Private Message
Maringer
June 16, 2015, 12:01am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Anyone but Kendall. If I wanted to vote for a Tory I'd have voted for Call Me Dave's bunch last month. Judging by some of her recent comments, she's almost as economically illiterate as Osborne, which is really going some. For another Tory in disguise, see also Umunna, so it is good that he dropped out of the contest so quickly.

Cooper is a highly intelligent and capable politician (who understands economics!) but her marriage to Balls and somewhat robotic style means she isn't a great choice. Too much for the Tory press to get their knives into there, I think.

Good to see Corbyn entering the fray as, you know, the Labour party really ought to have a left-wing option on their leadership ballot. The fact that none of the others have made a serious stand against austerity (though Cooper and Burnham certainly understand the glaring flaws of recent economic policy) shows just how weak and unwilling they are to take on the nonsense which has become perceived wisdom promoted by Osborne and his chums in the right-wing press. Corbyn is in there to open up the debate a little so good on him. If nothing else, it will reveal how weak or how calculated the others are. Oh, nice to get a candidate who didn't go to Oxbridge as well!

Don't dislike Burnham though he doesn't impress me a great deal either. I suspect he's the best option all told, but we would probably need to rely on a implosion in the Conservative party for him to win the next election. Perhaps just possible when you consider some of the planned Tory policies but highly unlikely because they are going to gerrymander, I mean reorganise the constituency boundaries making it all but impossible for Labour to get a big enough swing to win outright next time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 59
psgmariner
June 16, 2015, 11:29am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
The public rejected the left wing option at the general election. Like when England sack their football manager I can see a swing to the opposite extreme so expect one of the Tories in disguise to get it. If you can't beat them....

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 59
barralad
June 16, 2015, 11:53am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from psgmariner
The public rejected the left wing option at the general election. Like when England sack their football manager I can see a swing to the opposite extreme so expect one of the Tories in disguise to get it. If you can't beat them....

Is that really entirely what happened though? Labour were massacred in Scotland for not being left-wing enough. The Tories targetted the Lib Dems in the south of England-areas that have never been Labour heartlands to great effect. True they lost marginals in the East/West Midlands they should've won but a key factor in that was the defection of Labour voters to UKIP -a strange sort of rejection of the left wing option.

Whoever the next leader is has the hardest task of any Labour leader in certainly my lifetime.

I haven't decided who to vote for yet only that it won't be the God-awful Kendall...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 59
Maringer
June 16, 2015, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
There is a valid point that the right-wing parties (Tories + UKIP) received over 50% of the vote (though obviously not of the electorate), but I personally believe much of this is down to a good proportion of voters believing the "SNP will control Miliband like a puppet" nonsense promulgated by the right-wing press and echoed by the incompetent BBC, not to mention the similar and easily disproved idea of Tory economic competence over the previous parliament. If all the newspapers and everyone on TV is telling you one thing, you can see why many will believe it, even if has little basis in truth. I wonder how many voters who would otherwise have leant towards Labour drifted across to the right because of this?

It's actually a real pity that we don't have a similar electoral process to, say, Australia where voting is actually compulsory and election day is a public holiday to make it easier for people to vote. This would go some way towards evening up the issue of the voter turnout paradox:

http://stumblingandmumbling.ty.....turnout-paradox.html

The proportion of the electorate who voted moved to the right - the people with most to lose didn't vote at all! These are the people the Labour party should be trying to get to the polls to win their votes, not the shy Conservatives who are more likely to vote regardless.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 59
FishOutOfWater
June 16, 2015, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from psgmariner

Funnily enough I'd seen something about a greater number of people voted for Milliband / Labour last month than when Blair was re-elected in 2005

http://grayee.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/ed-miliband-got-more-votes-in-england.html

What I still don't get is how we accept a system where democracy means less than 25% of the electorate gives a majority government... madness  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 59
forza ivano
June 16, 2015, 3:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
personally i don't think any of them can hold a candle to cameron and osborne, who will rubbing their hands in glee at the lack of quality. burnham and cooper are both second rate and non descript.corbyn is highly entertaining but completely unelectable. kendall is interesting but so inexperienced she'd be a liability. umunna is the one who would have given the tories something to think about so its a shame he dropped out so early.

labour has the quadruple problem of what to do in scotland, the loss of seats due to the perfectly reasonable reorganisation of constituencies, the fact that the tories are utterly ruthless and far more politically astute than labour and an improving economy.
imho labour needs to have a deep deep think about what they are offering. in the past when people's living standards were low and life consisted of working for the same company and living in council provided housing their appeal to the working class was obvious.
nowadays working people have their own homes, nice things and more leisure time. they want to keep those things and move up to say shopping at m&s and john lewis etc. they are far more right wing re immigration and crime because of this. talk to people in gy and they despise the druggies and the burglars; they don't have the liberal 'lets help these poor people, and try and help them with their problems' attitude
whilst the zero hours contracts and benefit cuts are things that labour should be against, its not the main problem for the majority of people. imho these things should be a part of their campaign but it did seem like it was almost the main things they were worried about.
labour has to win in the more affluent parts of the country, and that means a totally different approach which i just cannot see happening to avoid a seemingly inevitable defeat in 2020
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 59
psgmariner
June 16, 2015, 4:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
[quote=228]

Is that really entirely what happened though? Labour were massacred in Scotland for not being left-wing enough [quote]

I think they massacred just because they weren't the SNP.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 59
Marinerz93
June 16, 2015, 4:47pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from psgmariner
[quote=228]

Is that really entirely what happened though? Labour were massacred in Scotland for not being left-wing enough [quote]

I think they massacred just because they weren't the SNP.

I would agree with that and the way things are set up I can see the Tories being in the hot seat for the next decade.

The Scots should have been told until they understood it, that a vote for SNP is a vote for putting Tories in power.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 59
grimsby pete
June 16, 2015, 5:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am not impressed with any of them,

The other Milliband needs to come back before the next election for labour to stand any chance,

I know he went off sulking and took a highly paid job for a charity,

BUT

He is the only chance Labour have of taking power unless some other candidate appears from no where before the next election.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 59
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Labour leadership

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.