This thread currently has 6,744 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
April 1, 2015, 8:06am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I will not be at the game, but it is great to see so many people planning to be there. I do have a concern though and that is about potential crowd trouble before, during or after the game. Although most of the 2500 will go to support the team and create a great atmosphere, on these sort of occasions there will be a minority usually fuelled by drink who can really spoil things and give the club a bad name. I will be calling upon the club to make an announcement at the game on Saturday and also in the press, thanking fans for the support but asking those fans who are going to get behind the team and act responsibly so as not to create any bad press for the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
big al
April 1, 2015, 8:12am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from oldun
I will not be at the game, but it is great to see so many people planning to be there. I do have a concern though and that is about potential crowd trouble before, during or after the game. Although most of the 2500 will go to support the team and create a great atmosphere, on these sort of occasions there will be a minority usually fuelled by drink who can really spoil things and give the club a bad name. I will be calling upon the club to make an announcement at the game on Saturday and also in the press, thanking fans for the support but asking those fans who are going to get behind the team and act responsibly so as not to create any bad press for the club.

Fair enough. It's a bank holiday with a huge turn out of town fans, many of whom will probably have had a lot to drink. It's pretty easy to predict and believe there might be crowd trouble I guess and I, just like the rest of us, have seen some bad stuff over the years caused by our pond life element that turn out for these matches.......but on this occasion I just think we should celebrate all this good feeling and hope that the huge wave of positivity that is flowing through the club, the  players and the fans, squeezes any potential bovver out!

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 33
aldi_01
April 1, 2015, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Let's not forget that trouble at Alfreton has happened before. It wasn't all 'our' fault either.

Last year the police tried their hardest in the pub we were in to annoy people and we know that Derby's moron element will make a trip over.

If im being honest I'm more concerned about parking and places to go before KO...I can see the police telling pubs to shut and making a real hash of it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 33
buckstown
April 1, 2015, 8:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,174
Gold Stars: 79
Great post - have a fantastic day but please remember you're representing your town and football club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 33
Rick12
April 1, 2015, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from oldun
Good points.Shame a few spoil the clubs name for the rest of us.Hopefully there wont be any and the fans bring some noise down there and positive vibes to hopefully keep the run going (feeling positive now more than ever before) keep the pressure on Barnet.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 33
big al
April 1, 2015, 8:54am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
The fans have a part to play in policing other fans. I saw that at the Chester game where it  was our fans who put a few meatheads in their place - nearly all of them over 40 (too easy to assume it's going to me a bunch of kids who are likely to cause trouble).

Other factors are beyond our control - poor or naïve policing for one.

I just thought it was a bit disappointing that this thread even started. Lets just keep to all the good stuff on here.

The town are going up.........whatever Bristol or Barnet think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 33
ska face
April 1, 2015, 10:49am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Nothing like a bit of hysterical, unnecessary scaremongering, eh?

Away from BP this year, town fans have behaved impeccably in the main, and incidents of disorder have been virtually non-existent from what I've seen. We are regularly commended for our behaviour from opposition clubs - you only have to go back to Saturday for the latest round of positive feedback from a home club.

There seems to be a completely different atmosphere at matches this season, and I've certainly not encountered anything even close to a hostile atmosphere. It's much more jovial and supportive - precisely as it should be.

Have there been incidents in the past at Alfreton? A bit of fence rattling by about three home fans once...that about it? There are always issues with the police trying to impede fans from peacefully walking from the train station to the ground - perhaps they should learn their lesson and not antagonise people unnecessarily? Then again, they wouldn't be the police if they didn't cause some kind of pointless issue. Even last year, town fans were stuck on the terrace or in a pub (or church car park...) on one of the hottest days of the year as the game got delayed and delayed - all without a problem.

We don't need to be reminded to behave, thanks. This sort of embarrassing, archaic attitude does nothing for the reputation of the club, the fans or football fans as a whole - just look at the impact that these negative stereotypes has had on the new ground.

The only worry I've got is the miserable illegitimates from BP turning up and ruining the atmosphere that has been fantastic since August.
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 33
grimps
April 1, 2015, 10:50am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,097
Gold Stars: 46
I think slagging our own fans off before they have even done anything wrong just about sums up this board sometimes.
Yes we will have a few hundred drunk up fans there , yes a few will swear and make a few inappropriate comments and songs but as a whole our fans are loved in this league because they are a little bit mad.
If people want to sit in a boring cooperate atmosphere then go watch a premiership club or update your Sky package.

The people of Grimsby love an away day , they always have as long as I can remember , which is why are away support is often out of proportion to the home support.
I know that Bristol Rovers call themselves the Pirates but to be fair I believe the Mariners are the real pirates of the lower leagues, Now I'm pretty sure there wont be any rape and pillaging going on but yes we are a little rough round the edges.
Dont stand there tutting and and shaking your head on Monday itching to get back and post on here what scumbags we are and how embarrassed you are of our fans , just smile and be proud that despite hundreds of years are hardship and being shat on this towns folk are still as mad as they come
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 33
grimsby pete
April 1, 2015, 11:01am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
We have got the best away fans in this league and most of the other leagues as well,

The ones that occasionally course trouble are not fans and do not go to many games,

They just go to course trouble when there is a big crowd  thinking they can get away with it.

I hope it all goes smoothly and we come away trouble free with the 3 points.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 33
wigworld
April 1, 2015, 11:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Derby are away at Wigan that day, so there may be a few of their 'more lively' element around.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 33
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Worried about Alfreton game

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.