3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
buckstown
September 3, 2015, 3:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I might be slightly wrong in the minute detail but having looked at the FGR website I estimate they've used 14 players in their starting line ups this season. 9 appear to have started every game.
We've used 16 I think and only 3 (mcK, Bogle and Toto) have started every game.
I'm a big PH supporter and maybe FGR are going to fall apart physically in the near future. However, I can't help thinking you should find your best side and play them. Winning is very good for the physical state and I'm sure they could ply twice a week all season if successful
Logged Offline
Private Message
GrimRob
September 3, 2015, 3:16pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
On the other hand they have won most games so getting a settled winning side is a bit of chicken and egg thing.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 21
Les Brechin
September 3, 2015, 3:23pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from buckstown
I might be slightly wrong in the minute detail but having looked at the FGR website I estimate they've used 14 players in their starting line ups this season. 9 appear to have started every game.
I'm a big PH supporter and maybe FGR are going to fall apart physically in the near future. However, I can't help thinking you should find your best side and play them. Winning is very good for the physical state and I'm sure they could ply twice a week all season if successful

Toto didn't start at Lincoln. Only McKeown and Bogle have started every game.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
Marinerz93
September 3, 2015, 3:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
When you have every faith in your team, the majority of the team picks itself. A manager only needs to make a couple of changes to fine tune his team when required tactically.  Wholesale changes mean lack of confidence in his team.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
MuddyWaters
September 3, 2015, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Marinerz93
When you have very faith in your team, the majority of the team picks itself. A manager only needs to make a couple of changes to fine tune his team when required tactically.  Wholesale changes mean lack of confidence in his team.

Which pretty much is what Mr Buckley said on the radio BEFORE Monday's game.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Grim74
September 3, 2015, 4:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from Les Brechin

Toto didn't start at Lincoln. Only McKeown and Bogle have started every game.

Bogle is the new Lewis,he can play excrement all he wants and still be the second name on the team sheet.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Grim74
September 3, 2015, 4:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +16 / -13
Approval: -1,909
Quoted from buckstown

We was posting on here all last season about keeping a winning team but Hurst is stubborn that's why next week Robinson will be no. 3 on the team sheet.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Promise a man someone else's fish and he votes Labour.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
LH
September 3, 2015, 4:58pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Just looking back at last season's opening 7 games makes Hurst's selections this even more confusing. We played 17 different players in the first seven last season (we had a few injuries and suspensions). In those seven we had 5 different starting line ups.

Most confusing of all though we had an unchanged starting XI for the BHM game at home to Alfreton. Apparently only a year ago players didn't get tired after playing well (6-1 away at Gateshead (so not forgetting a long old journey there and back too)) in a game 48hr hours earlier. That side played again the next week away at Aldershot.

In those seven games we had 4 ever-presents; McKeown, Magnay, Brown and McLaughlin.

This season 16 players is correct as the OP states. We have played 5 different line-ups and have been unchanged in three consecutive games (Barrow, Bromley and Altrincham (coincidentally(?) the same result  sequence as the three unchanged games last season; WWL,)).

When we hit our best form last season in Feb and March last season we used only 13 and 14 different starters respectively.

Source: soccerbase
Calculations: possibly wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
RichMariner
September 3, 2015, 5:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I think Hurst is preoccupied by making sure everyone is fit, happy and interested. While that's commendable, it's not the ruthlessness that other managers have.

Also, we don't know what he said to them, or what he promised, when he enticed them to sign (or re-sign) with us in the summer.

He might have promised certain players a certain number of starts, or general promises like 'if you're fit, you'll play' which he'll have to stand by to avoid players becoming disillusioned and disinterested.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
diehardmariner
September 3, 2015, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,544
Gold Stars: 537
Quoted from RichMariner
I think Hurst is preoccupied by making sure everyone is fit, happy and interested. While that's commendable, it's not the ruthlessness that other managers have.

Also, we don't know what he said to them, or what he promised, when he enticed them to sign (or re-sign) with us in the summer.

He might have promised certain players a certain number of starts, or general promises like 'if you're fit, you'll play' which he'll have to stand by to avoid players becoming disillusioned and disinterested.

That's exactly how I see it.  The problem is we've arguably got too many players who are good enough for a starting eleven.

Last season, for large parts, the first eleven selected itself.  This time around we've got competition in virtually every position.  Which is great, don't get me wrong.  Keeping everyone happy must be a nightmare though.  The massive clubs like Manchester City and Chelsea can afford this as they've billions of European games to rotate in.   Sorry Raheem, you're not playing this week because I'm saving you for Dortmund away.   Not quite the same when you're rested to play Coalville away in the FA Trophy.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Tinkering v consistency

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.