6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Perkins
November 22, 2014, 5:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Neilson got MOM but how he got it god only knows. How the hell anyone can say we have the best defence in the league after today's performance baffles me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
Maringer
November 22, 2014, 5:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
Bloody rubbish throughout the team today. Struggling to think of anybody who had a better than competent game and too many of them were well out of sorts. The number of times we just passed the ball either straight to the opposition players or directly into touch was just embarrassing. Unfortunately, 4-3-3 just doesn't work for us at home as, let's face it, we are really playing a 4-5-1 despite what is claimed as the two wide players automatically drop back into midfield all of the time. It's disturbing how we always seem to have a rubbish performance just waiting to come out even when we're on a really good run of form. You could tell almost from the start today that we would be poor.

Considering that Parslow was meant to be a holding midfielder, he was just hopeless today - second to the ball every time and not much use at all. In the first half, Neilson was utterly anonymous but improved a little bit in the second half. On the other hand, Pell was OK in the first half but pretty much invisible during his time on the pitch in the second half. All in all, our midfield was very much second best to that of Kiddy who looked strong, quick and mobile.

The only (very slight) positive I can think of is that despite playing poorly in general, we actually created a few reasonable goalscoring opportunities and their keeper was forced into a few decent saves. The fact that we failed to finish off any of those chances is obviously a problem. Oh, we improved a bit after Disley and Pittman came on as well but still looked shaky at the back.

Ultimately, I don't think we're going to be challenging for top spot this season so we will just have to hope for a run of good form to take us through the play-offs.

I've come to the conclusion that the distribution of our defenders just isn't good enough so teams know they can sit back holding themselves defensively solid and we are going to struggle to pass it through them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
jimgtfc
November 22, 2014, 5:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,069
Gold Stars: 44
Poor start and didn't recover. Not sure where Aswad was for the first, shouldn't be up for corner or nowhere to be seen in the left back spot. Second goal was something we have lacked all season, decent delivery and players attacking the ball.

Toto continues to worry me, the guy looks class one minute then Sunday league the next. Huge gaps at back all day. Not sure what Parslow offers at home, looks like a centre half playing in midfield, need someone who offers more on the ball in there. Pell wasn't good enough, Brown didn't look fit to me. Nielson and Arnold were either not wide enough, narrowing the play to much or not supporting Lenny enough who had a tough afternoon up against the impressive Gowling.

Got to be 442 on Tuesday. But neither Hannah or Pittman give me confidence alongside John Lewis.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
RoboCod
November 22, 2014, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Onl caught the second half on the radio but you'd put money on us nt scoring, it's that predictable and inevitable. I can't take swipes at anyone as I wasn't there, but are Pell and Parslow really up to it? Will they actually strengthen our promotion push, I'm sure there are other players out there to still be made available for loan, maybe we need to take a good look and choose carefully because the midfield sounded as weak and lacking bite as ever until Diz came on.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
BIGChris
November 22, 2014, 5:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from jimgtfc
Poor start and didn't recover. Not sure where Aswad was for the first, shouldn't be up for corner or nowhere to be seen in the left back spot. Second goal was something we have lacked all season, decent delivery and players attacking the ball.

He wasnt up for the corner, he was marking their player who moved over to our right hand side. Did you think he should have just stood in the left back spot? No blame whatsoever on Aswad for their first goal!!
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
DocTower
November 22, 2014, 5:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Posts say it  all ,  Teams come here and know howceasy it's going to be . Pack the defence as we haven't a clue how to break them down . 90 seconds our unknown game plan collapsed total lack of skill , control , passion , leadership  . Two steps forward three steps back . Bilp maybe , but Christmas is getting close .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
chaos33
November 22, 2014, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from RoboCod
Onl caught the second half on the radio but you'd put money on us nt scoring, it's that predictable and inevitable. I can't take swipes at anyone as I wasn't there, but are Pell and Parslow really up to it? Will they actually strengthen our promotion push, I'm sure there are other players out there to still be made available for loan, maybe we need to take a good look and choose carefully because the midfield sounded as weak and lacking bite as ever until Diz came on.

We do have two other midfielders under contract but they're not getting a look in whilst the non-performing loanees are preferred. Frustrating for me that he'll give a loan defender a run of games in central midfield despite not putting in the performances, but he won't afford that same opportunity to  McLaughlin, who's had little more than the odd game here or there out of position and 10 minutes off the bench every few weeks.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
BIGChris
November 22, 2014, 5:56pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from DocTower
Posts say it  all ,  Teams come here and know howceasy it's going to be . Pack the defence as we haven't a clue how to break them down . 90 seconds our unknown game plan collapsed total lack of skill , control , passion , leadership  . Two steps forward three steps back . Bilp maybe , but Christmas is getting close .

Kiddy certainly didnt pack the defence, they got men forward at every opportunity and always had at least two up front
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Chrisblor
November 22, 2014, 5:57pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Carl Magnay's hitting the nail on the head on the radio right now. Giving the interview Hurst should be giving - identifying what went wrong, suggesting we don't need a holding midfielder at home and apologising for a shambolic performance.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 56
oldun
November 22, 2014, 6:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
What a dreadful first half performance and an early goal against stopped us before we got going. It was a joke of a goal so many players caught out of position and Pell's missed tackle was inexcusable. Not sure what Parslow was supposed to be doing. If he was playing a holding role, he did not get near the ball, did not cut out passes, did not win tackles and did not set anything up going forward. He might as well have been sitting near me. The whole team lacked confidence on the ball and were too slow against a sharp Kiddy team. Craig Clay should have replaced Pell to give us some bite and energy. Obviously conceding a second from a corner early in the second half was a disaster and whilst we put them under pressure as the game wore on we did not create any real clear chances and their Keeper saved our efforts on goal well. We will certainly have to play with more pace and quality on Tues to avoid another set back. In terms of cementing our place at the top today was an opportunity missed. On today's showing we do not look like a championship winning side, far from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.