cmackenzie4
September 23, 2015, 6:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Looks like someone has messed up ..

I am looking at buying a Golf in January for my commute to work, I was looking forward to paying less car tax (due to low emissions) but looks like that's out the window now.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
September 23, 2015, 6:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Would be really surprised if this doesn't end up involving other manufacturers as well. At the moment I wonder if it could actually do for VW eventually as ludicrous as that sounds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 15
grimsby pete
September 23, 2015, 7:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Its no difference to the MPG figures,

If it states a car  can do 70 mpg ,

You will be lucky to get more than 45 mpg,

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 15
Maringer
September 23, 2015, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
It isn't the CO2, either, so it shouldn't really be any difference to road tax rates. It's the NOx (Nitric Oxide & Nitrogen Dioxide) emissions which they were fiddling as these are really stringent in the US. Not so much over here where CO2 is considered the be-all and end-all of pollution, even though the NOx is nastier shite which can cause breathing problems.

Probably won't make too much of a difference to anything in this country, but the class-action suits in the US (in addition to fines) will cost VW a pretty penny. I think they're still the biggest car manufacturer in the world so their future shouldn't be in doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 15
FishOutOfWater
September 24, 2015, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Maringer
It isn't the CO2, either, so it shouldn't really be any difference to road tax rates. It's the NOx (Nitric Oxide & Nitrogen Dioxide) emissions which they were fiddling as these are really stringent in the US. Not so much over here where CO2 is considered the be-all and end-all of pollution, even though the NOx is nastier shite which can cause breathing problems.

Probably won't make too much of a difference to anything in this country, but the class-action suits in the US (in addition to fines) will cost VW a pretty penny. I think they're still the biggest car manufacturer in the world so their future shouldn't be in doubt.

Hopefully this affair can be put to rights....I've got a VW pension waiting for me for when I get to retire. Be just my luck to see it all go up in smoke!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 15
grimsby pete
September 24, 2015, 1:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Maybe we will be able to buy a VW a bit cheaper now,

They say this will effect the retail price of used cars,

So the price of a new one should come down as well,

Bad news for any VW workers though,

It might effect their pension, sorry Tim

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 15
FishOutOfWater
September 24, 2015, 2:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
Maybe we will be able to buy a VW a bit cheaper now,

They say this will effect the retail price of used cars,

So the price of a new one should come down as well,

Bad news for any VW workers though,

It might effect their pension, sorry Tim

Been a while since I worked for them Pete...but the pension pot that I had always been told had been well managed might now take a battering if the company get hit by law suits left right and centre.

Might turn out to be the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - you've seen it from afar but you'll never get to hold it  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 15
Maringer
September 24, 2015, 2:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm far from an expert, but the pension pot ought to be entirely separate to the company's finances, shouldn't it? You just need to hope that the engineers who fiddled the software for the emissions weren't also the ones running the pension scheme or their reports of the returns might not be so accurate!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 15
Maringer
September 24, 2015, 4:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Oh dear. Sounds as though they were on the fiddle in the various European emissions tests as well.

I wonder how many other car manufacturers will be caught out?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 15
FishOutOfWater
September 24, 2015, 5:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I'm far from an expert, but the pension pot ought to be entirely separate to the company's finances, shouldn't it? You just need to hope that the engineers who fiddled the software for the emissions weren't also the ones running the pension scheme or their reports of the returns might not be so accurate!

Another VW related scandal that might not be so well known...

Back in the 80s / early 90s there was some financial skulduggery going on where their Finance Director was siphoning off money from the company by somehow diverting payments to VW into his own account, sitting on the cash for a period of time and then forwarding it to VW at a later date

He didn't actually take anything from them, just delayed them getting their money when they should have had it...somehow he must have got wind that they had rumbled him and he took off, never to be seen again as far as we were aware, but in the time he was carrying out his delaying tactics he made himself a fortune

I wouldn't be surprised what turns up from this latest aberration...when I worked there, they poached a guy from GM (Lopez) who brought with him a new purchasing philosophy that was going to save the company megabucks driving down supply costs but what this new recruit brought in, along with his "intellectual property", ie his ideas, were a few secret files from GM that VW used to their competitive advantage. They were fined / made to pay serious compensation for that too...

All is not what it seems in the motor industry....just hope what you say is true and that the pensions are ring-fenced and I can one day get my hands on my hard earned investments  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 15
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Volkswagen

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.