Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where does Paul Hurst need to strengthen now?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 116 Guests

Where does PH need to strengthen now?
  View Results 0 Votes Total
You must login or register to be allowed to participate in this poll

Where does Paul Hurst need to strengthen now?

This thread currently has 3,669 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
sutton mariner
July 28, 2015, 1:32pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Interesting poll posted on the OS. For the first time in my memory I can't with reason think of any position we need to strengthen in. Last year I'd definately have gone for up top, in previous seasons midfield.

Not a clue.

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Jarmo.Is.God
July 28, 2015, 1:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
ive clicked up front, just because that's the department we are shortest in,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 14
July 28, 2015, 1:58pm
Guest User
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
ive clicked up front, just because that's the department we are shortest in,

I'm happy with our forwards. We have three out and out forwards in Pittman, Bogle and Amond who will all ask different questions of oponents. Nathan Arnold, while primarily a winger IMO can step in if needed as we have players to play wide left (Monkhouse, Marshall) so plenty of options there.

I always think you should be looking to improve on the weakest part of your team. While I am happy with the whole squad, I wonder if we could do with a little more physicality in the middle of the park? That said, we have Scott Brown, Craig Clay, Craig Disley who are all good players. Personally, I'm expecting big things from the underrated Craig Clay this season.

I've talked myself out of the central midfield thing, our squad is looking well balanced. Sometimes you can have too many players vying for places. If there is a budget surplus, keep it for later on in the season if we need to go into the market due to injuries etc so we aren't shopping in the bargain basement store.
Reply: 2 - 14
horsforthmariner
July 28, 2015, 2:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,580
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from 75

I'm happy with our forwards. We have three out and out forwards in Pittman, Bogle and Amond who will all ask different questions of oponents. Nathan Arnold, while primarily a winger IMO can step in if needed as we have players to play wide left (Monkhouse, Marshall) so plenty of options there.

I always think you should be looking to improve on the weakest part of your team. While I am happy with the whole squad, I wonder if we could do with a little more physicality in the middle of the park? That said, we have Scott Brown, Craig Clay, Craig Disley who are all good players. Personally, I'm expecting big things from the underrated Craig Clay this season.

I've talked myself out of the central midfield thing, our squad is looking well balanced. Sometimes you can have too many players vying for places. If there is a budget surplus, keep it for later on in the season if we need to go into the market due to injuries etc so we aren't shopping in the bargain basement store.

Completely agree with this - why waste cash on a player who isn't going to play for 3 months? Save the cash if we need a player later in the season we can go for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 14
BIGChris
July 28, 2015, 2:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from 75

Sometimes you can have too many players vying for places. If there is a budget surplus, keep it for later on in the season if we need to go into the market due to injuries etc so we aren't shopping in the bargain basement store.

Agree with this. Can only have eleven starting and maybe those that dont start become a bit unsettled. Then the temptation is to chop and change to keep everyone happy.

MAYBE (?) a small compact squad with room in budget for short term loans IF needed isnt the worst position to be in?
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 14
Les Brechin
July 28, 2015, 2:14pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
I'm happy with our attacking options but would like to see another central midfielder to come in to challenge Disley, Clay and Brown. Venny and Clifton look decent prospects but not really ready to challenge for a regular first team spot I don't think.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 14
Garth
July 28, 2015, 2:19pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Ive gone for up front only because its a problem at this time to add anything to the defence or midfield, we are also OK up front but maybe just maybe a large target man would give alternatives against stubborn meathead defenders
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 14
acko338
July 28, 2015, 2:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I just hope he uses the subs bench more wisely this year, to keep the team going for a full 90 minutes, especially when winning by a thin margin, as he definitely has a better choice from the current squad than in previous seasons.

We don't want any more Chester 2-0 up trip ups this year, and this squad looks like they could handle that sort of situation in a better manner.

The style that Town have adopted in the friendlies will hopefully bring in more spectators, because scoring goals brings results over a long season - Barnet proved that even with their blips against us - their goals for was formidable and proved decisive in the run in.

We still don't have a proven Pouton / Cunnington / Cumming replacement in a powerhouse position, so perhaps either getting Brown fully fit or looking at central midfield is the only slight weakness?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 14
buckstown
July 28, 2015, 2:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,172
Gold Stars: 79
With Brown being out for most of pre-season I think we're light in midfield. If either Dis or Clay get injured it's down to the kids
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 14
Jarmo.Is.God
July 28, 2015, 2:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm happy with our attacking options but would like to see another central midfielder to come in to challenge Disley, Clay and Brown. Venny and Clifton look decent prospects but not really ready to challenge for a regular first team spot I don't think.

if they don't get a chance this year they will get released, lets not waste 2 prospects like we did with 3 prospects last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 14
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where does Paul Hurst need to strengthen now?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.