17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 12:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I think the point is more a case that LJL (and Hannah) absolutely worked their socks off when playing up front, undoubtedly to the detriment of their attacking play.

Though not exactly shirkers, I don't think you could ever accuse Amond and Bogle of running their socks off, at least not in the games that I've seen.

When you add in the fact that Arnold and Mackreth tended to be deployed quite defensively last season and have been playing further forward this year, it's no surprise that we don't look as compact at the back. That said, most of the goals we have conceded have been really soft and should have been stopped.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 169
TownSNAFU5
September 2, 2015, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Many/most goals conceded this season were the result of "avoidable errors".  

The trick is to avoid making the same errors in the future. Surely we can do this?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 169
essexexile
September 2, 2015, 1:11pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +185
Gold Stars: 1
We have to cos I reckon words got round we've got a flappy keeper and a back line that can't defend far post crosses
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 169
SamTheMariner
September 2, 2015, 1:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
Quoted from Abdul19

It wasn't in our hands; the closest we got was a point behind (effectively 2 with the gd) with 5 games to go.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31997206

If we'd won at Chester it would have been in our hands at that point.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 169
Mariner_09
September 2, 2015, 1:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from Maringer
I think the point is more a case that LJL (and Hannah) absolutely worked their socks off when playing up front, undoubtedly to the detriment of their attacking play.

Though not exactly shirkers, I don't think you could ever accuse Amond and Bogle of running their socks off, at least not in the games that I've seen.

When you add in the fact that Arnold and Mackreth tended to be deployed quite defensively last season and have been playing further forward this year, it's no surprise that we don't look as compact at the back. That said, most of the goals we have conceded have been really soft and should have been stopped.

Hannah wasn't good enough for a promotion chasing side IMO but Lenny was, and I'd disagree about Bogle and Amond, Bogle closes the play down well and Amond makes very intelligent runs creating space for others.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 169
arryarryarry
September 2, 2015, 1:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,946
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from SamTheMariner

And we know who to blame for that

Private Message
Reply: 145 - 169
MuddyWaters
September 2, 2015, 1:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from arryarryarry

And we know who to blame for that

Would that be Danny Parslow or the bloke that put him on?  
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 169
Abdul19
September 2, 2015, 1:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from SamTheMariner

So if we'd won at Chester it would've been in our hands 2 weeks later if the subsequent results had gone the same way?

Any team can pick out games they should've won (and we had enough of them!) What if Barnet hadn't have drawn at Alfreton? What if Telford had won 25 more games?!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 169
ska face
September 2, 2015, 1:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,342
Gold Stars: 824
Quoted from Mariner_09

Hannah wasn't good enough for a promotion chasing side IMO but Lenny was, and I'd disagree about Bogle and Amond, Bogle closes the play down well and Amond makes very intelligent runs creating space for others.

Aye.

Bogle seemed largely ineffectual on Saturday because of a complete lack of support from midfield. Bogle's being played as an outlet, getting the ball with his back to goal, mainly laying it off, or turning on the rare occasion he gets some space. This worked well at the start of the season as support was there from the midfield two and the wingers, and the passing was sharp and accurate.

On Saturday, balls were getting pinged into him at chest height or 3-4 yards wide of where he's stood, he had a defender up his bottom every single time and nobody else wanted to know. The midfield two were happy to just potter about in front of our back 4, Marshall was stuck out on the bye-line and Mackreth offered frig all.

It's easy to defend against that & I hope its addressed before Bogle gets all his potential ground of him and turned into LJL MKII.
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 169
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 1:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from Mariner_09

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Bogle and Amond are lazy players (Amond's movement in particular is excellent when he's playing at his best). I just don't think they are as ridiculously energetic in chasing down the ball as LJL and Hannah. Bogle appears to have a habit of losing concentration from time to time leading to the defenders nipping in and winning balls that they shouldn't but if he can work on that he's got a lot more potential to develop as a striker. I'd like to see him challenging defenders for aerial balls a bit better as well. You don't necessarily need to win too many of the headers, just make sure the defender can't get in a good clearance. Without actually being seen to foul them, obviously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 169
17 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Time for a change now to save this season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.