2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
August 1, 2015, 5:05pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
In the last couple of years we've not had much of a "Plan B" when things weren't going our way.

We've tinkered about a few times under Hurst/Scott&Hurst with 433 but that hasn't worked.

But it looks like we may have stumbled on a solution in the 5-3-2/3-5-2 we've switched to now a few times during pre-season.

It allows us to play the 3 top class (at this level) centre-backs we've got and allows us to get more bodies in central midfield without losing one of the outlets up front.

The other thing is it gives us a bit of flexibility with how we set the 3 midfielders up. It could work quite well with 2 CM's and then Arnold ahead of them "in the hole" for example.

Time will tell if it becomes a genuine option during the season but it looks to me as if it could. And I can imagine Hurst going for it as it saves him having to leave out one of Pearson/Gowling/Nsiala.

UTM.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
MeanwoodMariner
August 1, 2015, 5:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I agree with your positive vibes but I think you're not giving Hurst enough credit by saying we've "stumbled" upon a possible solution. He's actively been testing it and it seems to be a decent option.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 16
acko338
August 1, 2015, 8:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
You also need the right players who can adapt and look comfortable with formation changes.

This squad looks like it is no problem to them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 16
Grantham_Mariner
August 1, 2015, 8:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Plan B sorted.

What about Plan C !!!!!!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 16
Mrs Doyle
August 1, 2015, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Formations only work if the players are good enough we have players that can confidently play in several positions if need be yet still be a potent force. That is the big difference we can adapt our play to counter are opponents. No doubt a lot will park the bus but having a good attack and not relying on one man (Lewis) any more could be a real blessing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 16
rancido
August 2, 2015, 11:15am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from 59[b
]Formations only work if the players are good enough we have players that can confidently play in several positions if need be yet still be a potent force. That is the big difference we can adapt our play to counter are opponents.[/b] No doubt a lot will park the bus but having a good attack and not relying on one man (Lewis) any more could be a real blessing.

This is a very important point and often overlooked by fans. Players win games not systems BUT if the players are adaptable to cover more than one role and play accordingly then the system becomes important. A lot of full-backs can't play the role of wing-back and certainly a lot of centre-backs are very uncomfortable when they are pulled wide. Although Toto is no full back he can certainly cover the right back area as indeed can Pearson on the left ( let's face it he did it enough times when Aswad went AWOL ! ). The way PH picked is team against Boston , especially with the changes , shows to me that he was using certain players versatility to see how they coped with a change of formation. He may have been forced to because of Marshalls injury but he certainly used the opportunity to try something different. The fact that we played without a " conventional target man " also demonstrated an intentional change in our approach.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 16
Garth
August 3, 2015, 1:51pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from rancido

This is a very important point and often overlooked by fans. Players win games not systems BUT if the players are adaptable to cover more than one role and play accordingly then the system becomes important. A lot of full-backs can't play the role of wing-back and certainly a lot of centre-backs are very uncomfortable when they are pulled wide. Although Toto is no full back he can certainly cover the right back area as indeed can Pearson on the left ( let's face it he did it enough times when Aswad went AWOL ! ). The way PH picked is team against Boston , especially with the changes , shows to me that he was using certain players versatility to see how they coped with a change of formation. He may have been forced to because of Marshalls injury but he certainly used the opportunity to try something different. The fact that we played without a " conventional target man " also demonstrated an intentional change in our approach.

Bogle will be our target man when played
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 16
Maringer
August 3, 2015, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Not convinced that Bogle is strong enough in the air to play the 'target man' role. However, he does look strong on the ball so, providing we play the ball into his feet, he could do a decent job in that respect and I reckon he'll win lots of free-kicks a la Akinde.

I'm just not convinced he's going to win too many headers against the massive meathead defenders we get in this division.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 16
diehardmariner
August 3, 2015, 4:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Based on what I've seen so far in pre-season all of our strikers will be used as target-men but in a different mould to how LJL was.  

Last year with LJL it was often hit it high and just anywhere.  If it's near LJL he'll either flick it on or (more often the case) pressure/bully the defender into making a mistake.  If it goes to a defender with no pressure on them, LJL chase down and will pressure the defender into making a mistake.  

This pre-season a lot of long passes from the back have been at chest or lower height with the intention of Amond, Pittman, Arnold or Bogle bringing it down and under control, often 30-40 yards out from goal, with the intention of laying it off before turning for the forward pass from midfield.

We've also used the wings to much greater effect too.  Obviously how we play will partly be affected by the opposition but I'd like to think we've got enough quality in our squad to break sides down when they do park the bus rather than resort to formation changes and needed to chase games.

For me the key has to be getting at teams early, especially at BP.  If we get an early goal, sides who have come for a point have to change their approach.  The other important factor is getting sides on the ropes and then finishing them off.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 16
rancido
August 3, 2015, 5:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
Quoted from Maringer
Not convinced that Bogle is strong enough in the air to play the 'target man' role. However, he does look strong on the ball so, providing we play the ball into his feet, he could do a decent job in that respect and I reckon he'll win lots of free-kicks a la Akinde.

I'm just not convinced he's going to win too many headers against the massive meathead defenders we get in this division.

That was the point I was trying to make. Long balls down the middle to a " conventional target man " are " bread and meat " to the majority of centre- backs at this level. Once you start playing the ball wide a lot of them get out of their comfort zone and we have he strikers to capitalise on this.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.