lew chaterleys lover
September 1, 2015, 9:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 935

Oh... Yeah great plan, drop him and damage his confidence even more, then in four weeks time pop him back in the firing line, wait for him to make a mistake and get on his back again... Is this  straight out of the book on good man management??

Oh for goodness sake this is professional football - its not a nicey nicey management course for beginners.

He will expect to be dropped if his form has dipped - that's the way it works.

And by the way - Town fans are no different to every other set of fans in the country. The team wins and all is well. They lose, and the sky falls in.

We the fans have taken a lot of disappointment on the chin and are, in general, a model on how to remain loyal in the most difficult of circumstances.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 9:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 935
Ok Ginny what difference did graham Rodger, stu Watkiss, Alan Buckley, stu Watkiss, mike newell and Neil woods make??

That's six managers, in 9 years.... That's what you call evidence, and it seems to be fairly unfavourable to your argument.

Your reply will probably be...
But then it shouldn't be John Fenty choosing them, cos it's all his fault...

Mind reader too are you?

I've already said it would be naive to think finding a better manager is easy, it isn't but clubs do it all the time at every level of football. They don't all get it wrong every time. It's not down to me if and when we appoint a new manager but we will eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
ackomariner
September 1, 2015, 9:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from 935

Oh... Yeah great plan, drop him and damage his confidence even more, then in four weeks time pop him back in the firing line, wait for him to make a mistake and get on his back again... Is this  straight out of the book on good man management??

Why not, that's what he done to loads of players whilst he's been the manager.
That's one thing he is good at.....shattering confidence of players

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 9:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 935

Also you could have heard a pin drop at the ground on Monday it was that quiet... Also how can you call yourself a supporter of a club and then create a them and us!!! That's a bit wierd

I call myself a supporter because i am. I obviously don't meet your criteria of what a supporter should be but then you assume that people such as myself are causing a negative and divisive atmosphere around BP. I never boo the players or manager and never get on their backs. I put across my viewpoint on here which is what a forum is for, is it not?

I've said this many times before and i'll say it again for the hard of understanding. Criticism is not necessarily negative, it doesn't mean i don't love the club, it doesn't mean i'm not a supporter and i'm not jumping on some bandwagon. I have never thought Hurst is quite up to the job and have been saying ever since Scott went that we should have had a change then. We decided he should stay, so he got my support. I said after the play off final that he deserved another go but he just can't get it right, so i think now his position needs to be seriously looked at. If you are happy with Hurst in charge ,then fine but don't start questioning the validity of others support for the club because their views don't align with your own.

After watching 95% of home games for 43 seasons and being a regular away traveller in the past, you sort of get a feel for a manager and Hurst has never felt quite right to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
marinerjase
September 1, 2015, 10:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Always makes me laugh when people question peoples  support. Who is anyone to question any other? Egotistical. Im a bigger fan than you etc etc.

Rubbish.

We're all supporters - regardless of differing views

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
barralad
September 1, 2015, 10:11pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from marinerjase
Always makes me laugh when people question peoples  support. Who is anyone to question any other? Egotistical. Im a bigger fan than you etc etc.

Rubbish.

I agree with this 100%

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
ackomariner
September 1, 2015, 10:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Quoted from marinerjase

Rubbish.

Exactly

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
moosey_club
September 1, 2015, 10:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
Some people have short memories.

McKeown has been one of Town's best performers since he arrived and widely regarded as the best 'keeper in the league during that time. He has rescued many points for Town over the last few years.

Is he perfect?......no....does he have flaws?...of course he has. He has made a couple of errors that have resulted in goals I'm not sure if that's connected to his illness over the summer or if he is just out of sorts at  the moment. I think he would agree himself that he has not been at his best so far....but i think its a bit premature to write him off and demand a replacement. You dont suddenly go from being a good player to a bad one overnight.

I think what he has given to this club and his loyalty to the club deserves a bit more loyalty from the fans right now.

Whether the club should have another capable 'keeper on the books to challenge Macca is another question i suppose

If a centre half fcked up four or five times and cost goals he would be out, no question, if a striker goes four or five games without threatening he would be out....so why not the keeper?
If you are out of sorts you are out of sorts, position, history, past form doesnt and shouldnt count for anything, its what you are doing in the current and he looks shakey all round currently.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Maringer
September 2, 2015, 12:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
I do think we're almost at the stage where it might be a good idea to drop McKeown for a week or two, just to take him out of the firing line. His pre-season was ruined by the illness so a couple of weeks training hard without the pressure of games might do him some good.

I suppose a lot depends on his personality. Being dropped during a run of bad form might help some keepers but destroy the confidence of others.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
gaz57
September 2, 2015, 12:43am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +993
Quoted from Maringer
I do think we're almost at the stage where it might be a good idea to drop McKeown for a week or two, just to take him out of the firing line. His pre-season was ruined by the illness so a couple of weeks training hard without the pressure of games might do him some good.

I suppose a lot depends on his personality. Being dropped during a run of bad form might help some keepers but destroy the confidence of others.

More than anything he needs a dam good rest mentally and physically after his illness and if his boss can't see that he owes him that, then there is no hope for anyone. We have a keeper who has done well for our club and he deserves our help and support. He is an employee of a business and if his boss does not do the right thing by him the board should take it out of his hands,.For goodness sake Mr Hurst stand up to your responsibility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New keeper

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.