Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › NLP: Significant error in Town match report
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 351 Guests

NLP: Significant error in Town match report

This thread currently has 1,700 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
March 29, 2015, 2:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
NLP match reporter Bobby Hellard published his final version of our game yesterday. The heading is "Town Crown in Sight!".  However, he must have not updated his final version at 93 minutes in the Alfreton v Barnet match.   He must have missed Agent Wood's penalty because his report says "The Mariners are just 3 points adrift of leaders Barnet with only 5 games remaining".  (Maybe he wrote the report well before the end of the match as we were comfortably in control).  

The NLP do an excellent job so they can be excused this important oversight.  They have limited resources and tight copy deadlines to meet.    Their league tables had the points totals correct.  

The match report was accurate in other aspects:  "The away side looked in total control throughout.  They delighted their 600-strong travelling support with some neat inter changes and eventually made their dominance count before the break".  Arnold was named MOM.

In other reports:
Gateshead were said to be with 9-11 players out over the last 5 matches.  The NLP report said that Gateshead were leg-weary yesterday.  Losing at home to Eastleigh was a game too far for them. Eastleigh had 9 shots on target.  Only the Gateshead loan keeper making his home debut kept them in the game. Gateshead are playing 2 games a week with a threadbare squad (no Oster).  We can hope that they come to Grimsby in the same form. Gateshead certainly do not have a settled team.

The Alfreton manager said that his team deserved at least a point from the Barnet game.  "You can see why Barnet are where they are;  they're big, strong and very direct". (You can add they have a big bustling centre-forward. I wonder if they have any variety to their play over the next 5 games?).    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Caesar
March 29, 2015, 2:51pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
From what little I know of sports journalism I think writers actually write the report during the game so that the majority of it is written and a few details can be filled in slightly later.  This means they can send over the copy as quickly as possible rather than waiting for the end of the game, then spending another hour writing it up.  Guess that is an error that must have slipped through the editing process, agree though I will forgive them for the generally strong coverage!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 4
grimsby pete
March 29, 2015, 5:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I read that and thought it was written by a Barnet supporter  

About Gateshead, they have another long journey to Dartford on Tuesday,

They should be there for the taking on Saturday,

As long as our players work as hard as they have done all season,

I am sure they will,

Is another six goals too much to ask ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 4
arryarryarry
March 29, 2015, 8:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
I believe their keeper who has had the odd stormer against us in the past is out injured for the rest of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 4
gtfc98
March 30, 2015, 12:40pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 65
Quoted from grimsby pete
I read that and thought it was written by a Barnet supporter  

About Gateshead, they have another long journey to Dartford on Tuesday,

They should be there for the taking on Saturday,

As long as our players work as hard as they have done all season,

I am sure they will,

Is another six goals too much to ask ?

Steady on Pete! 60 years supporting the mariners and you're that optimistic?!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 4
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › NLP: Significant error in Town match report

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.