Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Ground ........... why?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 143 Guests

New Ground ........... why?

This thread currently has 2,195 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
November 23, 2014, 7:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
I'd love to know how all the clubs smaller than us or even bigger are surviving with out a flashy new ground ?? Accy stanley , Exeter  etc    or is it just a smoke screen ?

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Poojah
November 23, 2014, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,397
Gold Stars: 1,497
How are Accrington Stanley and Exeter surviving? Unsustainably, just like us. They survive for as long as directors continue to prop up their losses, and no longer.

John Fenty is a wealthy man, but I doubt he has the wealth or inclination to continue financially supporting the club forever. If that were to happen tomorrow, then the only options are to shrink rapidly or die.

That's the start reality of the situation, but to look at it in a more aspirational way let's consider our collective ambitions for the club to return to something like it's former glory - somewhere between a mid-table Championship side and a top-half League One outfit. Admittedly, I'm plucking numbers out of the air here but I suspect a squad capable of that would cost somewhere between £10m and £20m a year in salaries in today's climate. I think our entire turnover last year was less than £2m.

Plot the success of clubs of clubs who have moved to a new stadium in recent years that they own (ownership is key) and you'll find that in most cases their financial and footballing fortunes have had a massive shot in the arm. Off the top of my head:

Stoke City
Cardiff City
Swansea City
Rotherham United
Brighton
Chesterfield
Etc.

Hull don't own their stadium, but there's no way they'd have got to where they are now at Boothferry Park. Ultimately, if you want Town to still exist in any meaningful way in 20 or 30 years time (or perhaps even less) then we're going to need a new stadium. The same is probably true for most clubs of our size who continue to do what they can in some decrepit old shed with a pitch in the middle.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
fleabag1970
November 23, 2014, 8:24pm
Fine Wine Drinker
thanks for that ... does that mean Football is over stretching itself at all levels?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 14
GrimRob
November 23, 2014, 8:40pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Poojah wins Post of the Day

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 14
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 23, 2014, 9:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Poojah
How are Accrington Stanley and Exeter surviving? Unsustainably, just like us. They survive for as long as directors continue to prop up their losses, and no longer.

John Fenty is a wealthy man, but I doubt he has the wealth or inclination to continue financially supporting the club forever. If that were to happen tomorrow, then the only options are to shrink rapidly or die.

That's the start reality of the situation, but to look at it in a more aspirational way let's consider our collective ambitions for the club to return to something like it's former glory - somewhere between a mid-table Championship side and a top-half League One outfit. Admittedly, I'm plucking numbers out of the air here but I suspect a squad capable of that would cost somewhere between £10m and £20m a year in salaries in today's climate. I think our entire turnover last year was less than £2m.

Plot the success of clubs of clubs who have moved to a new stadium in recent years that they own (ownership is key) and you'll find that in most cases their financial and footballing fortunes have had a massive shot in the arm. Off the top of my head:

Stoke City
Cardiff City
Swansea City
Rotherham United
Brighton
Chesterfield
Etc.

Hull don't own their stadium, but there's no way they'd have got to where they are now at Boothferry Park. Ultimately, if you want Town to still exist in any meaningful way in 20 or 30 years time (or perhaps even less) then we're going to need a new stadium. The same is probably true for most clubs of our size who continue to do what they can in some decrepit old shed with a pitch in the middle.

Every club is different. Brighton had their ground sold and had to play at Gillingham for 2 seasons before getting back into Brighton courtesy of the council.

Chesterfield were virtually broke as were Swansea and both were kept in being by new stadia funded by retail parks that were part of a much bigger development plan. Interesting that the same financiers that saved Hull City by brokering the deal with the council over the KC sell-off were involved in the same thing at Swansea.

Rotherham have a very wealthy owner but also got help to develop a brownfield site while cheating their way through administration.

The point is that new stadia do not save clubs on their own though they can be part of the saving of clubs as long as it fits with someone else's financial agenda.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
tashee69
November 24, 2014, 7:18am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23

courtesy of the council.

What's that mean. Thought councils meant "no". Surely other councils can't be wanting their local team to be a success.  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
fleabag1970
November 24, 2014, 7:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
I was playing Devils Advocate to try and get a debate going on Why we need a new ground and where it should be. It is alright the club telling the fans to back the compaign but it is also nice to look at the UN biased facts surrounding the move .....................The club seem to be losing 20k per month as it stands ........... How much would they lose in a 14k all seater ? I'm just asking the questions thats all ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
fleabag1970
November 24, 2014, 8:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
And i get a red cross for asking a question, Glad my kids dont go to your school

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
WOZOFGRIMSBY
November 24, 2014, 8:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,788
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from fleabag1970
I was playing Devils Advocate to try and get a debate going on Why we need a new ground and where it should be. It is alright the club telling the fans to back the compaign but it is also nice to look at the UN biased facts surrounding the move .....................The club seem to be losing 20k per month as it stands ........... How much would they lose in a 14k all seater ? I'm just asking the questions thats all ?

Should've posted on here and not started a thread, but ch4 @ 9pm

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Biccys
November 24, 2014, 10:51am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from GrimRob
Poojah wins Post of the Day

That's twice now innit...?!?!? I seem to recall another popular post of Poojah's?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Ground ........... why?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.