Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Go for it ................................
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 360 Guests

Go for it ................................

This thread currently has 1,537 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
fleabag1970
November 27, 2014, 8:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Luton , Crawley , Fleetwood , Barnet(this year ?)  even Cambridge have all played fast flowing attacking football and achieved their aim of getting out this League . Not only that but they have gone on to take league 2 by storm and some even settle in league one . I know you are going to say Money was the main Factor but Money doesnt buy the style . I believe we have the players that can play this fast , direct pressing football .
Against Scunny , Huddersfield and Northampton  we played this way last season with great results . Against Oxford this Season we showed we have possibly gone backwards in the way we play despite having a better group of players .
So my question is do we go excrement or Bust and just Go for It ?  

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
springstomind
November 27, 2014, 9:44am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
This topic has been widely discussed this year.  It's a tough one as we DID have a great run if games playing 451 (supposedly 433).  However (despite what Paul Hurst says) after a poor performance against Kidderminster, we reverted to 442 and played much better.  I do recall a lot of games where we've started very poorly with 451 (Lincoln) but then brought on and/or pushed up a striker and looked better at 442 (451). Im struggling to think if a game where we've started 442 and needed to revert to 451 (433) because we were being completely outplayed.  I will leave these decisions to the manager who knows the opponents strengths and weaknesses more than any fans, but rather than "go for it" and risk shipping goals, I'd keep the same approach which has led to us conceding only 18 on 23, however one thing I would like to see is the manager worrying about the opponents strengths and setting up to counter them.. Every interview I hear him say, so and so is the in form man, we need to watch so and so etc.  LJL is the in form man and we have the players to cause any team problems in defence. Don't go gung-ho but for me more 442 and more
Confidence and belief BEFORE the game has even kicked off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 6
fleabag1970
November 27, 2014, 9:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
Great Post !! You are right , we have LJL  and the best defence in the League .

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 6
Maringer
November 27, 2014, 9:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Money was certainly the main factor with Luton, Crawley and Fleetwood as their budgets allowed them to sign lots of very good attacking players for this level. Don't know much about Barnet from this season, but their goals scored column so far would indicate they are pretty potent in attack.

However, I'd definitely disagree with you about Cambridge. Their game was based on having a solid defence and nicking the odd goal here and there. If you remember, we were hardly prolific last season, yet they only scored 7 more goals than us. Their defence was very good indeed and that was the difference.

I also think you're confusing the difference between a style of play and how well you actually play. We played well last season against Scunny, Huddersfield and Northampton and (mostly) achieved good results. This season, we played terribly against Oxford and were well-beaten. If we had played reasonably well against Oxford but were still well-beaten, you might have a point, but we didn't put in anything like a decent performance so the result was as much our fault as theirs.

I wouldn't say that we played particularly fast football in those games last year, because we didn't have much of the way of pace in the team. In fact, we're still lacking in pace in the central midfield area so I'd say we aren't perhaps as well set up to play a pressing game as some of the teams we have faced this year.

Regardless, Hurst sets up his teams to be tough to beat, so we can't expect to see a sudden change around to all-out gung-ho attacking. What we do need to do is work our counter-attacks much better this season. On Tuesday, we must have fluffed a dozen decent counter-attacking opportunities through bad decision-making and poor passing. If we can improve in this area, we'll become much more of a problem to teams.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 6
mimma
November 27, 2014, 10:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
Don't think Luton played free flowing football here last year.

Packed defence, everyone behind the ball, caught us the break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 6
grimsby pete
November 28, 2014, 4:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
For away games Hurst has got it right,

It's the home games he needs to tell the players to go for it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 6
MuddyWaters
November 28, 2014, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from grimsby pete
For away games Hurst has got it right,

It's the home games he needs to tell the players to go for it.

For two reasons - one, to get the opposition on the back foot, and two to get the crowd up for it. Too many home games have a quiet start, the crowd goes quiet and there's no atmosphere. Away games are fine when all our vocal support is in a concentrated area but at BP there are little pockets in each stand who just seem to go quiet when we are poor.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 6
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Go for it ................................

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.