This thread currently has 4,233 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
HotToddy
November 19, 2014, 10:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
It seems to me that a lot of Town fans are not bothered about having a new stadium and some feel that there is not much point in relocating whilst we are in the conference league. We will get out of this crap league one day and it would be nice to have a modern stadium waiting for us. Although 6,500 fans have signed the for petition so far, more than 3,000 of the De Freitas brigade have signed a petition against the new stadium. That is embarrassing IMHO. We took 30,000 fans to wembley on 3 occasions and 30,000 people have signed a petition against the new leisure centre on the Willows. So why haven't our fans signed the Peaks Parkway petition? Why do our fans let the nimbys have their say on the subject in the paper and nobody challenges or argues with them?
Logged Offline
Private Message
LongEatonMariner
November 19, 2014, 10:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HotToddy
It seems to me that a lot of Town fans are not bothered about having a new stadium and some feel that there is not much point in relocating whilst we are in the conference league. We will get out of this crap league one day and it would be nice to have a modern stadium waiting for us. Although 6,500 fans have signed the for petition so far, more than 3,000 of the De Freitas brigade have signed a petition against the new stadium. That is embarrassing IMHO. We took 30,000 fans to wembley on 3 occasions and 30,000 people have signed a petition against the new leisure centre on the Willows. So why haven't our fans signed the Peaks Parkway petition? Why do our fans let the nimbys have their say on the subject in the paper and nobody challenges or argues with them?

You've convinced me, where do I sign?

It's a shame that more haven't put their name to it but there's a long way to go yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 31
Nelly GTFC
November 19, 2014, 10:51pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,724
Gold Stars: 31
Pffft watch in make 10,000 within the next few days...

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 31
mariner2000
November 19, 2014, 10:54pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 3 - 31
moosey_club
November 19, 2014, 11:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,211
Gold Stars: 226
Apathy is the word, def;-  lack of interest or concern. Probably fuelled by 20+ yrs of broken promises, inactivity and ultimately hollow statements. The campaign being featured now in the telegraph doesnt give any real solid tangeable details to grasp onto and give hope it will actually happen... in effect.....please sign our petition to support something that we cant reveal exactly what it might be yet.....lets see some real, definate confirmed details and i am sure the petition numbers will rise

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 31
HotToddy
November 19, 2014, 11:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: -444
This is from the Telegraph web-site.

WE DO NOT WANT A NEW STADIUM AND CERTAINLY NOT IN TOWN OR ON A GREENBELT!!!! When will Fenty get it through his thick Skull??? SOMEONE PLEASE get the Petition started through Change.org against this stadium being built!!! You've got my signature! This town is being turned into a Supermarket infested concrete jungle.

I am sure that members of NELC read what these idiots have to say and take it on board. Why can't we get more of our fans on there, telling the Nimbys and the Councillors our thoughts?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 31
BPMariner
November 19, 2014, 11:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: -61
Gold Stars: 6
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 31
immariner
November 20, 2014, 1:08am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
Where are you? Let's be 'avin' you!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 31
ginnywings
November 20, 2014, 8:54am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Most fans have become indifferent after years and years of nothing concrete happening. Now there is a five year plan to add to all the other years that have passed with no end in site. The land hasn't even been procured yet, no plans drawn and nowt to get excited about. Add in boring conference footy and fans are just not feeling it.

I know of a few who now go and watch Hull, more's the pity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 20, 2014, 9:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
More fool them then Ginny. Football isn't about picking and choosing which team to watch. It should be down to the heart over ruling the head. Watching 2 teams I don't care about.........sorry, that's not for me

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 31
grimsby pete
November 20, 2014, 10:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
We have more than one fan on here who keeps saying it's in the wrong place,

One in particular writes only on this subject,

He says he is not a nimby but he could fool me.

Awaits for him to answer this.

If us fans can not agree to get behind Fenty on this,

I would not blame John saying ," stuff you I have tried my best and get very little support,"

It's up to us fans to back John if we want this to happen,

It is not costing us anything to get this ground but it will cost us ( the fans ) if we do not get one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
MarinerWY
November 20, 2014, 11:01am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
More fool them then Ginny. Football isn't about picking and choosing which team to watch. It should be down to the heart over ruling the head. Watching 2 teams I don't care about.........sorry, that's not for me

I couldn´t agree more personally, but some would argue where does that stop - you could argue that folk should be supporting our local EvoStick second division teams rather than a few extra miles to their local professional club. And without a doubt kids get influenced by the "glory" side of things, and if someone starts watching a team at 6-7 years old, going to the games and witnessing a great atmosphere, it's hard to turn around and tell them when they're 40 years old and have been going for over 30 years that they're not loyal, even if it was for dubious reasons in our opinions in the first place!

Not necessarily defending it (although it's different with kids and peer pressure and mates etc. of course there is a chance gonna follow the most succesful local-ish succesful team, good on the ones that don't!) but being realistic, if we don't attract a new generation we're gonna be even more down on crowd numbers when said generation have jobs and a bit of dispensible income to spend on going to the footy.

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
grimsby pete
November 20, 2014, 11:14am

Exile
I could go up the road to Ipswich or Norwich and watch a lot higher grade of football,

BUT

I choose to visit place like Histon, Kettering, Braintree, Ebbsfleet and Dartford ect to watch my Grimsby,

Also on the subject of nimby's,

Bury Town ( St Edmunds ) wanted a new ground a few years ago and tried to relocate,

They are in the Town at the moment and found an ideal place on the edge of Town,

Because they could not make the move after several years of trying ( rings a bell )

They have dropped from nearly getting into the Conference South to fighting relegation,

Their gates have halved, I hope will do not follow the same course.

Please sign and do anything you can do to promote the venture,

By the way, I have a very large field next to my bungalow and if Bury Town wanted to build their new ground there,

I would not object, if fact I might even go and watch them now and again,

BUT

Grimsby will always be my 1st love.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
lee65
November 20, 2014, 11:15am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
I'll stick my head up above the parapet.
I'm 49, have and will support Grimsby all of my life, and I have signed the petition.
BUT, in honesty I'm guilty of apathy too, as we've heard it all before. I live near York, and they have council backing to re-locate to a ground within a mile of the Monks Cross shopping development, which is already gridlocked from about 11am - 5.30pm most Saturdays. I'm pleased for the club, but I can't see how they've got that through planning etc. We've seen Scunny have 2 new grounds in recent times, and am I right in thinking Boston are moving too?, plus Donny etc. etc.
I was in BP the day they gave out the Conoco hats (we beat Fulham 1-0 to cement staying up that season), and I actually believed we would soon have a new home. I think that was around 15 years ago.
I am neither pro or anti JF, but he must sometimes feel like walking away after all efforts fall foul of the anti brigade.
Sure I signed the petition, why wouldn't any Town fan?, but it will take a real see change of opinion and local government support to make anything happen soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
lee65
November 20, 2014, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Sorry spelling police....., "sea" change  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
headingly_mariner
November 20, 2014, 11:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from lee65
I'm 49, have and will support Grimsby all of my life, and I have signed the petition.
BUT, in honesty I'm guilty of apathy too, as we've heard it all before. I live near York, and they have council backing to re-locate to a ground within a mile of the Monks Cross shopping development, which is already gridlocked from about 11am - 5.30pm most Saturdays. I'm pleased for the club, but I can't see how they've got that through planning etc. We've seen Scunny have 2 new grounds in recent times, and am I right in thinking Boston are moving too?, plus Donny etc. etc.
I was in BP the day they gave out the Conoco hats (we beat Fulham 1-0 to cement staying up that season), and I actually believed we would soon have a new home. I think that was around 15 years ago.
I am neither pro or anti JF, but he must sometimes feel like walking away after all efforts fall foul of the anti brigade.
Sure I signed the petition, why wouldn't any Town fan?, but it will take a real see change of opinion and local government support to make anything happen soon.

I don't think it was that game, I think it was either the burnley game that Gazza played in or the Brighton game that saw us relegated, could be wrong about these but it deffo wasn't the Fulham game.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
fleabag1970
November 20, 2014, 12:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
It is money that talks , putting your name to a piece of paper never changes much . If we had a Billionair wanting to invest in the club/town then nothing would stand in his/her way !!
Thats why no one is interested in voting any more because nothing changes . Politicians promise the earth to get power and then just do what they like .

For my two penneth i think the Peaks site is not right for a football ground . The only place for it is somewhere along the A180 , not the Great coates side Obv's . Or next to Morrisons on laceby Road with a link road to the A180.

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
NorthseaMariner
November 20, 2014, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,515
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from lee65

I don't think it was that game, I think it was either the burnley game that Gazza played in or the Brighton game that saw us relegated, could be wrong about these but it deffo wasn't the Fulham game.

Don't think he said we got relegated. 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 20, 2014, 1:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Def the burnley game re: Conoco hats

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
lee65
November 20, 2014, 1:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Deffo no apathy about when the hats made an appearance, cheers guys  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
grimsby pete
November 20, 2014, 5:11pm

Exile
I made the long trip up from Suffolk for that game,

BUT

They had run out of caps by the time I got there,!!!

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
ginnywings
November 20, 2014, 5:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Totally agree. I've been invited a few times over to watch Hull, free of charge by someone I do business with but I always decline. Town are the only team for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
HackneyHaddock
November 20, 2014, 8:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
It's pretty simple.  Grimsby is a dead-end, insular, skint town, with too many dead-end, insular, skint people filling it up, who can't see beyond their own little world, or the end of their allotment.

It's a place young people strive to get out of, rather than move to.  The result is that too many of those left behind are of a very low intelligence and not able to apply an strategic thinking to the betterment of the town.  We ripped down our nice architecture, built amenities in the wrong parts of town, failed to diversify after the loss of our key industry, have a bad attitude towards outsiders, and pooh-pooh anything that might potentially improve the area.  We wallow in our poverty, bask in our hair-shirt deprivation, and mock those who want to do better, instead of seeking it for ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
psgmariner
November 21, 2014, 12:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
It's pretty simple.  Grimsby is a dead-end, insular, skint town, with too many dead-end, insular, skint people filling it up, who can't see beyond their own little world, or the end of their allotment.

It's a place young people strive to get out of, rather than move to.  The result is that too many of those left behind are of a very low intelligence and not able to apply an strategic thinking to the betterment of the town.  We ripped down our nice architecture, built amenities in the wrong parts of town, failed to diversify after the loss of our key industry, have a bad attitude towards outsiders, and pooh-pooh anything that might potentially improve the area.  We wallow in our poverty, bask in our hair-shirt deprivation, and mock those who want to do better, instead of seeking it for ourselves.

The fish and chips are nice though.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
ackomariner
November 21, 2014, 2:02pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3

Plenty worse places in this country to live than Grimsby with worse people too

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
horsforthmariner
November 21, 2014, 4:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Lets get a few things straight:

A new ground is absolutely necessary:

1. Blundell Park is a commercially difficult location, it can't expand and it can't offer corporate activities that other football clubs can and do.

2. Blundell Park is creaking and needs some cash to make it safe in the long run.

3. Blundell Park is freezing (meterologically a couple of degrees colder, and certainly windier than just a mile inland) this puts people off.

The club will die unless it moves we all know this to be true and it's carried out a complex study and found a bit of minging ground off peaks parkway is the best solution) Can i point out Peaks Parkway is not the s**ding Lake District. It looks absolutely ripe for development. Its not green, its a muddy field.

So we need to build it and to do this we've got to get the majority of 45 Councillors onside. To do this we have to create pressure on the Councillors. My problem is the club isnt selling it.

Firstly it could set up a standalone website with artists impressions of the stadiums and casestudies of other successful moves. It needs to look cool and exciting. This will drag people up out their apathy.
Secondly it needs to work with Grimsby fans to get the petition in pubs, newsagents, post offices etc thats how you get lots of signatures.
Thirdly, the club needs to do more on matchdays to promote the stadium. I've not seen people collecting petitions outside the ground or anything like that.
Fourthly, it needs to get outside endorsements for the plan. Chamber of trade, Regional sports groups needs to be involved and give their backing.
Finally it needs to go on and hold consultations with the nimbys and throughout the town. If they can go to the Council and say we've held lots of meetings to try and mitigate the damage to the area for the stadium but the residents are been unwilling to compromise. They could even hire a polling company to do a poll. If they don't get the result they want they don't have to release it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
arryarryarry
November 21, 2014, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116

You obviously don't get out and about much.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
November 21, 2014, 9:42pm
Guest User
For me peakes parkway is the best site possible I've been saying this since the greatcoats stadium days, but if it's going to happen we need more support on board, now one of the best ways to drum up support would be to get some volunteers out there  go round the markets, have a petition booth on  st.peters ave, freemo, and top town and believe me the signatures would quadruple, Ive mentioned this before and I can't believe the club hasn't initiated it  it's guaranteed to get votes in by the thousands.
Reply: 27 - 31
HackneyHaddock
November 22, 2014, 12:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Yes Grimsby has problems, but I don't say they're unique to Grimsby or that Grimsby is the worst place in the world.  Living in London, I can walk or bike to dozens of boroughs all a good deal worse.  Sadly that doesn't change the fact that we have a backward council and too many backward people holding the area back in North East Lincs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
Meza
November 22, 2014, 8:37am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Yep north Acton in london is an awful place.  I've never felt so uncomfortable walking from the train station.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 22, 2014, 12:55pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from horsforthmariner

So we need to build it and to do this we've got to get the majority of 45 Councillors onside. To do this we have to create pressure on the Councillors. My problem is the club isnt selling it.

Can't we get sepp blatter in to do some consultancy work  

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 31
KingstonMariner
November 22, 2014, 4:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I'm a Town fan of 43 years standing. I see the need for a new stadium and understand all the arguments about non-matchday revenue streams. But I can't see how we can afford it. All we have are vague pronouncements about "enabling development". Until we see a solid proposition I'll not sign any petition.

All that happens when you raise genuine questions is get accused of being negative. If you can't persuade all your natural constituency you haven't a cat in hells chance of persuading the antis.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 31
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New stadium apathy

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.