16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
March 1, 2015, 12:24pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,456
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I've no problem with constructive criticism but just mercilessly slagging off one of our players, who I think gives his all and has contributed a lot this season really irritates me.

Although Scott Neilson was exempt from criticism despite being a bit porky and training twice in a month because occasionally he was brilliant in games. Logical.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 158
Rodley Mariner
March 1, 2015, 12:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Quoted from LH

Although Scott Neilson was exempt from criticism despite being a bit porky and training twice in a month because occasionally he was brilliant in games. Logical.

Before being hounded out of the club because of the managers negativity....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 12:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ginnywings

They did have a go after we scored. In fact they pretty much hogged the ball the whole of the second half. They just weren't good enough to do anything with their possession and we weren't good enough to exploit the extra space we had. They looked under no more pressure with 10 men than they did with 11.

To be honest both sides were very poor in an attacking sense and it was a very dull match indeed.

On a wider note, there seems to be this notion that no criticism is allowed because the team have won three games in nine days and that winning is all that matters. Some people on here subscribe to that view and that's fine, it's all about opinions. Some others, myself included, subscribe to the view that football isn't just about winning, yet we get called doom-mongers and told that if we want entertainment, we need to do something else on a Saturday afternoon. Well plenty of people are doing something else on a Saturday afternoon as a result of the dire offerings at BP, which to my mind is a problem for the club.

Does it not bother anyone that we are third in the league, yet are only getting around the 3300 mark and the place is like a morgue? Does skill, flair and excitement have no place in the game anymore? Have we really been that bad for that long that people are willing to accept any old shite on the pitch as long as we pick up three points? How would people be feeling if like many times this season we hadn't managed to nick a goal and drew both games 0-0. Would those performances be acceptable then?

The big question for me now is, what if we do what we have done the last 2 seasons and fizzle out in the play offs because we can't create chances and score goals? Is it then OK to criticise another season of mostly dire fare at BP and the prospect of having to go through it all again come next August?

Finally, i am thrilled that we won the last three games but it doesn't mean that the set up is beyond criticism. There is always room for improvement. Standing still is going backwards and for me, Hurst has had us standing still for his entire reign.

WHS with bells and whistles! I wish I had the typing skills to post such a long reply without falling asleep!
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 158
DocTower
March 1, 2015, 12:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I've no problem with constructive criticism but just mercilessly slagging off one of our players, who I think gives his all and has contributed a lot this season really irritates me.

Agree , constructive criticism , but the fact that we haven't  seen any improvement implies  to me that he has reached his competency level . Unfortunately we  know nothing is going to change , what anyone says , but more are saying the same thing .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 12:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
And that's the Conference in a nutshell. LJL will run 'til he drops but try as he might, he has never and will never have a clever football brain. Neilson has all the skills required but can't be arsed. The two archetypal non-league players.

Which type do you go with? Getting the balance right is the hard part.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 158
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 1, 2015, 12:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It's fear. Nothing complicated like entertainment or not being satisfied with 9 points this week or anything stupid like that. It's fear pure and simple.

It's the worry that having clawed our way so far this season by our fingernails we could lose everything through one bad refereeing decision in one game, one piece of bad luck in another and one defensive lapse in another. The margins are so tight and we are incredibly reliant on the form of the back five.

It's the concern that if any team like Braintree that sets up to park the bus, gets a goal, then we won't score two. We have runners up front but don't have a Hearn to conjure something from nothing and we don't appear to want to compensate for that with more aggressive tactics against limited opposition.

With continued luck this approach might even take us into the play offs but then we have to go out with the intention of actually winning games rather than just not losing them. It could be a big ask for a team to change its outlook like that.

Now, some may think this is unduly pessimistic but the beauty of being a pessimist is that you are rarely disappointed and the surprise when things go well is all the more pleasurable.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 158
Maringer
March 1, 2015, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We'll agree to differ. His goal tally up to Christmas was excellent but one penalty since 19th December isn't. All I'm saying is that we have several other attacking options available to us, so why is he bomb-proof?

Unfortunately, the other attacking options aren't any better.

I personally find it amusing how Hannah is apparently becoming a better player, the less he is played. I've not seen him have a good game yet this season (though I've only seen home games thus far) but it seems to be assumed he'll fire us to victory if only he is played? Regardless, he's not a replacement for LJL as he needs somebody to play off and we don't have the players capable of putting clever balls through for him to run on to. I just don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.

Pittman could perhaps play the target man role at a push but isn't fully recovered from his most recent injury and, in any case, played even worse than LJL yesterday. Palmer hasn't been fit to play, Jolley has been in indifferent form since his arrival.

How exactly do we have several other attacking options available to us with this in mind?

Oh, I forgot that we did have Watson available until his loan though he is yet unproven in English football. The fact that Hurst hasn't been willing to give him a start (or much game time at all) makes me think he's not ready just yet. I'd be inclined to trust his judgement on the matter as he sees him in training every day whereas we've seen about 30 minutes of play from brief sub appearances spread over a few months. It will be interesting to see how his loan spell at Gainsborough goes. If he knocks a few in there, perhaps he will return and get a chance or perhaps the loan will be extended? It seems to me that we are viewing him as a longer-term prospect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 158
MuddyWaters
March 1, 2015, 12:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer

Unfortunately, the other attacking options aren't any better.

I personally find it amusing how Hannah is apparently becoming a better player, the less he is played. I've not seen him have a good game yet this season (though I've only seen home games thus far) but it seems to be assumed he'll fire us to victory if only he is played? Regardless, he's not a replacement for LJL as he needs somebody to play off and we don't have the players capable of putting clever balls through for him to run on to. I just don't think he's good enough, unfortunately.

Pittman could perhaps play the target man role at a push but isn't fully recovered from his most recent injury and, in any case, played even worse than LJL yesterday. Palmer hasn't been fit to play, Jolley has been in indifferent form since his arrival.

How exactly do we have several other attacking options available to us with this in mind?

Oh, I forgot that we did have Watson available until his loan though he is yet unproven in English football. The fact that Hurst hasn't been willing to give him a start (or much game time at all) makes me think he's not ready just yet. I'd be inclined to trust his judgement on the matter as he sees him in training every day whereas we've seen about 30 minutes of play from brief sub appearances spread over a few months. It will be interesting to see how his loan spell at Gainsborough goes. If he knocks a few in there, perhaps he will return and get a chance or perhaps the loan will be extended? It seems to me that we are viewing him as a longer-term prospect.

Was I talking about just yesterday? No. Since the New Year, we've had the options of LJL, Palmer, Jolley, Pittman, Hamish, Arnold, Neilson, Mackreth and Hannah (all of whom could play as part of a front 3) yet one name has been constant irrespective of the fact he's scored one penalty.
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 158
ginnywings
March 1, 2015, 12:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Love him or loathe him, LJL is pivotal to the way we play and the players we have. He's never going to be prolific, so he has to bring other things to the party, which he is capable of. Problems arise when he stops doing that as well as not scoring, which has been the case recently. He isn't winning headers, holding the ball up or linking play as well as he has done in the earlier part of the season. He looks jaded but we don't have a natural replacement. We would have to change tack if we dropped him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 158
petethemariner
March 1, 2015, 1:20pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Of course we are all pleased to get 3 points in each game, but the fact remains that fans DO have a right to
expect to be entertained - watching football at BP is not cheap considering the league we are in and most home
performances have been uninspiring , dull and flairless,hence 6 home defeats already for  a club pushing for
promotion, the fact is obvious that the way PH sets his teams out is ideal for away performances, which is why we
have such a good away record, but his lack of adaptability for home games has already cost us dear and is the reason we will not win the league, or sadly IMO go up via he playoffs.
I am as desperate as everyone else to see us back in the FL again, but when i think that it will condemn us to more
turgid home performances under PH if we did go up, i no longer know what to want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 158
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Unbelievable

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.