November 20, 2014, 10:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
We have more than one fan on here who keeps saying it's in the wrong place,

One in particular writes only on this subject,

He says he is not a nimby but he could fool me.

Awaits for him to answer this.

If us fans can not agree to get behind Fenty on this,

I would not blame John saying ," stuff you I have tried my best and get very little support,"

It's up to us fans to back John if we want this to happen,

It is not costing us anything to get this ground but it will cost us ( the fans ) if we do not get one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
MarinerWY
November 20, 2014, 11:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,942
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
More fool them then Ginny. Football isn't about picking and choosing which team to watch. It should be down to the heart over ruling the head. Watching 2 teams I don't care about.........sorry, that's not for me

I couldn´t agree more personally, but some would argue where does that stop - you could argue that folk should be supporting our local EvoStick second division teams rather than a few extra miles to their local professional club. And without a doubt kids get influenced by the "glory" side of things, and if someone starts watching a team at 6-7 years old, going to the games and witnessing a great atmosphere, it's hard to turn around and tell them when they're 40 years old and have been going for over 30 years that they're not loyal, even if it was for dubious reasons in our opinions in the first place!

Not necessarily defending it (although it's different with kids and peer pressure and mates etc. of course there is a chance gonna follow the most succesful local-ish succesful team, good on the ones that don't!) but being realistic, if we don't attract a new generation we're gonna be even more down on crowd numbers when said generation have jobs and a bit of dispensible income to spend on going to the footy.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
grimsby pete
November 20, 2014, 11:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I could go up the road to Ipswich or Norwich and watch a lot higher grade of football,

BUT

I choose to visit place like Histon, Kettering, Braintree, Ebbsfleet and Dartford ect to watch my Grimsby,

Also on the subject of nimby's,

Bury Town ( St Edmunds ) wanted a new ground a few years ago and tried to relocate,

They are in the Town at the moment and found an ideal place on the edge of Town,

Because they could not make the move after several years of trying ( rings a bell )

They have dropped from nearly getting into the Conference South to fighting relegation,

Their gates have halved, I hope will do not follow the same course.

Please sign and do anything you can do to promote the venture,

By the way, I have a very large field next to my bungalow and if Bury Town wanted to build their new ground there,

I would not object, if fact I might even go and watch them now and again,

BUT

Grimsby will always be my 1st love.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
lee65
November 20, 2014, 11:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
I'll stick my head up above the parapet.
I'm 49, have and will support Grimsby all of my life, and I have signed the petition.
BUT, in honesty I'm guilty of apathy too, as we've heard it all before. I live near York, and they have council backing to re-locate to a ground within a mile of the Monks Cross shopping development, which is already gridlocked from about 11am - 5.30pm most Saturdays. I'm pleased for the club, but I can't see how they've got that through planning etc. We've seen Scunny have 2 new grounds in recent times, and am I right in thinking Boston are moving too?, plus Donny etc. etc.
I was in BP the day they gave out the Conoco hats (we beat Fulham 1-0 to cement staying up that season), and I actually believed we would soon have a new home. I think that was around 15 years ago.
I am neither pro or anti JF, but he must sometimes feel like walking away after all efforts fall foul of the anti brigade.
Sure I signed the petition, why wouldn't any Town fan?, but it will take a real see change of opinion and local government support to make anything happen soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
lee65
November 20, 2014, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Sorry spelling police....., "sea" change  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
headingly_mariner
November 20, 2014, 11:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from lee65
I'm 49, have and will support Grimsby all of my life, and I have signed the petition.
BUT, in honesty I'm guilty of apathy too, as we've heard it all before. I live near York, and they have council backing to re-locate to a ground within a mile of the Monks Cross shopping development, which is already gridlocked from about 11am - 5.30pm most Saturdays. I'm pleased for the club, but I can't see how they've got that through planning etc. We've seen Scunny have 2 new grounds in recent times, and am I right in thinking Boston are moving too?, plus Donny etc. etc.
I was in BP the day they gave out the Conoco hats (we beat Fulham 1-0 to cement staying up that season), and I actually believed we would soon have a new home. I think that was around 15 years ago.
I am neither pro or anti JF, but he must sometimes feel like walking away after all efforts fall foul of the anti brigade.
Sure I signed the petition, why wouldn't any Town fan?, but it will take a real see change of opinion and local government support to make anything happen soon.

I don't think it was that game, I think it was either the burnley game that Gazza played in or the Brighton game that saw us relegated, could be wrong about these but it deffo wasn't the Fulham game.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
fleabag1970
November 20, 2014, 12:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
It is money that talks , putting your name to a piece of paper never changes much . If we had a Billionair wanting to invest in the club/town then nothing would stand in his/her way !!
Thats why no one is interested in voting any more because nothing changes . Politicians promise the earth to get power and then just do what they like .

For my two penneth i think the Peaks site is not right for a football ground . The only place for it is somewhere along the A180 , not the Great coates side Obv's . Or next to Morrisons on laceby Road with a link road to the A180.

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
NorthseaMariner
November 20, 2014, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,518
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from lee65

I don't think it was that game, I think it was either the burnley game that Gazza played in or the Brighton game that saw us relegated, could be wrong about these but it deffo wasn't the Fulham game.

Don't think he said we got relegated. 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 20, 2014, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Def the burnley game re: Conoco hats

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
lee65
November 20, 2014, 1:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Deffo no apathy about when the hats made an appearance, cheers guys  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium apathy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.