January 27, 2015, 10:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,483
Gold Stars: 10
... At Concorde hotel near the ground

Great win.

Excellent first half, should've been out of sight by half time.  No bad performances, though Jolley not match fit in my opinion. Not sure about bringing Parslow on to protect what we had, as it invited pressure, but hey, I guess it worked.

Brilliant support again, you could see the players smiling at some of the banter.
This squad certainly play for the shirt, and credit due to them for all coming over to the fans at the end

Palmer never stops, great goal, sign him up to the end of the season if possible.

Magnay, he's what the crowd love, no lack of skill, but hard as nails. Seeing him close up making challenges (and enjoying them) almost reminds me of a slightly cleaner Bobby Cumming

Well done to all at GTFC, onward and upwards  
Logged Offline
Private Message
chicaneuk
January 27, 2015, 10:10pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Game sounded great on the radio - first half sounded like it was almost all town with no shortage of play and opportunities!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
TownSNAFU5
January 27, 2015, 10:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42

Comment from an Eastleigh fan today:

"This should be a cracker of a game, the first 30 minutes is important tonight - 1 game in 17 days, we won't be quick out the blocks but Grimsby should tire towards the end you would expect with 3 games in 7 days and a fair bit of travelling".

Well, we were quick out of the blocks, and dominated the first-half.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
mike_d
January 27, 2015, 10:31pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
And a sensible substitution when we tired and looked in danger of being overrun in midfield?

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
GrimRob
January 27, 2015, 10:32pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
As comfortable a win as it is possible to be 1-0

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 42
mariner chopper
January 27, 2015, 10:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Solid display from everybody by the sounds of things!

How many hearts in mouths moments did Toto have tonight? Tondeur made it sound like there was at least 4 or 5!

I also had reservations about Parslow coming on - I think everyone had an onslaught of abuse ready regards tactics if we would've then conceded!

Also - was Pearson's a clear handball? Only touched upon by Tondeur but said it looked pretty stonewall!

After seeing Martin Butler and Gary Jones together at Stockport away in December 2007, I never thought a 'Lump' and 'Lump' partnership would work but Ollie and The Shop seem to be proving that theory wrong!

Useless fact - looking at the fixtures, after next midweek at Dover we have no more midweek games for the rest of the season (weather permitting). Just constant Saturday, Saturday, Saturday until the rest of the season (with the exception of Easter Monday). We must be one of the only teams in the league with this schedule and should be (I hope) a massive advantage! Makes a change from a congested Trophy timetable!

UTM (I actually had the Pisces song come on shuffle today aswell!!! Lucky Omen)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 42
BIGChris
January 27, 2015, 10:35pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Fantastic win. Only down side was we should have won by a few more!

The goal was a result of a defensive howler but very well finished by Ollie. Shame he and others didn't have the same composure when the plethora of chances came our way.

Don't know if that is a 'normal' Eastleigh performance but they didn't have an effort on goal until about the 88th minute. Much heralded Constable and Midson spent all game trying to win free kicks, embarrassingly so most of the time.

Thought Nathan Arnold had his best game in a town shirt, Zlatan, like Saturday, seems to get stronger as the game progresses and Toto was very strong along with Maggers. Robertson was strong and very steady.

Nobody had a poor game.

A much better performance than 0-1 sounds

UTM
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
arryarryarry
January 27, 2015, 10:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Some comments from the Eastleigh forum :-

"Thought Grimsby looked a class above us tonight. The first time I've thought that all season in watching the home games. We huffed and puffed but really never imposed ourselves on them. It could have been that we were rusty from not having played for so long, but they looked well drilled, strong, quick and incisive and I thought deserved their victory. Especially given it was their third game in a week."

"No complaints about the result tonight, Grimsby probably the best team we have seen at the Silverlake this season. They were strong but not dirty, quick, played good football & their defence was marginally just too good for us"

"Agree with that- decent side Grimsby. Looked like we could nick a draw late on but the better team won."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
lee65
January 27, 2015, 10:42pm
Champagne Drinker
McKeown - decent game, some good catches and a good save and collect from a header late on, still wish he was more commanding in the 6 yard box

Robertson - looks useful, took up good defensive positions, solid in the tackle, decent in the air, and tried to get forward. Not had chance to judge his pace as no one tried to "run" him

Magnay - great game, it's all been said before

Pearson - solid and reliable if not spectacular, usual stupid booking when he got wrong side of his man and pulled him down

Toto - good game, won most things in the air and on the floor, carried the ball out well and hit a few good long diagonal passes

Arnold - excellent first half, good pace, lots of effort, and tackling too. Faded second half and gave the ball away a few times in the last 15 mins

Jolley - a few decent touches, but a bit off the pace (perhaps not match fit, looked to be breathing heavily from early doors)

Clay - excellent energy first half, closing down really quickly, shame he hit a great chance straight at the keeper just before half time

Diz - quietly effective, a few nice touches, great attempt in second half (at least he forced the keeper to make a good save)

LJL - good game, strong as ever, could've had a couple of goals (but only half chances), should've had a pen (but the ref bottled it and gave a corner as the easy option)

Palmer - lead the line well, great pace and skill for a big guy, never stops running. Made his opportunity for the goal by pressing their defender, and an excellent finish. I worry if he keeps playing like this then surely Mansfield will recall him.

Parslow - I'm not sure of the tactic of "protecting what we have", but to be fair he kept it simple with some nice neat short passes and ball retention

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
lee65
January 27, 2015, 10:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from mariner chopper
Solid display from everybody by the sounds of things!

How many hearts in mouths moments did Toto have tonight? Tondeur made it sound like there was at least 4 or 5!

I also had reservations about Parslow coming on - I think everyone had an onslaught of abuse ready regards tactics if we would've then conceded!

Also - was Pearson's a clear handball? Only touched upon by Tondeur but said it looked pretty stonewall!

After seeing Martin Butler and Gary Jones together at Stockport away in December 2007, I never thought a 'Lump' and 'Lump' partnership would work but Ollie and The Shop seem to be proving that theory wrong!

Useless fact - looking at the fixtures, after next midweek at Dover we have no more midweek games for the rest of the season (weather permitting). Just constant Saturday, Saturday, Saturday until the rest of the season (with the exception of Easter Monday). We must be one of the only teams in the league with this schedule and should be (I hope) a massive advantage! Makes a change from a congested Trophy timetable!

UTM (I actually had the Pisces song come on shuffle today aswell!!! Lucky Omen)

Definitely seen Pearson's handball given, one of those 50/50 ones...., we would've shouted for it, and couldn't have complained if ref had pointed to the spot
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.