Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Traffic Issue?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 275 Guests

Traffic Issue?

This thread currently has 9,339 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 17, 2014, 10:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,289
Gold Stars: 126
[quote=3172]
If staff live away from this town by choice, then they should pay for the mini bus & driver !

/quote]

If your employer offered you a years contract and then expected you to move home would you? Being out on a geographical limb we already struggle to attract the right calibre of players. A lot of players in their mid/late twenties and beyond have families. The financial realities of short term contracts at this level dictate the behaviour.
Alas it might not be "rocket science" but it is never quite as simple as it seems...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
nickmariners
December 18, 2014, 12:01am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from barralad
[quote=3172]
If staff live away from this town by choice, then they should pay for the mini bus & driver !

/quote]

If your employer offered you a years contract and then expected you to move home would you? Being out on a geographical limb we already struggle to attract the right calibre of players. A lot of players in their mid/late twenties and beyond have families. The financial realities of short term contracts at this level dictate the behaviour.
Alas it might not be "rocket science" but it is never quite as simple as it seems...

Well mate - perhaps the long-term strategic answer to this particular topographical-demographic conundrum is simply to take the fantastic new stadium idea to the extreme and build the Youngs/J Fenty Superbowl Arena somewhere near Doncaster...or Milton Keynes maybe.  They have excellent transportation links.

Only joking.   Or am I?

I'll get me coat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Biccys
December 18, 2014, 8:23am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
It would be a valid point if it weren't for the fact that many people on here are expected to move house potentially every 3 years, or even less. The military have a habit of pesky postings to the nether regions of the country and moving house isn't really a choice. It's a necessity. Footballers are paid, dare I say, more handsomely than most airmen, sailors and soldiers so yeah, make them move to the area their employer is and if they can't or won't, don't employ them.
Town have a few local guest houses that they use to house the younger or single players, I remember Ryan Bennett saying he had done great times as a young player in those digs, perhaps we offer a relocation package that isn't as attractive to some more senior players? Who knows what goes on in contract negotiations?!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 70
barralad
December 18, 2014, 8:57am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Biccys
It would be a valid point if it weren't for the fact that many people on here are expected to move house potentially every 3 years, or even less. The military have a habit of pesky postings to the nether regions of the country and moving house isn't really a choice. It's a necessity. Footballers are paid, dare I say, more handsomely than most airmen, sailors and soldiers so yeah, make them move to the area their employer is and if they can't or won't, don't employ them.
Town have a few local guest houses that they use to house the younger or single players, I remember Ryan Bennett saying he had done great times as a young player in those digs, perhaps we offer a relocation package that isn't as attractive to some more senior players? Who knows what goes on in contract negotiations?!

That couple of sentences encapsulates the problem for me. The military provide accommodation for not only single servicemen but families. The support networks are there. As you say many postings are a minimum of three years. Players signing contracts for one season at the fifth level of English professional football who have families will not want to relocate but, instead will stay in the Midlands etc. where there are several clubs within easy reach. I honestly believe that expecting players to relocate would signify the end of any possibility of ever getting back in the Football League

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
moosey_club
December 18, 2014, 9:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from barralad
I honestly believe that expecting players to relocate would signify the end of any possibility of ever getting back in the Football League

not relocating hasnt exactly worked out as yet has it ?

Maybe this season.....(again)....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
barralad
December 18, 2014, 1:47pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from moosey_club

not relocating hasnt exactly worked out as yet has it ?

Maybe this season.....(again)....

Fair point-and I'm trying not to appear like a smart-ar*e lawyer here but I'm sure a while back we adopted such a policy-which didn't work either! We're all doomed I tell you!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
Tom13
December 18, 2014, 2:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / 0
Approval: +270
Quoted from barralad

Fair point-and I'm trying not to appear like a smart-ar*e lawyer here but I'm sure a while back we adopted such a policy-which didn't work either! We're all doomed I tell you!

I'm sure Newell and Woods insisted players lived in or around Grimsby, definitely Newell anyway?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
ackomariner
December 18, 2014, 2:09pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I don't give a monkeys where they live as long as we get promotion.

When I was a bricklayer I worked in London for a year and never moved lock, stock and barrel down there, so wouldn't expect players to move here for a years contract

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
moosey_club
December 18, 2014, 2:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,238
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from barralad

as its Panto season....

Oh no we didnt...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
barralad
December 18, 2014, 3:24pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from moosey_club

as its Panto season....

Oh no we didnt...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Traffic Issue?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.