and performance hinges on Lennie's goal from our only real chance.

It goes in and we win 1-0  = general satisfaction. You miss the chance and draw or lose = the tactics were all wrong!

I'm not saying this is right or even fair, but it's how fans operate generally, and I'm no different.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
November 6, 2014, 9:10am
Guest User
Oh blimey !  

Please just spit it out..   

It's a results based business for sure.
Reply: 38 - 39
Rick12
November 6, 2014, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from codcheeky

Also a fantastic turnout by town fans again , looked to be nearly half the crowd
My thoughts as well.I remember when I went to the Barnet game last season away and our fans created a better atmosphere than theirs

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul Hurst post match interview.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.