Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 139 Guests

If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

This thread currently has 7,556 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2015, 3:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Southampton have implemented many of the measures that Big Chris wisely suggested.  They have a record of bringing on youth players that is second to none.  They also recruited their current manager to continue developing their young players and play football in the same way as their previous manager.  Good old continuity.

God forbid we do that!  
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 3:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
I'd do what the germans do for one season and trial it. I'd slash the ticket prices to £5/£10. Get safe standing installed in the Pontoon and offer season tickets for £50 and £150.
Hopefully, we'll hit the ground running and get 6,000+ every week backing the team and push us to promotion.

I would also ofcourse clear debts and bring in some very talented players (ontop of what we already have) who SHOULD get us promoted 1st time around of asking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2015, 4:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Nobody (apart from me  ) has mentioned the manager they would like if money was no object. I said my choice was Evans because he might be a tosser but he knows how to get results. Big Chris doesn't want the job but possibly Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who is doing pretty well just now or even Justin Edinburgh. Or go to Scotland for a manager like Norwich have done?
Any other offers?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Chrisblor
February 27, 2015, 4:44pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from moosey_club

Was it played at the National Stadium?
Watched Barbados vs Trinidad in the last round of world cup qualifiers at the national stadium, had a cracking time.

Yeah, complete with Barbados flag themed blue and yellow running track around the pitch, a pre-match blessing and prayer and sountracked by a DJ playing reggae every time there was a break in play.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
oldun
February 27, 2015, 4:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Give Paul Hurst a 10 year contract
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
Garth
February 27, 2015, 6:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
I`d pay of JF loans, get voted onto the board, keep JF on as Chairman, because a) he deserves to experience the good times after supporting the club through the bad, and b) because he has more business sense than me and is trustworthy regarding the clubs affairs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
rancido
February 27, 2015, 7:22pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Fascinating opinions. It looks like people are more concerned with a stadium than the playing side, BC being the main exception.

Personally I would want to ensure league status as THE priority. As such I would appoint a manager with a proven track record for promotion and managing smaller clubs. Though I can't stand him as a person, that would be Evans lured from Rotherham. Then I would would bribe players to come here who have proven ability and are at the peak of their game. Tubbs would be one of the first. Players would be well paid but the main reward would be a big bonus system for league position and promotion.

Once the club was up and running in the league, that would be the time to fix the ground. Plan A would be to settle a complex including training ground etc. on the docks/Freeman Street area. Plan B would be to buy up the housing round BP. Plan C would be Great Coates. The current training ground would be redeveloped and it would be there that the community facilities, conference suite and so on would be located under Plan B. There will also be a Centre of Excellence for a youth policy directed by Big Chris!

The idea is to ultimately make the club self-sufficient in a football sense and to get it settled in L1 or the Championship. I have no ambition to see GTFC in the Prem, it would cause more problems than it would solve. I would like to see us win the FA Cup though!

I'll put my two quid on tonight and let you know if I win.

Unfortunately both Plan A and B would require planning permission that I'm sure would be not forthcoming. I doubt very much that ABP would sell any land off and the planners would certainly not allow Freeman Street area to be used for a football stadium.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
moosey_club
February 27, 2015, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,142
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yeah, complete with Barbados flag themed blue and yellow running track around the pitch, a pre-match blessing and prayer and sountracked by a DJ playing reggae every time there was a break in play.

I trust you chose VIP area rather than the standard.....loved the experience of my visit, supping beer watching the game,peanuts, relaxed atmosphere.....when  i asked for a teamsheet i was directed to the press office, knocked on the door and the Barbados FA Chief Press Officer answered..."i'll just print you one" he said.. haha

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2015, 8:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

Unfortunately both Plan A and B would require planning permission that I'm sure would be not forthcoming. I doubt very much that ABP would sell any land off and the planners would certainly not allow Freeman Street area to be used for a football stadium.

Spoilsport.  

We can dream can't we?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 8:28pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I would convert the whole of the pontoon to safe standing. Whilst pushing for a new stadium to be built elsewhere (takes time, which is why I'd convert the pontoon as a short term compromise, pretty much what the club is already hoping to do).

I'd set a higher standard of customer service and public relations. And aim to get fans more involved with the club, by holding competitions, events and can think of a few other ideas, but not of the top of my head.  

I would also set a bigger budget to cover wages and transfers for better quality players and manager (no disrespect to Hurst, but money talks and with money we'd be able to afford a better quality manager).

But as players and managers come ago, my main aim would be to find ways to make match days enjoyable for the fans no matter the result. So that the fans keep turning up and backing the club. I'd make the fans feel as if they are part of the club. Just as I do my Facebook page, without the fans, it be pointless.

I could probably think of other things I'd like to add, but would have to think on it longer.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.