16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner Timsky
February 28, 2015, 10:04pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
This thread should be deleted! Withdraw from the Play Offs!?!? What the heck is wrong with people?!!? We have 9 points this week, , scored 5 and conceded a wonder goal, , yes the home games haven't been enthralling affairs but we are WINNING and have 10 more games to go and not many of them are going to be all that entertaining but let's just get out of this league and be entertained in Lg2

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 158
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 10:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I was watching Makreth today from the Upper as he was right in front of me for the first half. What  i noticed was that he always had half an eye on his defensive duties. Never really committed himself to go forward unless we were high up the pitch and never gambled to get behind the full back. He was never at any stage goalside of the full back. A couple of times when the play was on the other wing, he never even ventured forward at all, despite the fact that the ball may have found it's way over to his side of the goal and give him a chance to score or deliver the ball back into the mix. That must come from instruction. It's like he was playing with shackles on.

RRFC is right. It's not about entertainment as such, it's about goalscoring and whatever way we play, we just don't do enough of it. Very rarely do we get ourselves into a comfortable position where we can give fringe players a run out and rest key players. Most substitutions are trying to make things happen that should have happened earlier in the game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 158
chaos33
February 28, 2015, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
That last point is a very good one mate.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 158
ginnywings
February 28, 2015, 10:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from chaos33
That last point is a very good one mate.

Doubt many will see it as such. I'll probably be labelled a doom-monger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 158
Theimperialcoroner
February 28, 2015, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -3
Approval: +5,088
Gold Stars: 93

True enough. But if you take away those two whopping wins in early season the comparison isn't quite so good is it?

That's right, if you do that, we have very similar goals scored. Especially if you remove their two highest scoring games too.

Personally I thng PH has too much of a pragmatic approach to the game, relying on percentage football much in the same way as Slade did. As a purist, I can't abide it, but it didn't stop me going mental when Kalala scored, nor will it stop me aching for us to get promotion playing that way. I'd just prefer there to be another way of doing it. However I'm not the manager so it doesn't matter one bit what I think, or, as a fan of 40+ years, does it???

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 158
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2015, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

That's right, if you do that, we have very similar goals scored. Especially if you remove their two highest scoring games too.

Personally I thng PH has too much of a pragmatic approach to the game, relying on percentage football much in the same way as Slade did. As a purist, I can't abide it, but it didn't stop me going mental when Kalala scored, nor will it stop me aching for us to get promotion playing that way. I'd just prefer there to be another way of doing it. However I'm not the manager so it doesn't matter one bit what I think, or, as a fan of 40+ years, does it???

But it does, because you pay their wages when you walk through the turnstile. Yes, promotion is achievable, but I think we can all see that some players attacking instincts are being stifled, indeed, it's one reason one player left.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 158
barralad
February 28, 2015, 11:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from MuddyWaters

But it does, because you pay their wages when you walk through the turnstile. Yes, promotion is achievable, but I think we can all see that some players attacking instincts are being stifled, indeed, it's one reason one player left.

I'd leve to see the evidence for that last comment.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 158
Vance Warner
February 28, 2015, 11:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +18 / -5
Approval: +2,772
Gold Stars: 99
But there's got to be a balance. You look at any winger in any league playing 442 and they have to do their defensive duties. If you really want to analyse how many players we commit forward you could look at how often the central midfielders get beyond the strikers. I'd like to see us do this more but the winning goals today and against Barnet have come from Disley doing this so it's obviously something we're working on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 158
Biccys
February 28, 2015, 11:30pm
Posts Per Day: 2.05
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ginnywings

Not for me. I understand some are happy with "the end justifies the Means" approach but i'd like to see a bit of skill and flair now and again.

What i am seeing regularly at BP is not the game i fell in love with and got me so enthused that i couldn't wait for the next home game.

All about opinions i know but there are lots of stayaways that i know who have voted with their feet.

The end justifying the means is all very honourable, but IF we go up by this means, what about the next season...? If it's as turgid as this season, we may as well be down here where the away fans are nice, the beer better and there are some actually nice places to go..

intercourse the fact that the prize money is massively better in L2, I for one don't really care for the financial stats. All I want to see is GTFC entertaining me with good football, goals and cup runs and a feeling of superiority on our close neighbours.

Do I get a feeling of superiority from a healthy balance sheet? No.

Do I get a feeling of superiority from us beating teams by lots of goals and exciting football. Yes.

Does it matter what division I see that in? A bit, maybe. But we're historically a L1. L2 Yoyo club anyway. Yeah, I'd be happy to get there again but realistically it's a while away judging from this last few months performances.

Dunno what that all means.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 38 - 158
jonnyboy82
February 28, 2015, 11:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,683
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from 1739
Hurst out, promotion isn't good enough for Grimsby Town fans. Our history and size of the club automatically means that we should be demolishing every team in this league and we shouldn't need to earn the right to play league football.

The thing is promotion is more than good enough for Grimsby town fans.

Have we been promoted ?

answer is NO.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.