4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
March 3, 2015, 1:44pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Many have posted about crowds being low and sat in near silence at BP but todays article on Cod Almighty is at least thought provoking.

http://www.codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=5324

Private Message
psgmariner
March 3, 2015, 1:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
That is a really interesting comparison. Genuinely shocked by it.

Were there any mitigating circumstances for such a shocking gate that night?

Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
grimps
March 3, 2015, 2:32pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,103
Gold Stars: 46
I cant rememebr us dipping that low but one thing I will say is that the Championship is a different league now.
I suspect if you checked everyones attendances from back in the early 90s they was all low around that time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
diehardmariner
March 3, 2015, 2:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,511
Gold Stars: 536
This is quite interesting, especially when you look at the average gates for seasons when we had great teams and success.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/grit.htm
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
BIGChris
March 3, 2015, 2:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
In 1994-95 the average attendance in the 2nd tier was just under 11000 when more recent seasons see around 16/17k.

Clubs in the 2nd tier at that time included Town, Port Vale, Burnley, Charlton Southend, Swindon & Tranmere, non of which could really be described as big and contributed to the lower average attendances
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
rancido
March 3, 2015, 2:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,560
Gold Stars: 96
It doesn't surprise me at all. When you look at our average gates from the last spell at Championship level then they were hardly enormous. 2000/2001 there was an average of 5646 and that will include away supporters as well. I think some of our fans look upon our past gates with rose-tinted specs and don't realise the realities.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
Les Brechin
March 3, 2015, 3:51pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from psgmariner
That is a really interesting comparison. Genuinely shocked by it.

Were there any mitigating circumstances for such a shocking gate that night?

Not as far as I can see. There was no England game that night and although it was a UEFA Cup night, the only English teams playing were Blackburn and Newcastle and I don't know if either was live on TV that night.

This is a full list of games played that night.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/results/1994-09-13

Fulham beaten at home by Scarborough in the bottom tier is one result that sticks out that evening, with Lincoln beating Wigan that night too.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
nightrider
March 3, 2015, 4:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Youre right Rancido
I remember going to gamesin that period when we were getting less than 4k. Port Vale always seemed to be one of the worst attended games of the season. Even when teams like Oldham turned up we would get less than 4k, even though they were a premiership team only a couple of years before.
There just isn't enough town fans. Lots of football fans who will turn up for the big games but not enough buying season tickets. Even with the stadium I think we'd struggle to get 10000 against the big teams in the championship. The Sheffield teams and Leeds would probably get around 10k. Alot less than the likes of Rotherham I think?

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
Grim up north
March 3, 2015, 4:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
Gold Stars: 1
Around that time was probably the low point for attendances throughout the leagues not just our own in fact whilst Hull City were in league 2 they struggled to attract more than 2000 and I remember Doncaster under 2000. Nowadays crowds have increased and with a new stadium you have the potential of local rivals such as the Sheffield clubs ,Leeds etc easily bringing 4000 then factor in the attraction of a new stadium and decent facilities with a decent side and you could be surprised at what we attract in modern times. It would certainly lead me into buying a season ticket for the first time ever .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
Les Brechin
March 3, 2015, 4:33pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,700
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from nightrider
Youre right Rancido
I remember going to gamesin that period when we were getting less than 4k. Port Vale always seemed to be one of the worst attended games of the season. Even when teams like Oldham turned up we would get less than 4k, even though they were a premiership team only a couple of years before.
There just isn't enough town fans. Lots of football fans who will turn up for the big games but not enough buying season tickets. Even with the stadium I think we'd struggle to get 10000 against the big teams in the championship. The Sheffield teams and Leeds would probably get around 10k. Alot less than the likes of Rotherham I think?

I hope that I get the chance to see you proved wrong!  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Attendances at BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.