MeanwoodMariner
April 25, 2015, 7:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from chaos33
It didn't wind me up, and you're backtracking. You suggested that Gateshead were able to pay Rodman more than we could afford to.
Sounds like we actually agree.

Haha, ok, I'll grant you that I was making the assumption that we offered Rodman something generally in line with other players, i.e. what our budget allows for. That assumption may not be valid and we may have offered less than we could actually afford. We definitely agree that guessing budgets is a very difficult thing to do.

The only facts that we do know for certain are that over the season we got 20 points more than Gateshead and finished 7 places higher. There was a post earlier in this thread (not by you) that suggested based on budgets, Mills has outperformed Hurst. I find that a very strange claim to make given what we've both said about the mystery of budgets.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 43
chaos33
April 25, 2015, 8:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,786
Gold Stars: 349
Yes, fair point and clearly, Mills hasn't outperfromed Hurst. Who knows what the relative budgets are, and I agree it was a strange conclusion to draw.
I suspect that Gateshead will be disappointed with what Mills has delivered this season, which is something of a regression on last season, for what was probably a bigger financial investment. Mills was given permission to talk to Wrexham, and that tells its own story for me. I'd suspect he may well not be the Gateshead Manager next season.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 43
KingstonMariner
April 25, 2015, 8:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
It was me who said it, and given all we do know for certain about budgets (our relative attendance*) is that Gateshead if anything overachieved this year and especially last, but we haven't.  Until someone comes up with evidence that Mills had a bigger budget or even anything close to ours, I stand by that conclusion.

* and not forgetting that we overspend every year too.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 43
Les Brechin
April 27, 2015, 4:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Gary Mills appointed new boss of Tranmere I understand.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 43
pontoonlew
April 27, 2015, 9:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Wise move by Tranmere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 43
mimma
April 27, 2015, 11:49pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
Rodman left here to join a big Scottish club, stating that the only reason was to play in a better league. Once he left, there was a change in manager & he didn't want Rodman. Meanwhile we signed his replacement, Jack, so he was left without a club, & ended up at Gateshead.

To suggest that Gateshead paid him more than us to get him is totally wrong. He left to better himself, it didn't work, ended up at Gateshead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 43
fiveallive
April 28, 2015, 3:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I can't believe this has turned in to a Alex Rodman thread we offered him a new improved deal, he turned it down there is no suprise that his performances improved a lot after christmas when he probably heard from his agent of Hibs interest he was a one man team sometimes runs with his head down and woudn't pass, don't want players who don't want to wore the black and white shirt, he turned us down for me this league is better then the Scottish Football League anyway.

We was able to bring in Jack Mackreth and Nathan Arnold on shared wages, which helped us in the long run with signings of Christian Jolley and Jordan Chappell (on loan) granted i know Jolley has been dissapointment but i still believe with a proper pre season he could be a dangerous player he once was it was only couple of seasons a go he devastating against us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 43
Brisbane Mariner
April 28, 2015, 4:01am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Size doesn't matter - it's what you do with it that counts!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 43
fiveallive
April 28, 2015, 4:13am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
Going back to Gary Mills what he did at York was terrific i didn't think all that much to Fyfield, Paddy, Kerr, Chambers Doig was okay Parslow decent versatile player for us jury still out on Scottie Brown faded a lot after christmas the first 10 or 12 games he was our best player.

For me this Gateshead team was weaker team this season just gone, then the one before Magnay, Marwood, Maddison, Oster, Chandler, Shaw, Lester for his experience all impressed, especially Magnay he played LB no surprise PH snapped him up.

But for me i most impressed with this season was Saint-Luce he was the difference against us and that Gateshead team we played last season was his team he picked in pre season the one before was what he inherited, he made them a worser team in my opinion.

Some fans suggesting Gary Mills if we don't go up is a bit harsh PH has got us to the Play Offs the last three seasons, we got off to a poor start which cost us you have to get wins in them early games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 43
LongEatonMariner
April 28, 2015, 9:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from mimma
Rodman left here to join a big Scottish club, stating that the only reason was to play in a better league. Once he left, there was a change in manager & he didn't want Rodman. Meanwhile we signed his replacement, Jack, so he was left without a club, & ended up at Gateshead.

To suggest that Gateshead paid him more than us to get him is totally wrong. He left to better himself, it didn't work, ended up at Gateshead.

Spot on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Wrexham boss

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.