Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New GTFC Anthem?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 162 Guests

New GTFC Anthem?

This thread currently has 8,845 views. Print
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
May 11, 2015, 1:42pm
Guest User
Apologies for duplicating this comment, but I didn't think it would get noticed lost in another thread and I really would like your opinions on it.

It's a shame really that as a club we don't have an anthem that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up (Fentyism). I suppose Sing When We're Fishing is as close as it gets to us. Mariners, Mariners, Mariners is okay I suppose, but even that can sound a bit drab.

Perhaps it is time that as a club we adopted a new anthem to carry us forward from this point onward. One that we become renowned by for years to come and one that really sounds awesome when sang by a crowd.

Given that we are the Mariners, then it really ought to have a maritime/nautical theme too it. How about this one? Opinions please?

Do you think those guys that do so well in getting the singing going could get themselves together and get this ringing out around Wembley? Are we up getting something like this organised by the weekend do you think?

This clip was even at Wembley. Suggest that you play the full clip to appreciate the atmosphere that this song creates, especially when the whole of Wembley sing it at the end of the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwZqfZVSXo

Here it is again with a different crowd/audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpbuqh12oj4

Again get the bit where the crowd are singing this. Can just imagine a sea of Mariners (no pun intended), arms in the air, swaying and singing this.

So do you think we can get this going for Wembley and show those Rovers that we can better their Goodnight Irene?

Mariners? Sailing? It's obvious isn't it. A cracking anthem for the Mighty Mariners to reflect our heritage.
Jaws
May 11, 2015, 1:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
No
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 49
LH
May 11, 2015, 1:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
Our next game is against some Pirates. Let's all have a big nautical love in.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 49
moosey_club
May 11, 2015, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from LH
Our next game is against some Pirates. Let's all have a big nautical love in.

I thought you was in the RAF?? Loving the Navy...whatever next ????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....p;   

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 49
LH
May 11, 2015, 2:36pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,389
Gold Stars: 169
The ultra small print says (aero)nautical.  
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 49
WappingMariner
May 11, 2015, 2:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125
Quoted from 120790
Apologies for duplicating this comment, but I didn't think it would get noticed lost in another thread and I really would like your opinions on it.

It's a shame really that as a club we don't have an anthem that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up (Fentyism). I suppose Sing When We're Fishing is as close as it gets to us. Mariners, Mariners, Mariners is okay I suppose, but even that can sound a bit drab.

Perhaps it is time that as a club we adopted a new anthem to carry us forward from this point onward. One that we become renowned by for years to come and one that really sounds awesome when sang by a crowd.

Given that we are the Mariners, then it really ought to have a maritime/nautical theme too it. How about this one? Opinions please?

Do you think those guys that do so well in getting the singing going could get themselves together and get this ringing out around Wembley? Are we up getting something like this organised by the weekend do you think?

This clip was even at Wembley. Suggest that you play the full clip to appreciate the atmosphere that this song creates, especially when the whole of Wembley sing it at the end of the clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trwZqfZVSXo

Here it is again with a different crowd/audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpbuqh12oj4

Again get the bit where the crowd are singing this. Can just imagine a sea of Mariners (no pun intended), arms in the air, swaying and singing this.

So do you think we can get this going for Wembley and show those Rovers that we can better their Goodnight Irene?

Mariners? Sailing? It's obvious isn't it. A cracking anthem for the Mighty Mariners to reflect our heritage.

Mariners is rousing and sounds ruddy wonderful when chanted in unison. Wash your mouth out.

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 49
immariner
May 11, 2015, 4:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3riwciAx6Sk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWtA1LNvIg

Mariners can sound drab if there's not real vigour behind it or it's sung too quickly. Paul Hurst's Black & White army fizzles out these days because it is sung too quickly. A few years ago we were singing that for most of the second half against Lincoln and it sounded ace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 49
mimma
May 11, 2015, 4:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,545
Gold Stars: 78
On Sunday we're going to have to listen to "goodnight Irene" from the Rovers lot. Why they chose that particular song I have no idea.

For me if we were to have an anthem, I  would choose the fisherman's hymn, "for those in peril on the sea". I think it would sound good, and be appropriate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 49
immariner
May 11, 2015, 4:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
How about this in response?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC1vtG3oyqg

Obviously substitute Eileen for Irene. Joking of course!

Greasy chip butty is our anthem, regardless of what Sheff Utd say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 49
Marinerz93
May 11, 2015, 4:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Heritage you say.

[youtube]42Ev3tJWZjs[/youtube]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 49
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New GTFC Anthem?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.