3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
immariner
May 30, 2015, 3:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,406
Gold Stars: 60
I think as a supporter base we should really push ourselves next year. We saw in the second half of the season how much our support, especially away from home made a big difference to the team, which though impossible to quantity, probably contributed to a few extra points. I think that proved to those that say 'fans only react to what's happening on the pitch' and 'it's up to the players to get the crowd going' that that simply isn't true and that it's a two-way street. A proactive, supportive crowd who support the players because they want to see them succeed but also because they take pleasure in the collective noise a crowd can make (sounds a bit sad but I know I do) really can be the difference.

With that in mind, is it possible to achieve at least 4000 supporters at home and 500 away to all Saturday league games next season? I think it is. Torquay/Gateshead/Barrow/Cheltenham/Forest Green might be a stretch but it is possible. And though pure numbers doesn't count for everything, our collective support obviously gives us our budget and we're all so desperate to get out of the conference. Of course it depends how we go on the pitch but if we all spread the word and try and get our fellow (lapsed) Mariners to come along, we can, between us, achieve great things next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
May 30, 2015, 3:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Think it's a 2 way street myself- the fans and the players feed off each other. Which one starts the ball rolling is open to debate.

It seemed to be the incident with the inflatable ball at FGR that galvanised the fans last season. Strange how things work out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
Grantham_Mariner
May 30, 2015, 4:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 50
Think we should boycott  FGR next season and just send 500 inflatables.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
Grantham_Mariner
May 30, 2015, 4:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 50

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
Belfast Town
May 30, 2015, 4:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

On the contrary, we should aim to take as many as possible, all with inflatables a la Barnet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
Laddy89
May 30, 2015, 4:49pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 6
The fans will start the ball rolling to begin with, no doubt.

If the feel good factor continues, which im sure it will, the fans will go.

If the first game is away, we will fill the allocation,  and if at home, I hope 6,000.

Then its down to the players to get off to a good start and give the fans something to feed off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 25
Mariner Timsky
May 30, 2015, 4:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
I'm hoping FGR away will beat the Barnet away game for atmosphere

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
Caesar
May 30, 2015, 5:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Personally I think that is a very good target we should set. Plus while some away games are tough to, the southern exiles like myself should be able to boost the numbers.

The noise factor is deffo a 2 way street amd sometimes you need a spark on the pitch. But I can easily think of a couple of occassions this season where fans chanting pushed the team on to secure points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
rancido
May 30, 2015, 5:17pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
I think the key is about two things a/ who we sign this summer and b/ how we perform the first home game. If we sign some half decent players AND show an intent to storm this league first home match then the supporters will come. The first home game  is crucial and a decent , attractive performance could set the tone for the season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
KK_DOG
May 30, 2015, 5:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
I certainly fancy a weekend in Torquay. Hope it's early on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 4000/500

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.