Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 346 Guests

If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

This thread currently has 7,608 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 26, 2015, 8:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Just for fun while it's a bit quiet.

Let's suppose your ship came in this week and the biggest Euromillions jackpot ever was all yours to play with. You can do as you have always dreamed and own the club you have supported and loved since being an infant. What would you do?

Apart from hot Bovril and better toilets, how would you take the club forward?
Where would you locate a new ground? Or would you re-vamp the BP you have cherished all these years?
Is there a manager you would entice to Grimsby?
Are there players you think could get the club straight out of the Conference and up the leagues?
What would be your realistic ambition for the club?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
KK_DOG
February 26, 2015, 8:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I'd give Fenty 30 million and tell him to get us into the football league and get this stadium built.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 55
promotion plaice
February 26, 2015, 8:22pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from KK_DOG
I'd give Fenty 30 million and tell him to get us into the football league and get this stadium built.

But don't pick the next manager...

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 55
grimsby pete
February 26, 2015, 8:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
I would do a MK Dons,

I would transfer GTFC to Bury St Edmunds ( Bury Town )

I would build the new stadium in the field next to my garden.

Only Joking,

I would give Fenty £40 million to get us back up the leagues and for the new stadium at Peakes Parkway.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 55
pizzzza
February 26, 2015, 8:25pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from KK_DOG

Are you mad? If I put 30 million in I'd want to be running the show myself.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 55
BIGChris
February 26, 2015, 8:53pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Make JF an offer for his shares/debt.

Clear every penny of other borrowing.

Talk to Paul Fletcher( former CEO of Burnley & Bolton) and one of the most knowledgable people I know about football and football clubs. Taking advice on board I would pay top dollar for the best, forward thinking exec I could find.

Push on with the stadium

Incentivise fans over pricing, I.e. Sell 4000 season tickets at one price & 5000 season tickets @ a lesser price.

Every 5 yr old in the area to get a free Town goody bag contains something like a shirt or track suit top but various smaller items. Set up reward schemes for them to attend with their family.

Everything would be geared towards  developing a real community club

Huge investment in the academy, including facilities, residential hostel for youth team. Attract the best local kids and the best youngsters released from Prem clubs. Look into the Southampton model for youth set up

Training ground revamp with emphasis on sports science, strength and conditioning coaches

Enough money provided to be top budget in the league but again more would be provided if the fans show their commitment with season tickets shirt sales etc.

No involvement in what players we sign as that isthe managers job!

All good fun but I will never win the lottery
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 55
fleabag1970
February 26, 2015, 8:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: -1,244
OMG you would give JF 30 Million Pounds .............................. Its 30 Million not 30 Quid FFS

]Remember its just my opinion  ..... It might not be true ............
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 55
Fcukthescunts
February 26, 2015, 8:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +776
Big Chris has thought about this before! I would invest the money but not be involved day to day and pay someone to run it for me.
New ground def and be called Kev Moore Park with former player names for stands/ corporate bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 55
LH
February 26, 2015, 9:01pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
BIGChris for FIFA president!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 55
KK_DOG
February 26, 2015, 9:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from pizzzza

Are you mad? If I put 30 million in I'd want to be running the show myself.

Last thing I would want to be doing is running the show  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
February 26, 2015, 9:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Just for fun while it's a bit quiet.

Let's suppose your ship came in this week and the biggest Euromillions jackpot ever was all yours to play with. You can do as you have always dreamed and own the club you have supported and loved since being an infant. What would you do?

Apart from hot Bovril and better toilets, how would you take the club forward?
Where would you locate a new ground? Or would you re-vamp the BP you have cherished all these years?
Is there a manager you would entice to Grimsby?
Are there players you think could get the club straight out of the Conference and up the leagues?
What would be your realistic ambition for the club?

To be fair, hot Bovril and better toilets would be a huge step forward.

If money really was no object I would build a "Fishing heritage" stadium on the docks; new stadium to be shaped like a trawler and have the Buckley stand as the home end, and a Bill Shankly stand and a Mcmenemy stand. The stadium restaurant would serve the finest fish dishes known to man with porthole windows overlooking the pitch, and the site would include wet fish shops and something like Steels world famous fish and chip shop.

I would get the best manager money could buy, and get him to change his name by deed poll to Buckley, and then buy players to play the Buckley way.

Fentys benign loans would be paid back at 50 pence a week, and he would become the clubs new official handyman complete with uniform and oversize gloves.

Prices would be subsidised to ensure 15k went every week.

I reckon my plan is a winner but the only trouble is I don't even play the lottery which is a shame.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 55
promotion plaice
February 26, 2015, 9:16pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from BIGChris

Talk to Paul Fletcher( former CEO of Burnley & Bolton) and one of the most knowledgable people I know about football and football clubs. Taking advice on board I would pay top dollar for the best, forward thinking exec I could find.

Push on with the stadium

Incentivise fans over pricing, I.e. Sell 4000 season tickets at one price & 5000 season tickets @ a lesser price.

Every 5 yr old in the area to get a free Town goody bag contains something like a shirt or track suit top but various smaller items. Set up reward schemes for them to attend with their family.

Huge investment in the academy, including facilities, residential hostel for youth team. Attract the best local kids and the best youngsters released from Prem clubs. Look into the Southampton model for youth set up

Training ground revamp with emphasis on sports science, strength and conditioning coaches

Enough money provided to be top budget in the league but again more would be provided if the fans show their commitment with season tickets shirt sales etc.

All that and free entry to the Fishy Pontoon Buster Game ( present Fishy members only ) with a £50,000 prize pot.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 55
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2015, 9:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from LH
BIGChris for FIFA president!

After he's been chair of GTFC and taken us to Champions League glory.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 55
Nelly GTFC
February 26, 2015, 9:35pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,734
Gold Stars: 31
In the first year of taking over, I would give EVERYONE a free season ticket, to make a small compensation for the excrement people have had to put up with over the last 15 years or so.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 55
moosey_club
February 26, 2015, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
1. Register myself as a player.
2. Make myself captain.
3. Sign friends and family as players.
4. Re-name the ground.
5. Have one season pretending to be a footballer.

6. Sell the club the next season for £1 to suitable interested parties which would include £30m funding for the new owners to develop the club.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 55
kingster72
February 26, 2015, 10:21pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -7
The 1st and most important job of anyone taking control, would be to rid us of Lord Fenty once and for all.  He is solely responsible for the clubs 10 year decline and where this club currently is.  The sooner he is gone the better, so please someone win euro millions and invest in GTFC, so the good times can at last return that JF has taken away.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 55
MuddyWaters
February 26, 2015, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from kingster72
The 1st and most important job of anyone taking control, would be to rid us of Lord Fenty once and for all.  He is solely responsible for the clubs 10 year decline and where this club currently is.  The sooner he is gone the better, so please someone win euro millions and invest in GTFC, so the good times can at last return that JF has taken away.

You'll get loads of red crosses for radical views like that  
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 55
gaz57
February 27, 2015, 12:44am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from moosey_club
1. Register myself as a player.
2. Make myself captain.
3. Sign friends and family as players.
4. Re-name the ground.
5. Have one season pretending to be a footballer.

6. Sell the club the next season for £1 to suitable interested parties which would include £30m funding for the new owners to develop the club.

Numbers 1,2,3 and 5 makes me think your real identity is Mike Lyons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 55
Abdul19
February 27, 2015, 12:52am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
I'd appoint 80sglory as manager.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 55
Green27
February 27, 2015, 7:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
Build a training ground with the best facilities.

Buy all the houses behind the Main Stand rotate the pitch 90 degrees use the Findus as an end stand and build larger stands either side and construct a covered grass bank at the end with heaters lots of heaters.

Every summer plan a huge summer beach football tournament for local and national teams to compete in.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 55
cmackenzie4
February 27, 2015, 7:39am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Let's hope BIGChris wins that lottery tonight then.  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
gary_elton
February 27, 2015, 7:39am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.20
Rep Score: +23 / -6
Approval: +1,243
Gold Stars: 6
I would most certainly not " give " any money to the club or those running it , I would offer the local
councillors a cash reward each to make sure a new dockside stadium got an instant go-ahead...

it would be a pleasure to watch their faces contort in a mixture of pain and pleasure as they toyed with their
consciences , knowing full well that greed would would win , they accept a big fat cash wad and all of a sudden
think bollox to voles and newts , line their own pockets and we'd be at a new home within 2 years... but I'd make
the councillors sign a document banning them from any similar office in future...

Then I'd pay for the stadium to be built . Steels and Becketts would be re-located to the new Ponny and
Main stands.... Jason could sell wetfish ,Blakey could walk your dogs while you watched the match , Dean
could run a souvenir shop , and the Mariners trust bar would have  ten different real ales on draught....

Bollox... I just woke up....  

All my pictures , Seem to fade to black and white.... (Reg Dwight)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2015, 8:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Fascinating opinions. It looks like people are more concerned with a stadium than the playing side, BC being the main exception.

Personally I would want to ensure league status as THE priority. As such I would appoint a manager with a proven track record for promotion and managing smaller clubs. Though I can't stand him as a person, that would be Evans lured from Rotherham. Then I would would bribe players to come here who have proven ability and are at the peak of their game. Tubbs would be one of the first. Players would be well paid but the main reward would be a big bonus system for league position and promotion.

Once the club was up and running in the league, that would be the time to fix the ground. Plan A would be to settle a complex including training ground etc. on the docks/Freeman Street area. Plan B would be to buy up the housing round BP. Plan C would be Great Coates. The current training ground would be redeveloped and it would be there that the community facilities, conference suite and so on would be located under Plan B. There will also be a Centre of Excellence for a youth policy directed by Big Chris!

The idea is to ultimately make the club self-sufficient in a football sense and to get it settled in L1 or the Championship. I have no ambition to see GTFC in the Prem, it would cause more problems than it would solve. I would like to see us win the FA Cup though!

I'll put my two quid on tonight and let you know if I win.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
headingly_mariner
February 27, 2015, 8:48am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I would become major shareholder, start making erratic decisions that see the club relegated three times, all the while lending the club the money to fail to be successful and create a debt to myself so that no interested parties could take the club on as a viable option. I would try and barge a couple of new stadiums through and royally wind up most of the decision makers in the town who could actually help me have it built, I would spend a lot on planning these but not manage to build one.

Once every couple of months I would probably have a rant through a statement on the club's official website, I wouldn't have anyone proof read it, I would try my best to make my statement divisive and tough to read. I would not read the copy of PR for Dummies that I got for Christmas 13 years in a row. I would ban any media that asks me questions that I don't really want to answer and I would use the local paper to get my views out the way I want them heard.

I would employ managers that can use computers!!!!!

But mostly I would urge everyone to be positive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
fleabag1970
February 27, 2015, 9:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
I would Start up a new team, AFC Grimsby , Build a 5000  capacity ground and then just enjoy trying to get the club through the leagues and into the holy grail of League 2 !! . The nickname of the Team would be " Trawler Men" and they would play in Blue for Home Games !  I would appoint Nigel Adkins as Manager to get us through the Leagues . The First 2 seasons it would be FOC to get in  assuming we were allowed to enter at Step 6 or 7 ? The Ground would be called " Hope Park " . Children would receive free Sweets and a program for every game for the first two seasons .  A youth set up would be set up from u7's upwards with the emphasis is enjoyment and confidence !!  Then I would wake up in a cold sweat as I don't even do the bloody Lottery ...............Its the idiot TAX don't you know .............................................

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
lew chaterleys lover
February 27, 2015, 9:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Fascinating opinions. It looks like people are more concerned with a stadium than the playing side, BC being the main exception.

Personally I would want to ensure league status as THE priority. As such I would appoint a manager with a proven track record for promotion and managing smaller clubs. Though I can't stand him as a person, that would be Evans lured from Rotherham. Then I would would bribe players to come here who have proven ability and are at the peak of their game. Tubbs would be one of the first. Players would be well paid but the main reward would be a big bonus system for league position and promotion.

Once the club was up and running in the league, that would be the time to fix the ground. Plan A would be to settle a complex including training ground etc. on the docks/Freeman Street area. Plan B would be to buy up the housing round BP. Plan C would be Great Coates. The current training ground would be redeveloped and it would be there that the community facilities, conference suite and so on would be located under Plan B. There will also be a Centre of Excellence for a youth policy directed by Big Chris!

The idea is to ultimately make the club self-sufficient in a football sense and to get it settled in L1 or the Championship. I have no ambition to see GTFC in the Prem, it would cause more problems than it would solve. I would like to see us win the FA Cup though!

Yes apologies, most of us have been rather flippant with our replies.

Big Chris hit the nail on the head, and I am sure most of us would endorse what he said.

I think a club with vision, a certain way of playing and professional in everything we do would be the aim in a perfect world.

I think we would naturally rise up the leagues then, and the crowds would increase, but we could maximise the number of supporters by including them in the ultimate "community club"

Grimsby Town and proud!

UTM  
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 27, 2015, 10:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Id get appointed to the council and in the first meeting ask :

1- do you want a proffesional football team in the area

2- if above is yes, ask which places are viable, and likely to be allowed to build a new ground

3 - consult supporters  for ground ideas

4- offer free season to those that have bought season tickets while being in the conference (1 for each year bought)

5- freedom of the park to the class of 98

6- a realistic budget for the manager

7- subsidised away coach travel for away games

Fingers crossed!!!!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
MeanwoodMariner
February 27, 2015, 10:22am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Change the name.
Change the kit colour.
Use the Glazier debt-saddling model.
Pick the squad and team myself.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
grimsby pete
February 27, 2015, 10:38am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222

Yes apologies, most of have been rather flippant with our replies.

Yes agree,

I would not really give Fenty £40 million,

But

I f I had won £100+ million,

After making the rest of the family millionaires,

I would invest up to £40 million in the club,

I would not want to run things myself but insist on a say how the money is spent,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
ska face
February 27, 2015, 11:09am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
I have absolutely no desire to ever be the sole owner /Chairman of the club - whatever you put in it'd never be enough for some.

If I did have the money, the first thing I'd do is get Fenty paid up and copulated off within the first day. I'd have a lifetime ban on him too.

Then, like Chris, I'd clear all remaining debt & give the club a clean slate to start from.

You may say I lack ambition, but I'd hate to see GTFC involved in the Premier League in it's current state. Quite frankly, it is everything that is wrong with the game and I wouldn't want to associate myself with a team full of divers and cheats being paid £300k a week. The most fun I've had watching town has been on the occasions where the fans have been able to enjoy themselves, aren't shepherded to & from train stations/coaches, and where we've been able to relate to the players & form a bond of sorts with them - Barnet was a perfect example.

As such, I wouldn't bankroll us through the leagues, chucking money at people just here for a payday with no thought for the club. Look at FGR - do any of their players look at the 15 fans they take away and think that they're playing for them? Course not.

I want the fans to have a meaningful say in the running if the club. As such, I'd gift the Trust £10m for them to spend as they see fit (or as BigChris suggests!), but this cash could only be used once a certain number of fans have committed to becoming a Trust Member - say 5000. That way, we'd know if there is an appetite at GTFC for a sustainable, fan-run club or whether people just want to see us signing shithouses like those at Chelsea.

We're not Gretna, we're not Forest Green, we're not Crawley or Fleetwood or any other of these joke clubs.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
devon mariner
February 27, 2015, 11:14am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +111
I would build a new stadium on a plot of land in Barbados and sign up anyone who was willing to come and play.  Free entry for anyone over 58 or under 15.  The only player that I would try to buy would be Lionel Messi as he might attract 1 or 2 supporters.  Everyday would be a Bob Marley day and we'd do some jammin.  We would probably get more away supporters than we do at the moment.

Forever Black and White
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 55
DocTower
February 27, 2015, 11:38am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Ska is right regarding cash to the Trust , just dumping X amount to the club it would just filter away . There's always someone willing to spent other persons money .   I really don't know about moving  the stadium , we have been scuppered so many times . A new main stand and some alterations to bring us to a 12000 seater would be quite sufficient  .  Cost would be about 7 million , spinning the ground to take the houses in Harrington St would be again controversial and long winded .  A sensible  wage structure , you get what you pay for . Do what AB did any player has to move to the area , offer 2 year contacts  with clauses to prevent us being shafted .
Have a 5 year plan , have , let's say 2 million per year available for players expenses running costs . Involve schools , bring kids in each home game , have their own section .  Our geographical location does make it difficult to entice players  who prefer city life so we have to make it attractive for them . Get these players to go to schools as they have too much spare time . Offer players alternative education for when their career  is over .
All dreams , but nice dreams , I dream about getting just 3 numbers but it never happens . In it to win it .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 55
Chrisblor
February 27, 2015, 11:47am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,781
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from devon mariner
I would build a new stadium on a plot of land in Barbados and sign up anyone who was willing to come and play.  Free entry for anyone over 58 or under 15.  The only player that I would try to buy would be Lionel Messi as he might attract 1 or 2 supporters.  Everyday would be a Bob Marley day and we'd do some jammin.  We would probably get more away supporters than we do at the moment.

[url=http://www.concacaf.com/article/barbados-guyana-play-to-2-2-deadlock]I was at Barbados v Guyana the other week[/url]. It finished 2-2 but the standard was laughable considering the Barbados team supposedly comprised the island's 11 best players - everyone ran around like headless chickens and fired in shots from all over the place! Based on that game I reckon Town would dominate the Barbados Premier League!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 55
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 11:53am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from BIGChris

Push on with the stadium

Trust you to overlook the catering side of things cos you are on a diet selfish old git!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 55
1mickylyons
February 27, 2015, 11:54am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from gaz57

The man is an imposter
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 55
mariner91
February 27, 2015, 12:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,627
Gold Stars: 260
I'd do the same as BIGChris but I'd also invest in a scouting system that covers the lower leagues extensively. Scunny are a perfect example of getting players with raw potential and polishing them before selling them for a big profit. It is the best model for a small club to go for after producing home grown players (which BC had already covered so we'd have both).
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 55
fleabag1970
February 27, 2015, 12:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Just so you know there is more chance of getting killed on your way to buying the Lottery Ticket than winning ........ Take care guys !!  Its the Idiot Tax you know

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 55
moosey_club
February 27, 2015, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

[url=http://www.concacaf.com/article/barbados-guyana-play-to-2-2-deadlock]I was at Barbados v Guyana the other week[/url]. It finished 2-2 but the standard was laughable considering the Barbados team supposedly comprised the island's 11 best players - everyone ran around like headless chickens and fired in shots from all over the place! Based on that game I reckon Town would dominate the Barbados Premier League!

Was it played at the National Stadium?
Watched Barbados vs Trinidad in the last round of world cup qualifiers at the national stadium, had a cracking time.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 55
moosey_club
February 27, 2015, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from gaz57

Dont exaggerate....where did i say i would play myself up front and take all free kicks?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 55
TownSNAFU5
February 27, 2015, 3:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Headingly_Mariner, I like your style above.  However, getting the club relegated 3 divisions has been done before.     

I have not seen any reference to half-time entertainment. We should give everybody a flag.   How about our Chairman goes in the away end and sees how many kids flags he can snap in 15 mins? We could keep a record for each home game.  

Southampton have implemented many of the measures that Big Chris wisely suggested.  They have a record of bringing on youth players that is second to none.  They also recruited their current manager to continue developing their young players and play football in the same way as their previous manager.  Good old continuity.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 55
MuddyWaters
February 27, 2015, 3:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Southampton have implemented many of the measures that Big Chris wisely suggested.  They have a record of bringing on youth players that is second to none.  They also recruited their current manager to continue developing their young players and play football in the same way as their previous manager.  Good old continuity.

God forbid we do that!  
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 55
lukeo
February 27, 2015, 3:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I'd do what the germans do for one season and trial it. I'd slash the ticket prices to £5/£10. Get safe standing installed in the Pontoon and offer season tickets for £50 and £150.
Hopefully, we'll hit the ground running and get 6,000+ every week backing the team and push us to promotion.

I would also ofcourse clear debts and bring in some very talented players (ontop of what we already have) who SHOULD get us promoted 1st time around of asking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2015, 4:16pm
Special Brew Drinker
Nobody (apart from me  ) has mentioned the manager they would like if money was no object. I said my choice was Evans because he might be a tosser but he knows how to get results. Big Chris doesn't want the job but possibly Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink who is doing pretty well just now or even Justin Edinburgh. Or go to Scotland for a manager like Norwich have done?
Any other offers?

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 55
Chrisblor
February 27, 2015, 4:44pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,781
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from moosey_club

Was it played at the National Stadium?
Watched Barbados vs Trinidad in the last round of world cup qualifiers at the national stadium, had a cracking time.

Yeah, complete with Barbados flag themed blue and yellow running track around the pitch, a pre-match blessing and prayer and sountracked by a DJ playing reggae every time there was a break in play.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 55
oldun
February 27, 2015, 4:44pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Give Paul Hurst a 10 year contract
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 55
Garth
February 27, 2015, 6:05pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
I`d pay of JF loans, get voted onto the board, keep JF on as Chairman, because a) he deserves to experience the good times after supporting the club through the bad, and b) because he has more business sense than me and is trustworthy regarding the clubs affairs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 55
rancido
February 27, 2015, 7:22pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96

Unfortunately both Plan A and B would require planning permission that I'm sure would be not forthcoming. I doubt very much that ABP would sell any land off and the planners would certainly not allow Freeman Street area to be used for a football stadium.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 55
moosey_club
February 27, 2015, 7:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yeah, complete with Barbados flag themed blue and yellow running track around the pitch, a pre-match blessing and prayer and sountracked by a DJ playing reggae every time there was a break in play.

I trust you chose VIP area rather than the standard.....loved the experience of my visit, supping beer watching the game,peanuts, relaxed atmosphere.....when  i asked for a teamsheet i was directed to the press office, knocked on the door and the Barbados FA Chief Press Officer answered..."i'll just print you one" he said.. haha

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 55
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 27, 2015, 8:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Unfortunately both Plan A and B would require planning permission that I'm sure would be not forthcoming. I doubt very much that ABP would sell any land off and the planners would certainly not allow Freeman Street area to be used for a football stadium.

Spoilsport.  

We can dream can't we?

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 55
GiveUsAG
February 27, 2015, 8:28pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I would convert the whole of the pontoon to safe standing. Whilst pushing for a new stadium to be built elsewhere (takes time, which is why I'd convert the pontoon as a short term compromise, pretty much what the club is already hoping to do).

I'd set a higher standard of customer service and public relations. And aim to get fans more involved with the club, by holding competitions, events and can think of a few other ideas, but not of the top of my head.  

I would also set a bigger budget to cover wages and transfers for better quality players and manager (no disrespect to Hurst, but money talks and with money we'd be able to afford a better quality manager).

But as players and managers come ago, my main aim would be to find ways to make match days enjoyable for the fans no matter the result. So that the fans keep turning up and backing the club. I'd make the fans feel as if they are part of the club. Just as I do my Facebook page, without the fans, it be pointless.

I could probably think of other things I'd like to add, but would have to think on it longer.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 55
TAGG
February 27, 2015, 9:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from KK_DOG

I'd give Fenty 30 quid and tell him to fook off and never come back.
You asked  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 55
HackneyHaddock
February 27, 2015, 10:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Clearly most of us have enjoyed daydreaming this one through before!  Here's my plan:

-  Pay off JF's loans and thank him for his contribution
-  Implement those measures proposed by BigChris
-  Sit down with the manager and ask him what he needs in order to get the club promoted
-  Safe standing in the whole of the Pontoon while the new ground gets the go-ahead
-  Work with the council to get the new ground approved ASAP
-  New Training facilities with artificial pitches and community facilities
-  Secure the future of the ladies' team and get more girls and women involved in the club
-  Strengthen the Youth Programme and hire Borussia Dortmund's Academy Coach Gary Gordon as a consultant
-  The new ground to be designed to incorporate a pastiche of styles:  brutalist tribunes in the style of Nantes or Eastern Europe, Archibald Leitch gabled grandstands, cavernously-roofed sweeping terraces straight out of a Lowry painting, modern plaza-style concourses with comfort and families in mind.  Red brickwork reminiscent of the Dock Tower and Port buildings to reflect the town's heritage.  All with great facilities.

In addition, I would want to implement some ideas aimed at setting the long-term tone for the sort of football club GTFC ought to be, including:

-  A Club Constitution, setting out the relationship between fans, board, trust, team and community.
-  A healing of old rifts, burying hatchets and righting of wrongs:  People like John Cockerill should never have to pay for as much as a biscuit at BP
-  Learn from other clubs such as St Pauli in Germany about creating a fan-culture that has room in it for all types of supporters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 55
lukeo
February 28, 2015, 6:23am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
I've changed my mind, i'd clearly be loaded so i'd spend every evening in Nicoles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 55
nickmariners
February 28, 2015, 11:46am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
1 Amalgamate with Scunthorpe Utd
2 Re-name - Humber South Viking Steelers
3 Change kit to black, claret, white, blue.
4 Move to a new stadium with better transport links --  Doncaster A1 area
5 Re-name again Humber Dons
6 After a couple of seasons + 2 more promotions, move to somewhere else with better transport and bigger catchment area - Milton Keynes maybe
7 Re-name MK Dons-Dons
8 Change kit again to colours that my brand new east European super-model girlfriend prefers - eau de nil and taupe anyone?
9 Sell to an overseas owner with zero knowledge of English football and culture as a high-end tax avoidance, money-laundering vehicle
10 Move to warm tax-favourable island, disappear from public view

Or ----- I might just concentrate on developing a successful football team and then properly renovating BP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 55
KK_DOG
February 28, 2015, 12:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Is it going to happen, did anyone win? I didn't
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 55
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 2:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,111
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KK_DOG
Is it going to happen, did anyone win? I didn't

Not much chance of me winning. Never bought a lottery ticket in my life.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 55
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › If you owned Grimsby Town FC ......

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.