Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 296 Guests

Just back..

This thread currently has 9,096 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
mimma
February 28, 2015, 5:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Same as Tuesdays game, they chased & harried us we couldn't get going.

Great goal, brilliant long ball onto Dis's head & he put it away.

Not a lot else to say, we defended well, Magnay is a class above this league. Nobody had a bad game athough Pitman struggled in the 2nd. half.

Oh... & another poor ref made the game worse.
Logged Offline
Private Message
mariner tommy
February 28, 2015, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
First half was absolutely awful.
Slight improvement in the second half.
But, what the hell, three points is what matters now.
The referee was the worst of the season.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
bobbyturtle
February 28, 2015, 5:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
Gold Stars: 18
Another 3 points utm

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
Hagrid
February 28, 2015, 5:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
We won and its all that matters.  Credit dis, his goals are worth so many points to us
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
Chrisblor
February 28, 2015, 5:33pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
Excellent work from Magnay and Disley for the goal aside it was a dire game. We were toothless in attack and I don't remember their keeper needing to make a save. John Lewis and Pittman were both poor and isolated up front. We either hoofed it up to no effect or tried to play on the ground where we were too slow in movement and possession to create anything.

We rode our luck especially when Hurst brought Parslow on for John Lewis and changed formation to 5-4-1. Fortunately for Mr Negative they got a player sent off almost immediately after the substitution, but we still sat back, invited pressure and were very lucky when they flashed a late free header wide. It was clear to see we needed more of a presence up front to hold up the ball and keep the pressure on 10 man Braintree. Ollie Palmer could have done this, but yet again Hurst took the defensive option and we just about got away with it.

Thankfully we've only got 1 home game next month so we may all be spared from further underwhelming games at Blundell Park for a bit. Thank God for Carl Magnay.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
gytone
February 28, 2015, 5:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 7
Awful game not helped by terrible gamesmanship and spoiling tactics by Braintree and the worst referee ive ever seen. Disley man of the match for me closing followed by Magnay and Pearson, cant think of anyone else who had a decent game, although I thought Scott Brown made a difference when he came on, he got amongst them and roughed them up a bit. We are winning but Christ its boring, still think we will make the play-offs, but don't really fancy our chances in them to be honest.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 5:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
First half was a total non-event apart from the comedy goal mouth scramble when they had about 3 chances to score and failed with all of them. Apart from that, not one shot, cross or pass of any note from anyone.

Second half started great with our two best players creating and scoring the only goal of the game. We were then mostly outplayed for the next 40 mins without them looking like they could get an equaliser. Don't think either keeper had a shot to save in 95 mins and it was even worse then Tues night if that's possible. LJL was rubbish again and Pittman looked done in by the hour mark, so what does Hurst do? Brings on flipping Parslow at home against a very limited Braintree. Well done Paul, that's what i pay my entrance fee for.

Defence look solid. Midfield limited and the strikers just don't look dangerous at any time. They won everything at the back from the many many balls we punted on to their heads and their No 20 looked very good for them.

All in all, another dire home game, devoid of any skill or guile, apart from one decent cross and a great finish from Dis, who was my MOM. We got behind them once and scored.

3 points is about the only good thing to come out of that dismal game.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
Mrs Doyle
February 28, 2015, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
No Ollie yet then??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
LH
February 28, 2015, 5:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Very economical today. Great goal. Ref was an absolute idiot. Magnay MOM again.

My favourite bit was when John-Lewis went off the bloke behind who had been asking Hurst to take him off all game then said it was an awful decision when he heard Parslow was replacing him.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
February 28, 2015, 5:43pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,689
Gold Stars: 72
yeh think the team did fairly well in the second half, thought both the front two were a bit static at times, would've thought Palmer would be have suited the game better to come on than jolley, when they didn't give us much space to run around in and our only goal came from one of our few headers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
TAGG
February 28, 2015, 5:46pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
What a excrement game of football.
Boring boring boring.
Just been yaping to two guys who have been for the first time in 5 years needless to say it will be another 5 years before they think of coming again.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
Belfast Town
February 28, 2015, 5:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 18
Apart from the goal mouth scramble they had after five minutes, they never really caused any problems but were difficult to break down. Workman like performance from Town, but good enough.

Shame the top two won. Just feels like we're running out of games for them to stumble badly enough for us to win the league.

That's 7 wins out of 7 matches for me this season. Tempted to stay and get a season ticket but have to be back in Belfast tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
Garth
February 28, 2015, 5:49pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Poor game, defence played well considering that they were overworked due to poor midfield and forward play, still three points is three points and at this stage thats all that matters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
barralad
February 28, 2015, 5:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
A pretty poor game made more interesting by the group sitting to the right of us in the Pontoon who waved "Je Suis Lenny" posters before and during the game.

Missed the goal whilst chivalrously getting my Mrs. a bag of crisps from the  shop so didn't even get the warm fuzzy feeling for Disley's latest very important strike.

A word on Jolley-when he hugs the touchline and Robertson has the ball and is coming down the line he doesn't appear to have a clue what to do.

We appear (still) to lack anyone willing to gamble on a ball coming across the box as shown by no-one being anywhere near the ball Lenny screwed across after we'd scored.

Braintree defended well with perhaps more gamesmanship than usual.

We lacked basic attacking guile...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
gtfc82
February 28, 2015, 5:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from mariner tommy
First half was absolutely awful.
Slight improvement in the second half.
But, what the hell, three points is what matters now.
The referee was the worst of the season.

UTM

I said exactly the same thing when I got home! Also, 7 yellow cards and a red, yet was it a dirty game? An 'everyone look at me, I'm in charge' performance from a hopeless ref!!!

Oh well, 3 points is all that counts!! 😃
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 5:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I can understand Hurst leaving Palmer on the bench and giving him a bit more recovery time but to bring on Parslow at home against Braintree when you are 1-0 up is typical for me of why the fans just never get behind Hurst. The front 2 were shocking and the ball just kept coming back time and again. Palmer would have put them under more pressure with his non stop style but maybe it wasn't worth the risk of further injury and we didn't need a goal, just someone to put his foot on the ball and calm it down. We lost most first balls and were usually second to the second balls. Fortunately, Braintree were very limited and couldn't take advantage. Think the lad was unlucky to be sent off, he just wanted it more.

Ref was as bad as i have seen and i've seen some dross down here.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 47
oldun
February 28, 2015, 5:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Always going to be a difficult game. Both defences well on top. One moment if quality and we score a fabulous goal. 3 points thank you. Not great viewing but it is all about points now. Agree number 20 for Braintree looks to be an excellent defender.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
gtfc82
February 28, 2015, 5:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Quoted from barralad

A word on Jolley-when he hugs the touchline and Robertson has the ball and is coming down the line he doesn't appear to have a clue what to do.

So he has no idea what to do when he's either up front or on the wing? Pretty useless all round then!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
zorro_is_a_Mariner
February 28, 2015, 6:00pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Braintree have won five lost 12 away from home, no draws and conceeded nearly the same amount they have scored so it was always going to be a tight game. Thankfully dis popped up with another header. Another 3 points that's the main thing for me.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
the driver
February 28, 2015, 6:02pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
Slightly lucky to win Iam  convinced the ball was over the line for them in first half as were a few fans close to were I sit in the lower Findus have to agree about the ref why he booked Dis God only knows again a win is a win on we go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 47
barralad
February 28, 2015, 6:04pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Quoted from gtfc82

So he has no idea what to do when he's either up front or on the wing? Pretty useless all round then!!  

I realise others have said he is clueless up front but that isn't my opinion...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 47
RichMariner
February 28, 2015, 6:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Weird one to sum up. We can't complain too much because we won, and that's now three on the bounce.

Think it's unfair to be too critical of Hurst tonight as he's delivering. It might not be with the style and arrogance that we want, but we can't have everything.

However I think we all feel and sense the same thing. We're not playing well, we're not attacking well and that's a bit of a worry because the way we played on Tuesday night and this afternoon isn't sustainable.

It's great that we've been winning, but we really need to improve our tactics in the final third. LJL's goals have run dry and we're relying on the likes of Disley, Arnold and Mackreth to chip in - as they should anyway, not just when your striker(s) go off the boil.

Anyway, well done to the players for grinding out three points despite stubborn opposition and a really dodgy ref. Job done. Let's prepare for Woking now.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Online
Site Private Message
Reply: 21 - 47
poomehellt
February 28, 2015, 6:05pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -3
Approval: +44
How dare you call a young 24 year old prem linesman as the worst ref ever, he'll still be around in 30 years time doing his finest. He's reffed us before and you moaning gits never slagged him off then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 47
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 28, 2015, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Hey, we won

Though must admit I fell asleep listening to Waldorf and statler on the wireless

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 47
ackomariner
February 28, 2015, 6:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from the driver
Slightly lucky to win Iam  convinced the ball was over the line for them in first half as were a few fans close to were I sit in the lower Findus have to agree about the ref why he booked Dis God only knows again a win is a win on we go

I was about ten feet away and the ball was on the line, not over it

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 47
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 6:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from poomehellt
How dare you call a young 24 year old prem linesman as the worst ref ever, he'll still be around in 30 years time doing his finest. He's reffed us before and you moaning gits never slagged him off then.

What he did before has no bearing on what he did today, which was mainly rubbish. Wasn't a dirty game really, yet the cards just kept coming and he made some glaring errors.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 47
cmackenzie4
February 28, 2015, 6:20pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Hey, we won

Though must admit I fell asleep listening to Waldorf and statler on the wireless

"No No I won't have that there's a place in Eastbourne" anybody remember that classic from Waldorf salad?

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 47
Maringer
February 28, 2015, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Dreadful game, that. Pretty much all of our attacking players were hopeless today so it's not too surprising that we didn't manage to achieve anything up front. I also thought that Braintree had some pretty good defenders. Their No. 20 was excellent at the back, the No. 2 looked an excellent strong full-back and the big No. 6 had quite a bit of nouse, winning most of his headers with the assistance of clever nudges and pushes. A bit worrying that the forward to cause most trouble to defences today was their Number 9 who was better than any of our lot though he never looked like scoring either.

Disley was excellent today and scored another fantastic goal for us. The defence generally did well though there were a number of Toto moments, not least the ridiculous Keystone Kops scramble when they should have scored early on.

All in all, can't complain too much about a third win on the bounce, however it came.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 47
Garth
February 28, 2015, 7:04pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from gtfc82

Must admit I prefer Arnold
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 47
Mighty_Mariner
February 28, 2015, 7:05pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from ginnywings
I can understand Hurst leaving Palmer on the bench and giving him a bit more recovery time but to bring on Parslow at home against Braintree when you are 1-0 up is typical for me of why the fans just never get behind Hurst. The front 2 were shocking and the ball just kept coming back time and again. Palmer would have put them under more pressure with his non stop style but maybe it wasn't worth the risk of further injury and we didn't need a goal, just someone to put his foot on the ball and calm it down. We lost most first balls and were usually second to the second balls. Fortunately, Braintree were very limited and couldn't take advantage. Think the lad was unlucky to be sent off, he just wanted it more.

Ref was as bad as i have seen and i've seen some dross down here.

Paul addressed that issue perfectly for me in his post match presser when he said the 3 points were the most important thing and sometimes you have to protect what you have. Premier league team do it week in week out.

What would your reaction be if he brought on Palmer for Lenny and we ended up drawing 1-1? Would you commend him for his substitution? I think not!

Totally the right decision for me - but each to their own.

UTM!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 47
BIGChris
February 28, 2015, 7:37pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Maringer
Dreadful game, that. Pretty much all of our attacking players were hopeless today so it's not too surprising that we didn't manage to achieve anything up front. I also thought that Braintree had some pretty good defenders. Their No. 20 was excellent at the back, the No. 2 looked an excellent strong full-back and the big No. 6 had quite a bit of nouse, winning most of his headers with the assistance of clever nudges and pushes. A bit worrying that the forward to cause most trouble to defences today was their Number 9 who was better than any of our lot though he never looked like scoring either.

Disley was excellent today and scored another fantastic goal for us. The defence generally did well though there were a number of Toto moments, not least the ridiculous Keystone Kops scramble when they should have scored early on.

All in all, can't complain too much about a third win on the bounce, however it came.

I normally agree with your posts but we have just been discussing their number 20 who we thought was a total liability throughout. He must have stood on the ball at least 4 or 5 occasions and his distribution was, at best, Sunday League standard!

Someone said they thought their lad was unlucky to get a 2nd yellow. I thought he could have got a straight red! Went over the top of the ball with all studs showing.

The game was shockingly bad, JPP had far and away the worst game I have ever seen him produce ( how he stayed on the pitch when we made 3 subs is beyond me) BUT we won and have NINE points in a week. Cannot of complain about that points haul.

Two away games now, win both and we will increase the pressure on the two above
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
arryarryarry
February 28, 2015, 7:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Dreadful game with some shockingly bad performances from both wide men especially Mackreth again and LJL and Pittman although he didn't look fit, Clay was basically useless as well, just thankful for the two bits of class in the whole game with Magnay's cross and Disley's goal.

Not sure how some think we did well defensively when they should have scored in the first couple of minutes with some comic defending and they should have done better late on when we looked like cacking ourselves everytime the ball came into our box, especially when their number 9 had a free header and should have done better with it.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
moosey_club
February 28, 2015, 8:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,143
Gold Stars: 220
Shocking game of "football"....neither team looked anything like competent, first half i dont think either side managed to string 4 passes together, LJL again looked frustrated with himself, going down too easily and looking at the ref rather than his trademark tireless effort..however in his defence there was nothing like any service to him or Pitman.
Defence looked very shaky at the start but settled down and thank the ginger gods for Dis, great running and a superb ball in from Magnay...aside from that and the goal mouth scramble at the start a total non event.

Shoot me down ...but honestly...even if we went up i would be happy for Hurst to either get "snapped" up by another club or not have his contract renewed...no get up and go, no positive energy or buzz eminating from his mouth, from his team selection or game management.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 28, 2015, 8:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
We won!!!!!

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
Codswede
February 28, 2015, 9:24pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Quoted from oldun
Always going to be a difficult game. Both defences well on top. One moment if quality and we score a fabulous goal. 3 points thank you. Not great viewing but it is all about points now. Agree number 20 for Braintree looks to be an excellent defender.

3 Cheers for Ramirez

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
February 28, 2015, 9:31pm
Guest User
I thought their skipper led by example, always talking and their lads were listening. Distribution not the best but he worked his bottom off, closed down and never stopped running.
Reply: 35 - 47
Maringer
February 28, 2015, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

I normally agree with your posts but we have just been discussing their number 20 who we thought was a total liability throughout. He must have stood on the ball at least 4 or 5 occasions and his distribution was, at best, Sunday League standard!

Really? I thought he did very well and didn't give LJL a look in today - though it wasn't too difficult with the way our forwards played! I agree that Pittman was pretty hopeless and Jolley didn't really do any better than the other two when he came on, either. Can't complain about a victory after such a poor performance!

One thing I took from today is how much we miss a defender with a good, long throw. Good as an attacking option (when necessary) but more importantly, we struggled to get it clear quite a few times when we had throw-ins deep in our half. Helps a lot when you've got somebody who can hurl the ball 30 yards up the line!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
psgmariner
February 28, 2015, 9:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
Braintree seemes to have as many chances as us and they were terrible. The ref was terrible but at least he was consistently crap for both sides. Disley's booking was a joke as was their chap who got the second yellow.

Cold, sterile and boring but at least our playoff spot is getting nearer to being secured.

Ps well done to the Lads in the corner of the pontoon but as discussed before most of your noise drifted out to sea...

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
Tinymariner
February 28, 2015, 9:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I thought Braintree came to BP today for a draw and parked the bus. They were well organised and stuck to their job for 89 minutes of the game, fortunately for us we have some quality in our side which got us a goal. We only needed that one moment of magic which we wouldn't have got last season and would have probably lost or drawn that game.
Well done Town, a hard fought win against difficult opposition. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 10:39pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Paul addressed that issue perfectly for me in his post match presser when he said the 3 points were the most important thing and sometimes you have to protect what you have. Premier league team do it week in week out.

What would your reaction be if he brought on Palmer for Lenny and we ended up drawing 1-1? Would you commend him for his substitution? I think not!

Totally the right decision for me - but each to their own.

UTM!

But that is hypothetical and i wasn't really advocating for Palmer to be brought on. I acknowledged that it was probably right to give him a bit more time and as we were not searching for a goal, there was no point risking him. A more attacking approach and substitution may have killed them off but as i say, we will never know

What did rile me was why we had to bring on Parslow in the first place. Despite being one of the top sides at home against a mediocre Braintree, we go one up, then spend the rest of the half being mainly pinned back even when they had 10 men, necessitating us bringing on a defensive midfielder, when we should be pushing them back. Sometimes i wonder why these teams come and park the bus, because when forced to come out of their shell, we retreat and get very nervy.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
mrsd
March 1, 2015, 12:19am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
Highlights from the game Shaun's surging run and the Magnay/Disley combination for the goal, other than that it was pretty poor. 3 points though so I am not complaining....well only about that clown with the whistle!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 12:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Regarding the referee (John Brooks). I was surprised to see he's more commonly a linesman and has officiated in the Premier League - it was him who told Lescott to thank the fans who had paid £62 and got suspended. He's just qualified to be a lino in the Champions League - but made the step-up to being a ref in the Conference this season. Seems odd how he can be a lino at the top of the club game but be a ref down here, and a poor one at that.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
moosey_club
March 1, 2015, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,143
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Jaws
Regarding the referee (John Brooks). I was surprised to see he's more commonly a linesman and has officiated in the Premier League - it was him who told Lescott to thank the fans who had paid £62 and got suspended. He's just qualified to be a lino in the Champions League - but made the step-up to being a ref in the Conference this season. Seems odd how he can be a lino at the top of the club game but be a ref down here, and a poor one at that.

I thought the ref as poor but inconsistently poor, not sure if he has a disability of some sort but it appeared to me that he could only point one way and most of the free kicks he gave were for the team attacking the pontoon, first half they got the majority second half we did.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
bradzmilne
March 1, 2015, 9:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,359
Gold Stars: 29
First half was crying out for one of our CMs to grab the game by the scruff of its neck. Absolutely crying out for one, for the positives of Disley and Clay neither are players that will almost pull the whole team forward. For that reason, for me Brown has to come back into the team for the Woking game.
It was quite odd, in the sense that Braintree never really had a go at us especially considering we scored relatively early in the second half you'd expect that the game would open up but Braintree never really had a go at us. Totally not the case, which if i was a Braintree fan i'd be absolutely fuming about because I thought we looked really up for the taking yesterday.
One bit of class from Magnay and Disley won us the game today, doesn't matter if you win 1-0 or 10-0. 3 Points on the board and potentially 3 points closer to getting out of this league.
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 47
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2015, 9:41am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from bradzmilne

It was quite odd, in the sense that Braintree never really had a go at us especially considering we scored relatively early in the second half you'd expect that the game would open up but Braintree never really had a go at us. Totally not the case, which if i was a Braintree fan i'd be absolutely fuming about

I had to rely on commentary but this was very much the sense I got, similarly with the Telford game. It sounded like a pretty poor Town display but I think the opponents lack of interest in having a go themselves must surely play a part in that. Any team can make it tough if their only aim is to not concede, even when 1-0 down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 47
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 10:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from bradzmilne
First half was crying out for one of our CMs to grab the game by the scruff of its neck. Absolutely crying out for one, for the positives of Disley and Clay neither are players that will almost pull the whole team forward. For that reason, for me Brown has to come back into the team for the Woking game.

UTM

The issue was they had 3 central midfielders up against Disley & Clay. We often struggle when a team plays 4-5-1 against our 4-4-2. Movement and width especially from our full backs can nullify it but our full backs are not really attacking ones who get up and stretch the game.

Some say we shouldn't worry about what the opposition do and just play our own game, I agree we shouldn't worry & we need to adapt but in the modern game attacking full backs are key. We have two of the strongest defenders but we do lack when teams set up 4-5-1.

For most of the game we had 4 defenders against their one striker, therefore were outnumbered in midfield
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 10:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
We were truly dismal yesterday and just sneaked the win but played some pretty good stuff at times against Telford (mostly in the first half) without tearing up any trees and should have won much more comfortably. If the radio commentary indicated we were poor throughout the game on Tuesday, then you've been given the wrong impression.

Braintree were a much, much better team than Telford. Which wouldn't be hard, admittedly.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
rancido
March 1, 2015, 11:33am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
For what it's worth, considering we had 3 of the forward line ( Pitman , Arnold and Makreth ) very much underperforming , then it was a decent result. Pitman should have been replaced after 60 mins but PH decided to stick with him which is typical of his cautious approach. I don't disagree with his decision to bring on Parslow to shore up the mid-field in the closing stages but if you are going to lay a lone striker to hold up the ball then I would rather it was LJL than Pitman. Pitman was static for most of the game and although LJL didn't play at his best he was well controlled by their centre-backs. At least it's another 3 points and that is the priority at this stage of the season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.