BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 5:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from ginnywings

They did have a go after we scored. In fact they pretty much hogged the ball the whole of the second half. They just weren't good enough to do anything with their possession and we weren't good enough to exploit the extra space we had. They looked under no more pressure with 10 men than they did with 11.

To be honest both sides were very poor in an attacking sense and it was a very dull match indeed.

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers and told that if we want entertainment, we need to do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Well plenty of people are doing something else on a Saturday afternoon as a result of the dire offerings at BP, which to my mind is a problem for the club.

Does it not bother anyone that we are third in the league, yet are only getting around the 3300 mark and the place is like a morgue? Does skill, flair and excitement have no place in the game anymore? Have we really been that bad for that long that people are willing to accept any old shite on the pitch as long as we pick up three points? How would people be feeling if like many times this season we hadn't managed to nick a goal and drew both games 0-0. Would those performances be acceptable then?

The big question for me now is, what if we do what we have done the last 2 seasons and fizzle out in the play offs because we can't create chances and score goals? Is it then OK to criticise another season of mostly dire fare at BP and the prospect of having to go through it all again come next August?

Finally, i am thrilled that we won the last three games but it doesn't mean that the set up is beyond criticism. There is always room for improvement. Standing still is going backwards and for me, Hurst has had us standing still for his entire reign.

Not sure i went to the same game as you Ginny?
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 5:15pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from chicaneuk
It's a tough one. Whilst I'm really happy we ground out another 3 points, my concern and I think the concern of most town fans is that with these narrow victories, all it's going to take is for some decent teams to really take us to pieces. And assuming we do make it into the playoffs, I worry that the other teams are going to want it more.

I can only hope when it comes to that, Hurst manages to pull some magical motivator out of the bag and really gets the lads fired up to cruise through into promotion.

Who do you think are the teams that will' take us to pieces'?

Bristol Rovers were the better team a couple of weeks ago and we are hardly likely to face them again? The others in the mix are Macc (won one lost one) FGR (won one lost one) and Barnet who we have beaten twice.

We could beat anyone or be beaten but i cant think of anyone who has is likely to take us to pieces
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 5:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from BIGChris

Who do you think are the teams that will' take us to pieces'?

Bristol Rovers were the better team a couple of weeks ago and we are hardly likely to face them again? The others in the mix are Macc (won one lost one) FGR (won one lost one) and Barnet who we have beaten twice.

We could beat anyone or be beaten but i cant think of anyone who has is likely to take us to pieces

But that's the frustration Chris. We look good enough, on our day, to take anyone to pieces. We just don't do it often enough.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 158
BIGChris
March 1, 2015, 5:22pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But that's the frustration Chris. We look good enough, on our day, to take anyone to pieces. We just don't do it often enough.

Dont deny tha,t but that wasnt the point made. It was that WE will get taken to pieces. Cant see it myself and wondered who the poster thought would do that to us.
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 158
Jaws
March 1, 2015, 5:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I hope I'm right - but it could be seen that this team are ones who will step up to a big occassion (Barnet, twice) and really play well in the play-offs.

I know we say every games a cup final, but there isn't a stand-out fixture between now and the end of the season for the players to stand up and be counted? (assuming we stay comfortably in the playoffs) It'd be nice to think we've finally shuck off this mantra of being 'bottlers' and really go for it in the playoffs.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 158
FishOutOfWater
March 1, 2015, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Jaws

I think people's concerns are that all these poor performances are perceived by those people as lucky wins. You certainly don't want these performances in the play-offs. You want three nils, full of confidence, something one nil will never give you. It's more worry if anything I

I said on the way out that if we get to the play-offs and to the final I'd be a nervous wreck wanting us to get over the line

The way we did get promoted in the play-offs in 98 was certainly sailing close to the wind with 1-1 away, 1-0 at home and 1-0 at Wembley though I would take that same sequence again this May without any hesitation whatsoever

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 105 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 6:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from BIGChris

Not sure i went to the same game as you Ginny?

That's the way i saw it. You obviously didn't.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 158
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2015, 6:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from ginnywings

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers

I'll grant you that criticism is still allowed after a win if you don't enjoy it. I think for most people winning is the overwhelming factor as to whether they enjoy the game or not so that's why there is bemusement at those still unhappy after 3 straight wins with just 1 goal conceded.

My own gripe would be aimed at the anti-Hurst posters who keep moving the goalposts. Earlier in the season there were complaints that we couldn't break down the lesser teams who park the bus as BP and Hurst didn't know what to do. We seem to have turned that around but now the problem is that we aren't putting 3 or 4 past them so Hurst is still clueless. There are some who are already complaining about what performances and results would be like in League 2 under Hurst!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 158
tashee69
March 1, 2015, 6:31pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
My thought of why the forwards are failing to score at home is that I'm fed up of seeing this hot potato football being played by either the midfield or defence that seem to lob the ball forward rather than controlling it and making a forward pass. We seem to bring it down to play it back or across the field but struggle when we go forward.

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 1, 2015, 6:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I'll grant you that criticism is still allowed after a win if you don't enjoy it. I think for most people winning is the overwhelming factor as to whether they enjoy the game or not so that's why there is bemusement at those still unhappy after 3 straight wins with just 1 goal conceded.

My own gripe would be aimed at the anti-Hurst posters who keep moving the goalposts. Earlier in the season there were complaints that we couldn't break down the lesser teams who park the bus as BP and Hurst didn't know what to do. We seem to have turned that around but now the problem is that we aren't putting 3 or 4 past them so Hurst is still clueless. There are some who are already complaining about what performances and results would be like in League 2 under Hurst!

Well here's one that isn't about being entertained. The problem is this - what would have happened if the ref had given a goal (wrongly) when the ball was on our goal line early on in the game yesterday? Do we believe that we would still have got the three points? Or if the substitution with Parslow had been immediately followed by their equaliser, would we still have been able to get the three points?

Of course that is all "what if" but when the margins are as tight as the manager appears happy with, according to his interview anyway, that is what can happen. It seems quite a few people fear it will happen if we don't kill teams off better.

It's not so much a case of winning 4-0 every week for the entertainment, (though that would be fun ) as getting more comfort zones in more games and being more aggressively after the win so the bad luck and unfortunate errors that are bound to occur sooner or later don't turn into disasters.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.