This thread currently has 1,306 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
AlanPoutonsTackle
September 1, 2015, 1:16pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +57
Not posted on here for a while as I got shouted down for suggesting that things could go sour regarding Operation Promotion. Yet here we are and a large number are already  venting some anger so here goes.
I didn't put into Operation Promotion and totally applaud those that did but heres my reason.
Luton Town had a 2 million pound budget each year to get out of this league. This was of no value until the right man came along in John Still. Just think they had now 9 million pound man Andre Gray and couldn't do it. Refer to my old posts but good or bad I've always insisted that Hurst is not the right man to do what we need and another £100, 000 in the transfer budget doesn't change that for me.
Our football last season to the most part was poor. We somehow got into the play offs but at Wembley the inability to create chances and the ease at which both defences to be fair mastered the game showed the reason that neither ourselves or Bristol Rovers went up automatically.
PH has on his own and with Rob Scott either struggled with formation or to decide their best 11 at the start of every season. if we pick up now from what has been a pretty easy start opponent wise compared to some, were allowing a team at the top to romp away like Barnet did and leaves us little chance of catching up. We should have started with the team identified from pre season and for the first 10 games gone with it with minor tweaks if really necessary. Football is a team game and successful teams have little tinkering from the general starting 11. save drop in form suspension and injury. How many including Pearson have been dropped for possibly one poor game. That was Hurst looking for an excuse to choose 2 from 3 centre backs. You have one average game and your out. The truth is he wants all three to play but struggles to do it then flips NSaila to right back. Doesn't work in one game changes again Blah Blah.
We need a proper manager in to guide us hopefully to a play off place and to get out of this league. Im not sure who but someone who knows his way about football. A John Still type.
This isn't  Hurst must go because we've had a poor start thread. This is Paul Hurst must go because he's never really been the right man thread . Not the worst manager we've ever had but not the one to get us where we need to be.
I believe we have the right players. We must get off McKeown's back again its the manager. McKeown was very ill recently and is playing poorly. Surely he needs to come out then its not rocket science. he hasn't just become a poor keeper.
Hurst has got by on the fact he can identify a player. Usually on the basis that same has at some point been part of a squad that got promoted from this league which isn't really a recruitment strategy because we never get the best from those sides because they remain in league 2. We need a man manager, a tactician, a proper football manager. And that man will be worth a lot more than £100, 000 to GTFC. And wont need a penny more.

"With a minute to go Buckley said keep it in the corner, I thought he meant the top corner." - Jim Dobbin
Private Message
blasty
September 1, 2015, 1:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +227
Excellently put, valid reasoned arguments and none of the bluster and aggression associated with many posts (from both sides of the fence) and exactly the kind of post this site should be about.

Not sure how long before the thread descends into an argument and mud slinging.

Agree in most parts with what you say but Im not convinced there is the calibre of manager available now that we are looking for. There certtainly was end of last season/pre season if we had made the call.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
HertsGTFC
September 1, 2015, 1:38pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Good post........... Though they may divide opinion look at the managers of the winners of this league for the last 2 seasons John Still and Martin Allen. Though you have to take into account PH lacks experience and that is not his fault there is a world of difference.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
Heisenberg
September 1, 2015, 2:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,037
Gold Stars: 93
I'm hoping that Hurst pulls this around, I really want him to succeed, but the original post from this thread is very well thought out, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
devs
September 1, 2015, 3:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 30
excellent, well argued post
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
Maringer
September 1, 2015, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,490
Gold Stars: 185
Regarding the original post saying we "somehow got into the play-offs".

The somehow was by finishing third in the table, 8 points ahead of the 6th placed team. We then comprehensively beat the 4th placed team to reach the final. This wasn't by chance, it was through good results and these didn't come by chance, either.

I don't think we were a great team last season, but we were pretty solid and found some good form which is what is required to get out of this division.

Unfortunately, we've lost that solidity this season, mostly through individual errors at the back, it must be said. If we can become a bit more miserly at the back (and we certainly have the defensive players to achieve this), I'd expect us back in the play-off spots by the end of the season, which is where our budget ought to place us.

Whether or not this will be under the management of Hurst or A.N. Other remains to be seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reality check

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.