Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 352 Guests

General Election Predictions

This thread currently has 30,221 views. Print
22 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
January 25, 2015, 5:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
100 days to go. Regardless of who you want to win, stick you neck and say what you think will happen.

I predict David Cameron will stay on as Prime Minister, probably not with a Tory majority, he'll maybe to have to form a collation with the Ulster Unionists. UKIP will get about 5 seats, the Greens 1, Lib Dems around 20. Scotland will cost Labour a majority.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Doubled
January 25, 2015, 5:26pm
season ticket holder
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +43
I predict this will get bumped to non footy!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 219
Manchester Mariner
January 26, 2015, 10:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
It will certainly result in a coalition with the worst case scenario being some sort of Tory and UKIP coalition, the ConKips if you will.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 219
carrot top
January 27, 2015, 1:01pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +22 / -1
Approval: +811
Gold Stars: 2
Hung Parliament probabaly, god help us. I'm all for ditching austerity like the Greeks. Make those pay for the mess they created not the public.
In Greece there are 300,000 cut off from the electricity supply as they were sacked by the Govt and had no means to pay, which is quite frankly disgraceful in this modern world.

Who would I want in power? Nobody floats my boat at the moment FFS. A complete overhaul of the political system would be needed IMO

[color=black]The Ecky 1977
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 219
maxfox44
January 27, 2015, 1:14pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +139
I can't imagine Red Ed will fight for our cause in Europe at all.  Cap in hand to German Angel-hell, like the rest of Europe.

I think we'll end up with Red Ed and his trusty side kick Nicola Fishface (SNP).  So Scotland will be effectively running the UK, how ironic!

I remember being pelted with ice by the Norwich fans during the Milk Cup match, do you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 219
AdamHaddock
January 27, 2015, 1:24pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,746
Gold Stars: 24
Labour -  Lib Dem coalition. Although Clegg will lose his Sheffield Hallam seat and many  other Lib Dem seats in student areas like Manchester Withington. Labour will just take back a few of the swing seats they lost last time like Cleethorpes.

SNP 20
Plaid 5
Green 4
UKIP 3

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 219
horsforthmariner
January 27, 2015, 1:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,575
Gold Stars: 8
Clegg won't lose Hallam. The Lib Dems won all but one the seats at the Council Elections in his constituency last May and loads of students have been kicked off the register with individual voter registration.

Anyway my prediction. The Tories will win most votes, but Labour will win most seats and will run a minority Govt with the help of the SNP/Plaid and Irish voters. It will be an absolute disaster as Labour will have 5 years of infighting between the Blairites and the left wingers with a weak Milliband in the middle.

The Tories will also implode as they tack to the right to counter UKIP, irritating their moderates.

It's basically a recipe for disaster.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 219
Maringer
January 27, 2015, 4:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Anyone but Osborne, please. The man's incompetent or crooked (possibly both) and some of the bare-faced lies about his achievements with the economy he's coming out with at the moment beggar belief. You don't expect the right-wing dominated press to report on this, but the BBC's failure to point it out shows how they have become lapdogs of the government. Hardly surprising when you see arch-Tory Nick Robinson as their political editor.

As for the election itself, I can see either a hung parliament or a coalition being on the cards. Anything involving the Conservatives and we might as well turn off the lights and go home now. Heaven only knows what sort of ideological bullshit they would come up with - most of the stuff they have passed since getting into power wasn't even mentioned in their manifesto at the last election and anything but a further transfer of wealth from the poor to the rich seems unlikely.

The LibDems' vote really ought to be wiped out. Their main claim for votes at the upcoming election appears to be that they have been able to moderate the Tories excesses but, if so, they haven't done a very good job of it! I expect they will remain the third party, however. As usual, they will take enough votes from left-leaning voters to give the Tories (possibly with Kipper allies) a chance of power. I tend to doubt they will end up with enough seats to be instrumental in forming a coalition.

This election really should have been a slam-dunk for Labour. The Conservative-led government firstly put a stop to a burgeoning recovery with badly-timed austerity and then had the gall to claim their plan a success, despite the fact that they actually eased off austerity in 2012, leading to the current weak recovery. The fact that Balls & Co haven't pointed out this salient fact makes me wonder what the flip they have been doing with themselves? If your opponent claims they have done something and it provably isn't true, surely you should point it out?

Anyway, Miliband doesn't come across well in the media either due to his awkward personal style. Unfortunately, in the modern day, you need to look and sound right or you won't get a chance and he doesn't look or sound right. As it stands, with the ranks of the right-wing press gunning for him, endlessly playing man not ball (He finds it difficult to eat a chewy bacon sandwich? He can't possibly be PM!), he's actively become a detriment to his party. Personally, I think he's a bit uninspiring, but nothing like as bad as the press are keen to have you believe. One positive thing I could say about him is that he's awkward enough that I don't think he could get away with telling lies in the way that somebody as slick as Cameron does!

UKIP are a joke of a party with a joke of a leader and a manifesto which is a joke (or it will be, if they ever finish it). Not surprising, really, as they are a one-trick party who thinks everything will be well with the world if we left the EU. Their claims of the savings which will be made if we were to leave the EU are mind-bogglingly high and the rest of their policies are typical neo-liberal claptrap with no basis in reality. It's bad enough that they've won a couple of seats down south but if they were to actually win in Grimsby that would just be embarrassing. It would be like turkeys voting for Christmas.

As usual, the Greens will win plenty of votes, but not enough to win more than one or possibly two seats. They are much too left wing for the majority of voters (nobody is going to vote for a Citizens Income, however reasonable it might be) and I wouldn't vote for them because their energy policy is bonkers. Wouldn't surprise me if they took enough votes off Labour/LibDem candidates here and there to gift seats to the Conservatives, however.

As for the SNP, I have to say that I don't actually mind most of their policies! They are further to the left than the very centrist Labour party and I agree with much of what they say (and do) economically in Scotland. However, the collapse of the Labour party up in Scotland (mostly due to incompetence, it must be said), means that they may end up gifting power to the Conservatives.

If it came to it, I would probably favour a Labour/SNP coalition to some degree, as I think they might actually be able to put some reasonable policies through, but this would be politically untenable to most voters in England. Reasonably so, as well.

I wonder if we might end up seeing a minority Labour government propped up by informal agreements with various other parties such as the SNP/Plaid Cymru, Greens and the LibDems with free votes on policies? It would be interesting to see how a proper coalition would work, not just one where the smaller party does little more than bend over and touch its toes for the larger one...

Yeah, I know. TL;DR  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 219
grimsby pete
January 29, 2015, 3:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I predict the Tories will form a coalition with the SNP and UKIP.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 219
barralad
January 29, 2015, 10:18pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from grimsby pete
I predict the Tories will form a coalition with the SNP and UKIP.

The latter wouldn't surprise me...there is more chance of them forming a coalition with Sinn Fein than the SNP!

In other news it is rumoured that the Tories aren't going to try very hard to win in Grimsby in return for UKIP not trying very hard in Cleethorpes...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 219
22 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › General Election Predictions

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.