grimps
July 27, 2015, 5:37pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
Now i know these days it's all avout paying to support our team and helping them fund a promotion squad but I've been thinking about places I've got in for free over the years.
I remember in the 80's going to away games with my old man , once at Carlisle a copper on the gate opened it up and let all the Grimsby kids in for nowt.This must have been without the clubs knowledge and was just a nice gesture for traveling fans from an old style Bobby.
I always remember later in the 80s when I started going away with my mates getting in for nothing at Halifax , York and Carlisle all in the same season,  again through various means ranging from walking through an unattended gate to sliding on my bottom down a mud embankment at Halifax and climbing a wall.
I can also remember walking straight into the home and at Ipswich in the 5th round of the FA cup and a pre-season game at Lincoln without paying

As for Blundell park I can remember most of the 90's we got in for nothing by either being given free tickets by an attractive girl in the ticket office or using a dodgy turnsyle operator in the Main stand.This must have gone on for ten years with nearly everyone i knew around that time using the same methods.
I can also remember a turnstyle operator letting kids bunk in with their paying dads back in the 80s too.

I can often remember being in Blundell park when the attendance was anounced in the 80s-90s and there being a massive groan because the ground looked to have a lot more inside then the official attandence.
It makes me wonder if maybe our crowds were a lot higher than recorded back in the day
Logged Offline
Private Message
GYinScuntland
July 27, 2015, 5:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I remember climbing over that wall at Halifax. I'd need scaffolding nowadays .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 27
Grantham_Mariner
July 27, 2015, 5:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,184
Gold Stars: 51
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I remember climbing over that wall at Halifax. I'd need scaffolding nowadays .

Or a Stana Stair lift  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 27
cmackenzie4
July 27, 2015, 5:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

Or a Stana Stair lift  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 27
grimps
July 27, 2015, 5:55pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
I can also remember a load of us turning up at a pre-season game at Scunny in the early 90s and refusing to pay the price whatever it was back then, we just said that "we'll  go on the urine in Scunny if they dont let us in".Eventually a copper came back and said "would we mind paying a fiver ?" and we all then payed in.
The Chelsea 5th round cup game I walked in the main stand with an unused Southend ticket and nobody noticed.

What a load of cheeky buggers we was back then  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 27
codcheeky
July 27, 2015, 6:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Can remember Rotherham one boxing day, went in the away fans club at the ground and everyone just went through the emergency exit which led into the stand
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 27
arryarryarry
July 27, 2015, 6:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
I remember climbing over the locked gate at the bottom of the Pontoon stand on the odd occasion to save the tanner to get in.

Sixpence could go a long way in those days
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 27
WOZOFGRIMSBY
July 27, 2015, 6:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Alfreton a couple of seasons ago

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 27
BIGChris
July 27, 2015, 6:14pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
In the early 1970's a mate and I used to get to BP early and when the away team bus arrived we used to help them ( usually the coach driver) to push the kit basket into the changing rooms. We were of course then in the ground. This must have gone on for a couple of seasons
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 27
crusty ole pie
July 27, 2015, 6:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
British Grand Prix queued for an hour for gates to open at 6am when they opened the gates there was such a surg the kiosks with the chap in side collapsed and everyone walked through did not luck back to see how many got through but silver stone must have lost thousands that day  and to make it more special Nigel mansel won
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 27
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Getting in for free

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.