2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
oldun
August 3, 2015, 5:09pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from diehardmariner
Based on what I've seen so far in pre-season all of our strikers will be used as target-men but in a different mould to how LJL was.  

Last year with LJL it was often hit it high and just anywhere.  If it's near LJL he'll either flick it on or (more often the case) pressure/bully the defender into making a mistake.  If it goes to a defender with no pressure on them, LJL chase down and will pressure the defender into making a mistake.  

This pre-season a lot of long passes from the back have been at chest or lower height with the intention of Amond, Pittman, Arnold or Bogle bringing it down and under control, often 30-40 yards out from goal, with the intention of laying it off before turning for the forward pass from midfield.

We've also used the wings to much greater effect too.  Obviously how we play will partly be affected by the opposition but I'd like to think we've got enough quality in our squad to break sides down when they do park the bus rather than resort to formation changes and needed to chase games.

For me the key has to be getting at teams early, especially at BP.  If we get an early goal, sides who have come for a point have to change their approach.  The other important factor is getting sides on the ropes and then finishing them off.  

Agree with this, especially about hitting teams early at BP if we get 1 or 2 in front then game over I reckon. Last year a few nothing teams took an early lead against us and then we were finding it difficult to get a breakthrough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 16
TownSNAFU5
August 3, 2015, 5:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
DHM, totally support your last comment.  We were poor last season at getting an early goal  BP.  Especially against the so called lesser teams.  Even if we did score first, we rarely finished teams off.

I think that this season we have the variety, firepower and nous to ruthlessly demolish teams at BP.

Maringer said that Bogle will win many free-kicks like Akinde.  I expect him (or any of our other strikers) to win many penalties, also like Akinde.

I think that we are good enough to put sustained pressure on many teams this season.  If we are patient enough, we should get the wins that we will deserve.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 16
BIGChris
August 3, 2015, 5:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I think that whoever is up front we don't hit the ball to them from the back but hit it into space. If we have one up front when defending a set piece i would expect the oppo to have at least two defenders in situ. That leaves a lot of space to hit any clearances into.
Yes the striker then has to work hard to either get to the clearance or at least close down the defender. I can see us counter attacking very effectively with this squad
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 16
BottesfordMariner
August 3, 2015, 5:48pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
Ultimately we have strikers who can finish. Certainly with Bogle from what i have seen and Amond you do fancy them to put away a chance that falls their way.  And if we play Arnold down the middle when he is through on goal you do feel pretty confident he will finish.

That was something we didnt have last season (and beyond).. not since Hearn was fully fit really.

We have pace in the team and from what i saw in pre-season we are playing football ie getting the ball down and playing with much less hoof ball. There is a place for long ball on occasion but we have too often slipped into this way of playing in the past.

The defence has been solid for the last 2 or 3 years and there is no reason to think that will change but i now feel we have much more going forward and that could be the difference maker this year.

Its not going to be a stroll...we will face a challenge from i expect Tranmere, FGR, Eastleigh, Wrexham...and there is sometimes a dark horse but this is probably our best squad since we came into this league and the aim has to be to be champions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 16
Maringer
August 3, 2015, 6:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
It seems clear that we don't intend to play the same style as last season most of the time so shouldn't be reliant on a big, bustling LJL-alike to put himself about and attempt to cause havoc for the opposition defenders. The extra pace available in the attacking areas will hopefully (as has been noted) make us much more of a threat on the counter-attack. I feel this is an area where we should have been a lot better over the past few years so I'm hoping to see us causing more problems on the counter this year.

My only concern is that we don't really have the option of a target man up front. Let's face it, there are likely to be at least 5 or 6 games at BP this season which are played in a howling gale and quite a few more away matches played in similar conditions. It is all but impossible to play accurate passes in these sort of conditions and having to whack the ball upfield a lot more often than you would prefer seems inevitable.

It would be nice if we were to have the option of another big striker (Bogle isn't exactly lightweight!) to mix things up a bit in this sort of a situation but it remains to be seen what sort of a player Hurst is still looking to sign. I suppose that in such windy conditions, the aerial strength of Monkhouse could prove to be enough of an asset to mean that another 'big' striker wasn't missed too much. However, if Bogle struggles with fitness this season, the present squad doesn't provide us with any other strikers of greater than average height - Amond would be the tallest at just 5'11"!

I do tend to think that Hurst will be looking for a tall-ish striker to be his final signing so hopefully, he can find a capable one for us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 16
rancido
August 3, 2015, 7:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from Maringer
It seems clear that we don't intend to play the same style as last season most of the time so shouldn't be reliant on a big, bustling LJL-alike to put himself about and attempt to cause havoc for the opposition defenders. The extra pace available in the attacking areas will hopefully (as has been noted) make us much more of a threat on the counter-attack. I feel this is an area where we should have been a lot better over the past few years so I'm hoping to see us causing more problems on the counter this year.

My only concern is that we don't really have the option of a target man up front. Let's face it, there are likely to be at least 5 or 6 games at BP this season which are played in a howling gale and quite a few more away matches played in similar conditions. It is all but impossible to play accurate passes in these sort of conditions and having to whack the ball upfield a lot more often than you would prefer seems inevitable.

It would be nice if we were to have the option of another big striker (Bogle isn't exactly lightweight!) to mix things up a bit in this sort of a situation but it remains to be seen what sort of a player Hurst is still looking to sign. I suppose that in such windy conditions, the aerial strength of Monkhouse could prove to be enough of an asset to mean that another 'big' striker wasn't missed too much. However, if Bogle struggles with fitness this season, the present squad doesn't provide us with any other strikers of greater than average height - Amond would be the tallest at just 5'11"!

I do tend to think that Hurst will be looking for a tall-ish striker to be his final signing so hopefully, he can find a capable one for us.

But surely these are the kind of conditions when you need to pass it short and from the back. Route one only really works if you have a strong striker dedicated to that role. I think we are better than that and I think PH that is in PH's planning also judging by the players he has brought in this summer.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 16
Maringer
August 3, 2015, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from rancido

But surely these are the kind of conditions when you need to pass it short and from the back. Route one only really works if you have a strong striker dedicated to that role. I think we are better than that and I think PH that is in PH's planning also judging by the players he has brought in this summer.

Think about some of the big, nasty, up and at 'em teams we face each season. Their entire style of play is to pressurise you into making mistakes and giving them chances to sling the ball into your box, something which is easier for them to achieve in poor conditions.

With the best will in the world, we're a Conference team and, though I'll be happy to see us pass it around more than in recent seasons, I'm not convinced we've got the players to tippy-tappy around the opposition when they are chasing the ball down.

I think the 'Plan B' of a physical presence up front would be useful in these conditions, not to mention in the games where things aren't working out in our regular game. Hopefully, not too many of these, of course!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Plan B"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.