BIGChris
April 25, 2015, 9:58am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Tommy
Obviously it's all "if's" and "but's", but I think Mills could really achieve something here with our budget.

Yeah he obviously dropped a bollock with Magnay but every manager has probably got rid of someone who's proved them wrong at some point, even the best Managers.

He has a similar budget at Gateshead so I understand
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
Abdul19
April 25, 2015, 11:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,538
Gold Stars: 215
What was his budget at York like? They lost half a million quid or so so I'm guessing it was decent, but still must've been less than Fleetwood and Luton (who they hilariously beat in the final with an offside by 15 yards winner!)?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
KingstonMariner
April 25, 2015, 5:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What's the source of the statements about the size of gateshead's budget?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
MeanwoodMariner
April 25, 2015, 5:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner
What's the source of the statements about the size of gateshead's budget?

I don't know how people find the exact budgets but I know in an Interview with Magnay a few weeks back he said that at the start of the season Gateshead were "hoping to win the title with their increased budget". They also paid Rodman more than we could afford. Not exactly a scientific approach to calculating their budget but I think it's fair to say they're not plucky minnows in this division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
chaos33
April 25, 2015, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,927
Gold Stars: 357
And that's it is it? How scientific for what is basically a received idea. Maybe Gateshead paid Rodman more money than we wanted to pay him, rather than what we could afford.

The truth is, nobody on here knows how big the relative budgets are for sure, and budgets are fluid anyway. It's fairly well known that FGR are big payers, and Eastleigh are too. Beyond that, relative budgets are guesswork unless you are privy to an awful lot of very specific information.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
KingstonMariner
April 25, 2015, 6:02pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The only halfway reliable bit of information (until a year and a half later when company accounts are published - and even they are opaque at times) are attendances. So bar obvious cases where clubs bring in players from a much higher level (a la Crawley) I'd assume Cheatshead have a modest budget and that we have probably the 3rd or maybe 2nd biggest budget.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
MeanwoodMariner
April 25, 2015, 6:09pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
And that's it is it? How scientific for what is basically a received idea. Maybe Gateshead paid Rodman more money than we wanted to pay him, rather than what we could afford.

The truth is, nobody on here knows how big the relative budgets are for sure, and budgets are fluid anyway. It's fairly well known that FGR are big payers, and Eastleigh are too. Beyond that, relative budgets are guesswork unless you are privy to an awful lot of very specific information.

Perhaps you're right and Gateshead are conference minnows and we only offered Rodman part time wages. I have no idea. I certainly make no claims of accurately estimating club budgets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
chaos33
April 25, 2015, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
No need to be churlish about it. I didn't say Gateshead are Conference minnows, and neither did I say we offered Rodman part time wages. Just pointing out that just because they paid him more than we wanted to doesn't mean they have a bigger budget than us. I know you have confidently declared relative conference budgets before. Merely pointing out that many a budget opinion is confidently stated, with no real basis in facts. Having a top 6 budgets list is little more than guesswork and hearsay. I think all that can be confidently declared (and I know this from a player) is that FGR and Eastleigh pay high wages, and Gateshead are decent payers too. As are we.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
MeanwoodMariner
April 25, 2015, 6:25pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Don't be churlish about it. I didn't say Gateshead are Conference minnows, and neither did I say we offered Rodman part time wages. Just pointing out that just because they paid him more than we wanted to doesn't mean they have a bigger budget than us. I know you have confidently declared relative conference budgets before. Merely pointing out that many a budget opinion is confidently stated, with no real basis in facts. having a top 6 budgets list is little more than guesswork and hearsay. I think all that can be confidently declared (and I know this from a player) is that FGR and Eastleigh pay high wages.

Would that be when I claimed Alfreton and Telford have bigger budgets than us? I think that's the only thing I've posted about budgets. There was a clue there that I wasn't too serious and have no idea what the relative budgets are.

I offered a couple of pieces of (possibly meaningless) clues that suggest Gateshead have a competitive budget. I'm not sure why it wound you up so much.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
chaos33
April 25, 2015, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It didn't wind me up, and you're backtracking. You suggested that Gateshead were able to pay Rodman more than we could afford to.
Sounds like we actually agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham boss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.