3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Corkyefes
September 1, 2015, 10:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: -117
Gold Stars: 7
Didn't bother coming on here yesterday after the game because I knew there would be some very angry fans.

Yesterday was a case of bad finishing and poor final balls.
I generally don't think we played that bad, however it was just them two things that cost us the game, in my opinion.

We could play Macclesfield ten times this season and probably beat them in 8.

The Team

I can see why Hurst made the changes yesterday and I don't blame him for making them.
Disley and Monkhouse were replaced, as the guys are the wrong side of 30 and had played 60 minutes against 11.

Arnold was replaced because the lad worked his socks off aswell on Saturday and probably needed the break.

I was disappointed with Mackreth yesterday.
Numerous of times the lad got himself into great positions or he beat his man, but his final ball was dire.
A couple of better balls would of won us the game in my opinion, and his performance yesterday showed me why he is probably at the level he his.

He reminded me of a poor mans Aaron Lennon, lots of energy and can generally beat a man, but his final delivery is always lacking.

I also have to give abit of stick to Bogle yesterday.
For a guy who is six foot odd, he needs to be winning more headers than he is doing.

I personally think he needs to be abit tougher aswell and to try hold the ball better.

He seemed to be getting abit of a hard time against their centre backs yesterday and struggled with it.
The same when we played Torquay.... The guy just needs to be more aggressive.

The Manager

Would I get rid of him? ..... No, not yet.

I think we have to give the guy at least 15 games before we make any decisions.
If we are mid table after 15, then yes, we probably should be looking at it.

The thing that frustrates me with Hurst is his lack of motivation from the sidelines.
Don't get me wrong, not all managers are shouters, but you even get a little bit of passion with them aswell (someone like Arsene Wenger), but with Hurst, nothing.

I think, like Bogle, he needs to toughen up abit... Start getting at the players when its not working or they are looking out of sorts.

Do we need any more players, potentially yes.

The Season

Despite operation promotion, I never expected us to win the league, however I would of liked us to be challenging for the title.

I always thought the playoffs should be our minimum achievement, however it is disappointing to see that we could possibly already be out of the title race with 7 games gone.

Now people are saying, but there's plenty of time and Mansfield did this, etc, etc.
Yes, I appreciate that, but a 12 point gap is still big at this point of the season.

Put it this way, I would rather be in Forest Greens position than ours at the minute.

We ARE already playing catch up, which is disappointing so early in the seasons.

Lets see where we are at the middle / end of October.
If we are not sat in a play off position by then, then Fenty will have a big decision to make.

Hopefully we are back on track on Saturday.

UTM.
Private Message
grimps
September 1, 2015, 10:55am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,102
Gold Stars: 46
So basically give him more time after having four and a half years ?
What we thinking 6 years ? Ten years ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 26
Sigone
September 1, 2015, 10:57am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
If you read his post he says 15 games
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 26
grimsby pete
September 1, 2015, 10:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from grimps
So basically give him more time after having four and a half years ?
What we thinking 6 years ? Ten years ?

No,   6 games or ten games .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 26
Garth
September 1, 2015, 11:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Your opinion is as relevant as any on here but I have to disagree about giving the manager so much time to turn it around
A leopard never changes his spots and his attitudes and tactics have remained the same during the last four years, he won't change because he genuinely believes in them
It's not about him or the players though the bigger picture is the club the size of the support and its future under his tenure,and your middle of the road approach will not bring back the dwindling support
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 26
jonnyboy82
September 1, 2015, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
He is probably still in a job because he is computer literate.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 26
pontoonlew
September 1, 2015, 11:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 171
It'll go the same as every other year if we don't act very quickly. We'll wait til November, hit some decent form and believe the bloke has changed. January comes he'll rotate yet again, ruin our chances at the league but claim a change now will be daft. We'll hit some decent form, make the play offs and cross our bloody fingers again.

I'm flipping sick of Hurst ruining seasons by November with his shite ideology of changing the side, to keep doing it so stubbornly is absolutely inexcusable and for my mind he has to go. More so this year because we do have a good squad and Ive finally had enough of the bloke flipping things up.

My favourite quote from his post match 'It's easy for fans to say changes weren't right after the game is lost'

No Paul, we all bemoaned your stupid rotation policy before that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 26
devs
September 1, 2015, 11:40am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
Buckley on RH yesterday before the game said (in so many words) he always had his best 11 in his mind from day one; he did a head count after a hard game; and however many of those XI were fit they'd play every week
He also said you get 'trends and fashions' in footy and it has almost become a buzzword that a manager rotates

It is almost like Hurst overcomplicates things...I could not see how you would drop all three of Disley, Monkhouse and Arnold.

Strong squads (on paper!) are all well and good but surely PH must think "I better use this lot otherwise what's the point of bringing them in" rather than "we played bloody well v Lincoln with 10 men so let's go again"

Danny East - another case in point. He is young, looks as fit as a fiddle, and has played really well last 2 games; surely he can play another game?

I'm not necessarily a Hurst basher - I think he has many good qualities and judging by the way the team fought on Saturday the players are united and behind him - but please stop tinkering.

Having said all that for 43 minutes we dominated the game, played some good stuff and never looked troubled; had we scored blah blah blah
But if you are wasteful one end of pitch and careless at the other it undermines everything and you cannot win matches

Still behind Hurst but he knows/we know it can;t go on much longer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 26
cmackenzie4
September 1, 2015, 11:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quote "changes are not to blame" well I'd like to know what is to blame then, if pro's are tired after just 6 games something's not right!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 26
grimsby pete
September 1, 2015, 12:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Quote "changes are not to blame" well I'd like to know what is to blame then, if pro's are tired after just 6 games something's not right!

You tell a player he is tired and he will start feeling tired,

Hurst should be putting only positive thoughts in the players heads,

Not all the negatives he comes out with.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 26
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Team, The Manager, The Season

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.