5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
December 19, 2014, 11:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +85 / -20
Approval: +9,192
Gold Stars: 121
A very good win against a very difficult team. The wind played a big part. Both Town goals came from excellent balls into the box-the first from Magnay (who was absolutely bloody brilliant tonight especially in the first half) the second (I think) from The Shop for Disley to finish really well.
At times we stopped playing football and tried to match their big boot.
Several Town players stopped in the lead up to their goal for an offside decision which never came.
Pearson got "sucked in" a couple of times by Parkin and we did give away too many free kicks in areas where their big strike force could do us some real damage. Broadly speaking the defence held together very well. Parslow did well.
Some sloppy passing from the midfield, with Disley the biggest culprit, kept the fans on edge. Mackreth disappointing-again.
Apart from Magnay's accidental kick in the face-from Disley(?) there was a worrying moment when JPP landed heavily on what looked like his shoulder after a heavy but fair tackle but he seemed to get over it.
All in all a good start to the Festive Period.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Les Brechin
December 19, 2014, 11:17pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,633
Gold Stars: 168
Carl Magnay is rapidly becoming one of my favourite Mariners players of the last 10 years.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
Doubled
December 19, 2014, 11:20pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
Not quite just back, as I thought a beer was more important than posting!
I enjoyed the match, the shops goal looked awesome from the upper ship spotting stand!
I have no voice left from booing Hughes!
Have just seen the refs previous matches, explains some of his decisions.
It was windy, played a big part in the first half.
I thought we were good value for the win, FGR were poor though.
A good three points, no booking for Toto, which is good.
Nice solid play off place for Xmas!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
Maringer
December 19, 2014, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -11
Approval: +16,070
Gold Stars: 175
It was windy until half time and then it died right down which made it a bit easier for them than it should have been in the second half!

FGR have got a lot of pretty good players but seemed to be less than the sum of their parts. That central defender they had was massive as well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
mariner91
December 19, 2014, 11:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,137
Gold Stars: 249
Thought we did okay without ever really going up the gears, think there were definitely goals to be had against their centre backs who were donkeys. If only we'd gone for it a bit more. I'm certain Parkin was well offside leading up to their goal, he was jogging back onside when he received it! But luckily we had the only proper moments of quality with two superb assists, Magnay's in particular was sublime. I thought Toto looked good tonight and Pittman and Lenny and Arnold seem to be developing a good understanding. If we got JPP firing on all cylinders I think he is our ticket out of this league, a classy player. Mackreth again disappointing. For a player who seems to rely on pace, he's very reluctant to make runs in behind the full back, he usually checks back to get it to feet but he doesn't really have the skill to beat his man from a stationary start. Magnay MOM for me, excellent performance which we've come to expect but what a signing he is. How Mills thought it would be wise to let him go is anyone's guess. Bring on Macclesfield.

Oh and I thought the ref was very poor.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
moosey_club
December 19, 2014, 11:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,132
Gold Stars: 220
Looked a fairly straight forward home win up until half time, not impressed with FGR at all, fairly toothless and the usual danger man Norwood was well marshalled by Magnay, the tricky wind aided our channel play and i really expected us to roll them over easily.......
should have known better....second half just never got started and the usual pattern of sitting deeper and deeper for the first 15-20 mins appeared again...silly free kicks....hoof ball clearances and desperate blocks all preludes to the inevitable equaliser.....looked like we were going to chuck it away but the goal woke us up a little and astonishing tactical substitution by Hurst    made immediate impact, Clay on allowing Dizzly Rascal to push forward more and...bang 2-1.....followed by another lengthy period of sitting back, panic and non too confident defending.

Overall thought FGR where poor and one dimensional and disappointed we didnt push hard when well on top. With the scrambles in the final minutes and that one that somehow drifted through past everyone we just scraped through.

Magnay was outstanding, Disley, Toto also and LJL and the Pope linked well first half.  Brown, Arnold, Makreth didnt bring anything for my money and Parslow looked shaky.

3 more on the board.   UTM

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
Tommy
December 19, 2014, 11:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,850
Gold Stars: 76
Quite a decent game to watch and a really good win. The ball was in play a lot more than when we play against the part-time outfits so it made for a better spectacle, especially when the referee started letting the game flow after blowing for the slightest contact in the first 20 minutes.

We scored 2 very good goals. The two assists were fantastic. Magnay played the ball in from the left with the outside of his right boot and LJL was alive to get onto it first and prod it in. For the second LJL played a great ball through and Disley got onto it to finish well after making a great, brilliantly timed run.

For FGR's goal i thought there was an offside in the build up, but we still could've dealt with it a bit better. Was disappointing to concede because we were looking the more the likely to score next with a couple of dangerous breaks.

I have to be honest and say that when I saw Clay coming on I said I would swap Disley for him. He was winning a lot in the air but Brown had linked things up well at times in the final third. Then about a minute later, Disley does what he has made his trademark - well-timed run into the box and he gets a goal.

Overall we weren't troubled too much. McKeown saved well in the 1st half when the player should've scored and there was a free kick 2nd half that tricked through everybody without a touch and just flashed past the post. Apart from that they didn't threaten our goal.

I thought the back 4 did really well. Pearson battled well with Parkin and got the better of him until he started giving away a few free kicks 2nd half. Magnay was brilliant, as Barra said especially 1st half when he seemed to be a magnet for the ball. And Nsiala, IMO had his best game for us so far - didn't put a foot wrong and dominated.

Arnold showed some clever touches and fed the front 2 well. Mackreth didn't get much change out of their leftback but worked very hard to help Parslow out.

LJL and JPP linked well and were dangerous. LJL was winning flick ons all night and Pittman was reading them and giving FGR defenders decisions to make. Pittman showed some lovely turns in the 1st half too to get away from his man. If we can keep these 2 fit and playing together we will be a threat to anyone.

Merry Christmas and UTM

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
bobbyturtle
December 20, 2014, 12:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
close call for man of the match for me, ljl or magnay, will have another beer then decide.
job done utm

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
bobbyturtle
December 20, 2014, 1:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
how hughes and someone else failed to put that one eludes me.  

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
Theimperialcoroner
December 20, 2014, 1:40am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,050
Gold Stars: 92
Thought we did pretty well tonight. The two passes for the goals were superb, but the runs were both perfect too. Disley again showing why he's undroppable, Pittman and LJL a unit and the defence spot on. Magnay is too good for this league; class!

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.