Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who in the Football Association appoints referees?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 349 Guests

Who in the Football Association appoints referees?

This thread currently has 3,018 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Teestogreen
May 21, 2015, 6:47pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
It is interesting to me - as someone on another thread confirmed that Michael Oliver (the best referee in the country i. m. o), who is in the Premier League list of referees, did referee the F A Trophy final -

whereas a semi - professional referee who has a poor history against the Town - but not against Bristol Rovers - see link - gets appointed for a massive game (in terms of Conference League football).

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....84-detail/story.html

I have had a look on the Football Association website, but can not identify who these people are, because there appears to be no mention of them.

The Conference League does appear to be under the umbrella of the Football Association, as far as can see, although the general manager of the Conference League has this reference:

'Dennis Strudwick - General Manager.
Former cost Accountant in construction industry and Building Society Branch Manager. Following a 15 year playing career (part-time) in senior football, including over 300 appearances for hometown club Horsham, he entered football administration with the Sussex Sunday League (5 years) before being appointed Secretary to the Southern League in 1982. After becoming the second longest serving Secretary (25 years), and the second longest serving Treasurer (24 years) he was appointed General Manager of the Football Conference in 2007.

This chap seems to have another 3 members in his team and that's it.

This whole murky (lacking in transparency it seems to me) scenario does bother me a bit as well - considering the outcome last Sunday.

Happy to be put right, by people that make big decisions.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
May 21, 2015, 6:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Appreciate you may have a genuine interest but it's time to move on IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Tangerine Chris
May 21, 2015, 6:58pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
Teestogreen
May 21, 2015, 7:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Appreciate you may have a genuine interest but it's time to move on IMO.

Thanks for moving it on (let's forget all about it) - I suppose so - not a question worth asking - is it? Gateshead last season, Bristol Rovers this season - next season after another 48 + matches (if we're lucky)? Difficult to have any confidence in this League.

UTM though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
Perkins
May 21, 2015, 8:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,964
Gold Stars: 7
Well, we won't have to worry about Joyce next season, he's been promoted to the Football League after he topped the Conference merit table. The mind boggles. Apologies if it's already been posted.

Quote from the Middlesborough Gazette:

Boro fans may be dreaming of the play-off final, but one Teesside ref has already secured a Wembley/promotion double.

On Sunday, Eston official Ross Joyce takes charge of the Conference play-off final between Bristol Rovers and Grimsby Town.

One of these teams will take their place in the Football League next season and will be joined there by Ross.

After finishing top of the merit table in the Football Conference and enjoying a successful interview, he has been promoted to the League list for next season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
ginnywings
May 21, 2015, 8:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from Teestogreen

Thanks for moving it on (let's forget all about it) - I suppose so - not a question worth asking - is it? Gateshead last season, Bristol Rovers this season - next season after another 48 + matches (if we're lucky)? Difficult to have any confidence in this League.

UTM though.

The game is littered with poor refereeing decisions right up to and including the World Cup with the supposed beat refs on the planet. It was always thus and will remain so. I can understand and share your frustration but nothing will be done about it. They will always close ranks and besides Joyce has been promoted to the league, so they obviously aint worried about his incompetence.

I've always said that more ex players should be encouraged to become refs. They have a greater understanding of the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
Abdul19
May 21, 2015, 8:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
The FA Trophy final had an FA (PL) ref and the Conference final had a Conference ref. Not that surprising. (On the face of it anyway).

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
Teestogreen
May 21, 2015, 9:43pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

The game is littered with poor refereeing decisions right up to and including the World Cup with the supposed beat refs on the planet. It was always thus and will remain so. I can understand and share your frustration but nothing will be done about it. They will always close ranks and besides Joyce has been promoted to the league, so they obviously aint worried about his incompetence.

I've always said that more ex players should be encouraged to become refs. They have a greater understanding of the game.

'poor refereeing decisions right up to and including the World Cup with the supposed beat refs'  -  believe it or not - I was so incensed when Frank Lampard's goal against Germany was not acknowledged in the last Euro Cup - I emailed FIFA at half time to press my case for goal line technology : never got a reply and I still feel aggrieved.

We shouldn't just let the 'faceless' mush decide what's best.

http://www.thefa.com/my-football/referee/frequently-asked-questions

Heading 5 relates best to my question.

I'm still concerned as to how the referee that took Sunday's game was chosen - given the background.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
Teestogreen
May 21, 2015, 10:07pm

Champagne Drinker
So heading 5 seems to say that Conference League refereeing is co-ordinated by the Football Association - which includes higher leagues than the Conference League.

Bristol Rovers or Grimsby   - mm?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
Teestogreen
May 21, 2015, 10:24pm

Champagne Drinker
Looks like putting the head in the Cleethorpes sand is the answer then - sums it up.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
diehardmariner
May 22, 2015, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,082
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from Teestogreen

'poor refereeing decisions right up to and including the World Cup with the supposed beat refs'  -  believe it or not - I was so incensed when Frank Lampard's goal against Germany was not acknowledged in the last Euro Cup - I emailed FIFA at half time to press my case for goal line technology : never got a reply and I still feel aggrieved.

If you're a wind up, bloody good job!!  

Private Message
Reply: 10 - 12
Teestogreen
May 24, 2015, 9:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Actually Mr  Diehardmariner - that    is     TRUE.           

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 12
Teestogreen
May 27, 2015, 10:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Interesting that all these people have been arrested, after FIFA did not reply. (shady bunch)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who in the Football Association appoints referees?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.