3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
September 1, 2015, 10:33pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
I've been out all day and come in hoping to see a thread discussing the Macclesfield game highlights. There isn't one but having seen them through twice now both Bogle and Amond should be thanking Macca for taking the flak for yesterday's result away from them.  I sit in the Pontoon and haven't got the best eyesight in Grimsby but I was shocked at how inept the front pair were-particularly Bogle. Town could and should have been three up before the macca howler.
The other thing that struck me was how much Robinson was involved in everything we did right in the first half. Some of his passing was excellent and he linked up well with Mackreth. As I said on the Just Back thread I'm far from being Jack's biggest fan but those who say there was no end product yesterday (in the way of crosses) are just plain wrong. I counted at least three including the one which appeared to be going straight to the keeper but found Pearson's head nearly resulting in a goal-something Roly commented on in his coverage. Football is a team game and clearly something happened to the team spirit after the first goal as there was none of the energy of the first half on display in the second.
Given the evidence of the extended highlights I'm even more sure than I was yesterday that the changes had little or no bearing on the game. I doubt anyone would have queried the selection of Bogle and Amond. Macca is at the moment unassailable yet those three positions were the ones found most wanting.
Strange really..
Onward and upward-Borehamwood here we come.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
September 1, 2015, 10:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I thought Robinson was really good first half but have been shot down many times for saying so. There's a player in there, no doubt in my mind.

The Amond one in the first half was the killer. Went for power when he should have passed it into the net. Had that gone in.............................

I'll watch the highlights later in the week when i'm more level headed about things.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 23
arryarryarry
September 1, 2015, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from barralad
I've been out all day and come in hoping to see a thread discussing the Macclesfield game highlights. There isn't one but having seen them through twice now both Bogle and Amond should be thanking Macca for taking the flak for yesterday's result away from them.  I sit in the Pontoon and haven't got the best eyesight in Grimsby but I was shocked at how inept the front pair were-particularly Bogle. Town could and should have been three up before the macca howler.
The other thing that struck me was how much Robinson was involved in everything we did right in the first half. Some of his passing was excellent and he linked up well with Mackreth. As I said on the Just Back thread I'm far from being Jack's biggest fan but those who say there was no end product yesterday (in the way of crosses) are just plain wrong. I counted at least three including the one which appeared to be going straight to the keeper but found Pearson's head nearly resulting in a goal-something Roly commented on in his coverage. Football is a team game and clearly something happened to the team spirit after the first goal as there was none of the energy of the first half on display in the second.
Given the evidence of the extended highlights I'm even more sure than I was yesterday that the changes had little or no bearing on the game. I doubt anyone would have queried the selection of Bogle and Amond. Macca is at the moment unassailable yet those three positions were the ones found most wanting.
Strange really..
Onward and upward-Borehamwood here we come.

Frigging hell, it's not only your eyesight that needs seeing to but your hearing, Roly Godfrey hasn't commentated on a Town match for years, ever since the club p!ssed him off.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
Marinerz93
September 1, 2015, 11:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Let it go Barra, we fell in a barrel of mammaries and came out sucking our thumbs and no matter how much you roll around the barbers floor that hair will not take  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
biggles9999
September 2, 2015, 8:16am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
I thought something similar,  in the first half it looked like only a matter of time before we got the breakthrough.

Bogle slipped when it looked like he was tapping into a empty net, Amond shouldve done far far better with the chance when Bogle rolled it back to him too. I wonder if he is a little bit off confidence and therefore went for power instead of rolling it home. Mackreth had the beating of their left back for most of the half too and put some decent crosses over.

But the timing of the goal was key to my mind. It deflated us just before half time and gave them the opportunity to reshape at half time to become even more defensive.

The second half however was an disgusting, there seemed to be no fight and passion, or game intelligence.

I have lost count of the amount of times we go 1 down and then insist on virtually every player standing in their box waiting for the high ball to come in, that we inevitably lose to their 6'4'' centre backs. We dont remain patient and attempt to draw their opposition out a little to open up the space, something which I believe our strikers thrive on rather than battling against bruisers.

Having said that we managed to work two free headers yesterday (Amond and Pittman?) and both ended up as shots off target which is exceptionally poor, even at this standard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
grimsby pete
September 2, 2015, 8:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I watched the highlights and if we had won 4-1,

I don't think Macclesfield could have complained.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
ackomariner
September 2, 2015, 9:56am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from grimsby pete
I watched the highlights and if we had won 4-1,

I don't think Macclesfield could have complained.

Yeah, but we didn't.... That's the difference Pete

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
grimsby pete
September 2, 2015, 10:00am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from ackomariner

Yeah, but we didn't.... That's the difference Pete

Agree we have two problems,

1.  We look like conceding goals all the time,

2,  We are not taking our chances at the other end,

Having said that we have scored plenty but the 1st goal of the game is the most important,

We have to make sure its us that scores it then we will not be dropping silly points all the time.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
HertsGTFC
September 2, 2015, 10:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,646
Gold Stars: 217
Re the strikers same story versus Lincoln TBH............ Across both games opportunities missed when others who where in space could have just slotted them away. Re Monday lets not forget the one Marshall blasted over in the first half when it looked like he had an open goal.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
SamTheMariner
September 2, 2015, 12:03pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: -101
We don't look like conceding goals, 6 of our 11 goals conceded have been individual mistakes, whether it be players or officials.

[img]http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/images/localworld/ugc-images/275785/Article/images/18946866/4836403.jpg[/img]

Diz, a leader, a goal scorer, a true pro

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MACCLESFIELD HIGHLIGHTS

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.