This thread currently has 4,768 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
gtfc82
August 2, 2015, 9:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
I'm as delighted as everyone with how well our preseason has gone. I'm still a bit concerned though when I look at the amount of strikers in our squad, especially as Bogle is still not ready and Pittman is injury prone! I think Hurst should look for another striker either permanently or on loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
BIGChris
August 2, 2015, 9:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from gtfc82
I'm as delighted as everyone with how well our preseason has gone. I'm still a bit concerned though when I look at the amount of strikers in our squad, especially as Bogle is still not ready and Pittman is injury prone! I think Hurst should look for another striker either permanently or on loan.

Which is what he has said he is doing. Nothing on the horizon but once season starts and some find themselves on the bench or out of their squads they become more unsettled and want a move.

Vital we get the right one not anyone
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
aldi_01
August 2, 2015, 9:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Agree with the above, why rush to pick someone up.

By the end of August there will be players who are wanting a move for all manner of reasons and will probably accept better terms for the club, that is the time to do it.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
gtfc82
August 2, 2015, 9:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
Just heard the interview after the Boston game. I'm just hoping we are scoring goals from the first kick off, because our lack of goals at the start of last season was a major factor behind our slow start.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
MeanwoodMariner
August 2, 2015, 10:44am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from gtfc82
Just heard the interview after the Boston game. I'm just hoping we are scoring goals from the first kick off, because our lack of goals at the start of last season was a major factor behind our slow start.

Last year we started upfront with LJL who was yet to hit form, and some bloke pretending to be Alan Connell. This time round we've got Amond on fire and hopefully Bogle (failing that, an inform Arnold) to do the business. You can never guarantee success but we're giving ourselves a better chance this time round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
speedy
August 2, 2015, 11:31am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: +445
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

Last year we started upfront with LJL who was yet to hit form, and some bloke pretending to be Alan Connell. This time round we've got Amond on fire and hopefully Bogle (failing that, an inform Arnold) to do the business. You can never guarantee success but we're giving ourselves a better chance this time round.

Don't forget pitman as of now if everyone was fit i'd start pitman and amond. both on fire
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
cmackenzie4
August 2, 2015, 11:32am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
I don't think we will lack goals this season we have goal scorers all over the pitch.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
Tinymariner
August 2, 2015, 11:37am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I know it's only pre-season but we scored 28 goals in 9 games and one of our strikers got 9 of them. I'm not concerned at all. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
ginnywings
August 2, 2015, 11:47am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
I'm of the opinion that we need a dedicated fourth striker and have said so previously. Pittman's appearance record over the last few seasons suggest he will not be fit for 46 games and therefore we are going into the season with effectively 2.5 recognised strikers.

However, i am a lot more buoyed by the strikers we now have on the books and in Amond, we finally have what i consider to be a proper striker, with good movement and who you would back most times to finish decent chances. LJL for all his attributes was limited in the most important part of the strikers role, namely putting the ball into the back of the net. Bogle and Pittman especially are looking good but i think we also need a big target man type if we need to bombard a team looking for an elusive goal.

It was definitely the strikers that cost us promotion last season IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
grimsby pete
August 2, 2015, 11:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I think we had 9 or 10 strikers when Newell was boss,

Its not the number its the quality,

I would rather have 4 quality strikers than 10 average ones.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lack of strikers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.