Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's time for three up, three down.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 241 Guests

It's time for three up, three down.

This thread currently has 6,752 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
May 23, 2015, 7:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
THE INDEPENDENT puts a very good case for three up, three down. Hopefully the authorities will take notice.

http://www.independent.co.uk/s.....t-fair-10271862.html

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
nightrider
May 23, 2015, 7:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Makes no odds to Town though as weve never finished 2nd.
You could make an argument that the likes of Eastleigh / Forest Green would devalue the league as opposed to Tranmere

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
GiveUsAG
May 23, 2015, 8:03pm

Neither above nor beneath
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +530
I personally do think it's time for change. The 3 up, 3 down initiative needs to be adopted.

I think it's a matter of time before there's either another league introduced, or the 'National league' is made a football league division.

[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/mvnser.png[/IMG]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
MarinerMart
May 23, 2015, 8:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +209
League 2 clubs would never vote for it....the only time they would want it is when they end up in the conference
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
promotion plaice
May 23, 2015, 8:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from MarinerMart
League 2 clubs would never vote for it....the only time they would want it is when they end up in the conference

Then maybe the vote should be taken out of their hands.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
GrimRob
May 23, 2015, 8:21pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MarinerMart

They might because if they do go down at least it makes it a lot easier to come back up!

Don't forget it  used to be zero, then one, then two promotion places so they have already voted for it to go up twice..

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 27
chaos33
May 23, 2015, 8:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
It's a good piece and I hope it increases popular support and a change in the rules.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
jimgtfc
May 23, 2015, 8:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,068
Gold Stars: 44
I'd actually prefer league 2 and the conference to merge and become L2 north and south. But that's another story.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
TownSNAFU5
May 23, 2015, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
It makes sense for League 2 clubs TO vote for it.  Currently, if they get relegated they are likely to spend an average of 5-7 years in NL before they back into the League again.

Relegation can happen to big teams such as Grimsby, Luton, Bristol Rovers, Wrexham and Tranmere etc.

With 3 up and 3 down they have a 50% better chance every season of getting back into League 2. This represents a much better risk to all teams than the current arrangements.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
May 23, 2015, 8:39pm
Guest User
It's fine as it is. Too many tinpot clubs are in the league as it is. We'll get out of it next season, then we'll never look back again.
Reply: 9 - 27
KingstonMariner
May 23, 2015, 9:06pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good article.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 27
Marinerz93
May 24, 2015, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 75
It's fine as it is. Too many tinpot clubs are in the league as it is. We'll get out of it next season, then we'll never look back again.

Seasons ago your comment would have been justified but now you have Towns bigger than Grimsby being funded by multi millionaires.  

Fleetwood only got their financial backer because he was refused a place on Blackpools board and now you have foreign investment.

Ground safety and facilities for fans should be the decider if a tin pot team is able to go higher up the football pyramid.

After all, it's the only real thing left in football, a non league team making their way up the football pyramid.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 27
devs
May 24, 2015, 11:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 30
great article - well argued
It will happen one day, not sure when..perhaps when more traditional, well supported clubs drop out of the football league
Top of Conf is no worse than much of League Two
It's unfair, unsustainable and undemocratic to have only one automatic promotion spot
Conference to me is no longer the poor relation - it's League Three in all but name - but it's the stigma of being classed non league
Three up and three down needs to happen sooner rather than later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 27
GrimRob
May 24, 2015, 11:25am

They should get rid of 4 up from League 2 and change that to 3 up as well it's a total anachronism. We got relegated from League 1 in fourth bottom place as I recall.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 13 - 27
rancido
May 24, 2015, 11:32am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,533
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 75

What an arrogant attitude! What criteria do you use to define a club as " tinpot". Surely the whole point of the football league pyramid is to allow any team, given time , to achieve success through promotions? There are many teams in the league who have become " established league teams" even though they have only achieved league status in the last 50 or 60 years. Wigan Athletic are a prime example. They were only formed in 1932 and only got Football League status in the 1977-78 season. This was under the old system of being " voted " into the league and this was at the expense of Southport who failed at their attempt of re-election. I would imagine Wigan might come under your description of " tinpot " if you had expressed a view at the time.
IMO their should be an equal number of promotion places in each of the leagues, this would give a more balanced structure. The greatest anomoly is the fact that 4 teams are promoted from League 2 to League 1 yet only 2 teams are relegated from League 2. 4 teams are promoted into the Vanarama Conference , which seems to indicate a bias towards teams attaining Football League status.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 27
AndyDarloFC
May 24, 2015, 11:35am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from jimgtfc
I'd actually prefer league 2 and the conference to merge and become L2 north and south. But that's another story.

Stuff that. I miss the long distance trips as it is being at our level!

So, the sooner we get back to the Conference. The sooner I can enjoy long trips away to Torquay etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 15 - 27
HertsGTFC
May 24, 2015, 12:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Maybe the 3rd place team in the Conference should play off against the team that finishes 3rd bottom in League 2? One off game neutral ground..........or considering that attendance between Southern and Wycombe yesterday it could be the curtain raiser for the league 2 play off final.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 27
Jaws
May 24, 2015, 1:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Leave it as it is. Get out of this league and stay out, don't make it easier to fall back down here. Care about town first and foremost - once we're out of here, this league is the least of our concerns. None of us cared before we got relegated.

All this moral high-ground people are taking is a load of balderdash. How many of us care about the conference north??
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 27
rancido
May 24, 2015, 5:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Again a totally selfish attitude! The WHOLE structure of the Football League needs looking into and a fair system for the whole of the pyramid needs to be agreed. The same promotion and relegation for all the structure is the only way to go. The system is bigger than any single club and that is the point.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 27
GYinScuntland
May 24, 2015, 7:01pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from rancido

What an arrogant attitude! What criteria do you use to define a club as " tinpot". Surely the whole point of the football league pyramid is to allow any team, given time , to achieve success through promotions? There are many teams in the league who have become " established league teams" even though they have only achieved league status in the last 50 or 60 years. Wigan Athletic are a prime example. They were only formed in 1932 and only got Football League status in the 1977-78 season. This was under the old system of being " voted " into the league and this was at the expense of Southport who failed at their attempt of re-election. I would imagine Wigan might come under your description of " tinpot " if you had expressed a view at the time.IMO their should be an equal number of promotion places in each of the leagues, this would give a more balanced structure. The greatest anomoly is the fact that 4 teams are promoted from League 2 to League 1 yet only 2 teams are relegated from League 2. 4 teams are promoted into the Vanarama Conference , which seems to indicate a bias towards teams attaining Football League status.

That's right, they were as tinpot as they came at the time.
I'd argue they aren't where they are on merit but rather the money thown at them which show's in my opinion that you can indeed polish a turd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 27
rancido
May 24, 2015, 7:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GYinScuntland

That's right, they were as tinpot as they came at the time.
I'd argue they aren't where they are on merit but rather the money thown at them which show's in my opinion that you can indeed polish a turd.

The amazing thing about the whole situation about Wigans'  promotion is that they finished 2nd in their league ( the Midland League I think ). Boston finished top but their application to join the league was refused  because their ground didn't meet current league regulations at the time! If Boston had had a better ground at the time then it's possible that Wigan would still be a " tinpot club " !

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
UTMariners
May 24, 2015, 10:42pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +424
Gold Stars: 6
Just started a #threeupthreedown on twitter highlighting that only 1200 more at league one play off final than conference final..

"My love, my heart, my soul, my life.  My beloved Club Grimsby."

Salford Mariner

Join the Trust!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Plankton
May 25, 2015, 1:23am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,197
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from rancido

The amazing thing about the whole situation about Wigans'  promotion is that they finished 2nd in their league ( the Midland League I think ). Boston finished top but their application to join the league was refused  because their ground didn't meet current league regulations at the time! If Boston had had a better ground at the time then it's possible that Wigan would still be a " tinpot club " !

You're absolutely right. History is a funny thing, events happen and over time it's all forgotten. In an alternate reality Hull could be the Chelsea/Man City of today.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
GrimRob
May 25, 2015, 7:15am

It's all about population though. All of the top teams are in places where lots of people live. Forest Green Rovers will never be the next Wigan because they are based in a Gloucestershire village. Boston would never have been the next Wigan because it's a small town in a rural area. MK Dons have done well because they in a large, growing metropolis - 38,000 have moved to MK in the last ten years.

~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Reply: 23 - 27
Marinerz93
May 25, 2015, 10:05am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
It's all about population though. All of the top teams are in places where lots of people live. Forest Green Rovers will never be the next Wigan because they are based in a Gloucestershire village. Boston would never have been the next Wigan because it's a small town in a rural area. MK Dons have done well because they in a large, growing metropolis - 38,000 have moved to MK in the last ten years.

MK Mongs are not a real club though, they are a parasite that took over their host and it seems they infected fans of other teams too  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
rancido
May 25, 2015, 12:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

It's not just about population though is it ? There are many conurbations with teams in the football league that are smaller than Grimsby or NE Lincs. Facilities, population and infrastructure will all provide a limiting factor as to how far any club can progress unless of course you have a billionaire who is prepared to pump any amount of money into that club just to satisfy his own ego. When we played at Championship level we revelled at playing and competing with " the big boys " of the Football League. It's quite likely that their supporters regarded us as " tinpot " with an outmoded ground and average gates of around 7,000. Teams should be promoted on merit regardless of whether they represent a large town or some small rural outpost. The majority of fans on this site are very scathing about the Premiersh*t and all it represents, especially their elitist approach. If you deny the right of any club to gain promotion through the leagues, based on performance, then all you are doing is promoting an elitist approach further down the Football League pyramid and that is detrimental to football in general.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
Spiritater
May 26, 2015, 7:57am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +138
We were the same as you lot when we were down there with this question. Now we'd never vote for it as a straight 3 relegation spots. There is though mileage in  the 3rd  bottom Lge 2 going into playoffs with 3rd, 4th and 5th in t'Conference as it gives the Lge 2 team a last chance to prove they are worthy of such a sought after and precious position.... that they are in fact better than such as Eastleigh, FGR etc.

Once you are out though (and believe me boys it's been too long now, you are better than that) you'll not vote for 3 up 3 down if the vote comes in the next 4-5 years.

To get to the FL has to be won the hard way it has to really be that important, that precious, and would devalue it if it was made easier.

There's no getting away from the fact that the best two (not by much I admit) went up this year.

The stage is set for you lot to lead the pack next season. All the very best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
TownSNAFU5
May 26, 2015, 3:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Promotion should only be on  "playing" merit.  Same about Boston United not being promoted because of their ground.  Which is not that bad anyway.

The current example is Bournemouth.  They are now in the Prem on merit but have a ground that holds only 12,000. The club want to use this small capacity to their own advantage.

Very interestingly, Eddie Howe wants the away fans to still be located in a corner.  He believes his team get a pyschological advantage from having home fans behind both goals.

The club have rejected the opportunity to increase the capacity to 15,000.  Away fans must have up to 10% of the overall capacity.  Increasing the capacity would mean that having more away fans would mean that they would have to be located behind the goal.  Howe has rejected any plans that stop home fans being both goals.

(Are you listening Town re having home fans inthe Osmond Stand more next season?.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's time for three up, three down.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.