Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Sigone
http://www.sportinglife.com/fo.....ew-conference-season

Let himself down a bit though by predicting Brodie for top goalscorer

No it can't be, he's not the 4th striker is he.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 11
Sigone
August 2, 2015, 11:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
For those that cant be bothered to click on the link:-
Top National League Tips

The Vanarama Conference National season ended with Grimsby losing the play-off final on penalties to Bristol Rovers and I’m backing the Mariners to end the first National League campaign by going one better.

Grimsby were in the title race last term almost to the final day but ultimately ended six points behind league winners Barnet before missing out against Rovers under the Wembley arch.

The heartache of falling at the final hurdle has now subsided and there’s every reason to like the Mariners for the season ahead.

Boss Paul Hurst has recruited really well over the summer to add to a squad that has kept hold of its star performers and looks primed to finally return to the Football League.

Omar Bogle is the most eye-catching of the new arrivals. The 22-year-old striker makes the step up from Conference North outfit Solihull Moors but it’s a big surprise to me that Football League clubs didn’t follow up their interest in his signature.

Bogle was signed by Scottish Premiership giants Celtic from Birmingham before moving south again to Solihull and he was one of non-league football’s premier strikers last season with 29 goals.

Andy Monkhouse, Richard Tait, Marcus Marshall, Josh Gowling and Danny East are all solid additions and this is a stronger group of players than the collection that went so close to promotion last time out.

The Mariners have finished in the play-offs for three seasons running with final positions of third-fourth-fourth so there’s no doubt that their pedigree has been proven in this division.

Grimsby fans certainly have faith in their side.

Project Promotion was launched over the summer to raise £20,000 for boss Hurst to boost his squad but the fans smashed that target to contribute £110,000. They definitely believe!

The points required over the last three seasons for the title have been 92, 83 and 94 so its three more wins required from last term’s 86-point tally to get to the highest of those targets.

Grimsby look more than capable of achieving that and I’d much rather have them on my side than relegated Tranmere, who are vying for favouritism with the Mariners at the head of the outright market.

Gary Brabin is a solid managerial appointment for Tranmere but he has a huge job on his hands after Rovers’ appalling efforts in League Two last season.

Tranmere should come good for a top-five finish by the end of the campaign but I don’t think they’ll be Grimsby’s main title challengers.

Eastleigh, who sit third in the betting, are the most likely side to match the Mariners but I’d want a little larger price to back a Spitfires side I think will end up in the play-offs.

Grimsby got the better of Eastleigh 5-1 on aggregate in their play-off semi-final a few months ago and I still reckon there’s a big gap between the sides.

Take the 11/4 for the Mariners to return to the Football League in the promotion betting rather than the 5/1 title price to give yourself a bit more security in this division where only the team finishing top goes up automatically.

You can get 14/1 about Bogle in the top goalscorer betting but I like to go for a longer price in this market and there’s a Conference veteran who catches my eye at big odds.

Followers of last season’s ante-post selections enjoyed a strong return thanks to Barnet’s promotion and also Damian Reeves’ each-way placing in the top scorer list at a pre-season price of 66/1.

Altrincham forward Reeves is less than half the odds this summer at 25/1 so it’s Richard Brodie I’m backing to find some of his old spark at 50/1.

Southport striker Brodie has been around this division for a long time but hasn’t found his best form since leaving York for Crawley in a big-money deal of around £300,000 in the summer of 2010.

The 28-year-old has since taken in spells at Fleetwood, Morecambe, Grimsby, Gateshead, Hereford and Southport after departing Crawley following promotion from the Conference at the end of his debut season.

He bagged 13 goals last term with Southport and should benefit from a rare bit of stability by staying with the Sandgrounders.

Brodie has hit double figures five times during his Conference career – 13 (2014/15 with Southport), 13 (2010/11 with Crawley), 30 (2009/10 with York), 17 (2008/09 with York) and 10 (2007/08 with York) – so the potential is undoubtedly there to get among the top scorers.

He was sensational in his 30-goal 2009/10 campaign as York just missed out on promotion but more importantly last season’s haul is a real step back in the right direction.

Brodie can expect to play every week and I think it’s well worth a little nibble at the 50/1 to get a big-price interest during the months ahead.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
TonySmith
August 3, 2015, 2:23am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +967
Gold Stars: 11
The article doesn't even mention Padraig Amond among the "solid additions," and he might well end up being the most important of the lot! Can't wait to get this season started now!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
DocTower
August 3, 2015, 6:35am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
It's always good to have a surprise under your belt . You don't show all your cards to others yet . As for Brodie , well known in this league,  on his day very good , so he might have a swan song , so unpredictable.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
LondonMariner43
August 3, 2015, 8:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,941
Gold Stars: 64
The Metro is tipping Forest Green for promotion.  They say Town may not have got over their Wembley defeat - obviously a totally ignorant comment
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
wycombemariner
August 3, 2015, 9:16am
UTM
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: -56
Quoted from LondonMariner43
The Metro is tipping Forest Green for promotion.  They say Town may not have got over their Wembley defeat - obviously a totally ignorant comment

Lazy southern w@nkers  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
AdamHaddock
August 3, 2015, 11:04am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,824
Gold Stars: 26
The tipster in the Metro is tipping FGR, saying "Grimsby may not have recovered from losing a penalty shoot out to Bristol Rovers in last season's play off final"  

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
Tinymariner
August 3, 2015, 11:29am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
What Penalty Shootout?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
mariner tommy
August 3, 2015, 2:10pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Tinymariner
What Penalty Shootout?  

Eh ?
You've got a short memory

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sporting Life tips town for top spot

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.