Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Come on..
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 262 Guests

Come on..

This thread currently has 3,969 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
sydney
September 1, 2015, 10:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
I have had my reflective 24 hrs now after latest poor performance
Will support GTFC forever (as the song goes) as I have done for 45 years plus
But really did believe this year was our year and the return to that familiar disappointed feeling is very difficult to bear
I like PH but as difficult as this is to admit it's time for a change
I see nothing been any different this year to the last few of under achievement with him still there
Feel bad as am a believer in consistently but had to post my feelings
Don't even have a name to bring in, sorry....
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 1, 2015, 10:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Vance Warner

Best replace a manager with a track record of getting us in the playoffs and take a gamble on someone else then. While we're at it we'd better buy him a new squad and pay off the players he doesn't fancy. That will help the club's finances. FFS

In theory your point sounds sensible. I was of much the same opinion during last season, is it better the devil you know. Now I am not at all sure. The season is hardly begun and the manager does not seem to have learned lessons from last year when his success was built on using basically the same side for each game unless forced to change through injury & suspension. Particularly this was true of the defence. A consistently mean back 5 needs that back 5 to develop a good understanding.

My answer to those who say Newport were 10 points up or FGR will lose some games is simple - which position would we rather be in? Mid table dropping down or up top and looking down?

What put me off joining the call for Hurst's head previously was simple realism. Who else could we get? And would Fenty sack Hurst anyway? The sacking is actually the biggest stumbling block because Fenty will not act until it's too late either out of misguided loyalty to Hurst or misguided reading of the league situation. He will be persuaded that the poor run can be turned round given time. Unfortunately the longer he takes, plus the time needed to find someone else, means that a new manager's chance of success is reduced. We then end up in the mess you mention about getting a new squad probably next summer.

The reality is this. Even if Fenty bit the bullet this week and waved bye bye to Hurst, we would be unlikely to get a new manager in before mid-October. Even that would be too late in my opinion if we want to win the league. It would be a crawl into the play off lottery again at best. In the meantime what would happen? Doig would be caretaker and the arguments would start about whether he should get the job which could push things back even further.

It is a bit of a minefield and in the past I've been of the opinion that we might as well avoid it especially after Operation Promotion promised so much. But it seems to me that the Tondeur interview shows Hurst has effectively said to the supporters - thanks very much for the money, here's Bogle, now I will do exactly what I want with the side and you lot keep your opinions to yourselves because you know naff all about football.

That's why my mind has been changed. The manager is simply not good enough at team building, team selection or team tactics. Getting sides into the play offs is an achievement of sorts, getting sides promoted is the real measure of success.

My final nail would be that Hurst still doesn't appreciate how much the club means to its supporters and he can't be very bright if that hasn't dawned on him after all the time he's had here.

Sorry for the verbal diarrhoea, I'll shut up for a bit now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
Maringer
September 1, 2015, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,411
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from ginnywings

I do feel that FGR have a bit of a Crawley and Fleetwood type feel to them though. They are paying big bucks and if managed properly, they shouldn't slip up.

Surprised to see that Parkin hasn't played in many games yet this season yet they've still won them all (albeit narrowly). Last year, pretty much everything about their game went through him so they've obviously got some more strings to their bows this season. A pity, as a team mostly reliant on one player is always vulnerable, though Barnet got away with it last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Come on..

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.