This thread currently has 12,599 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
LH
October 6, 2015, 11:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
I was a bit nervous when I heard the team but that first 15-20 minutes was excellent. We could have been 3-0 before McKeown's error. I did hear a few murmurs of "loan signing" "rest" etc but let's be honest tonight's error should be seen as an isolated incident. Purely down to the conditions. The ironic cheers are for another thread.

I am so pleased for Nathan Arnold. I was expecting a good performance when I heard he was starting but those two goals were as good as we'll see this season (first probably an own goal but what a run that was).

I am aware that after their introduction we looked a bit shaky but the instant understanding that Bogle and Amond had when they came on shows, in my opinion, why they must start. By-line run and cross from Amond to Bogle who lost out to their defender who put it out for a corner. There was another one on the other side  a few minutes later as well. They just work well together and I always feel like we're more threatening with them in the team.

If Gateshead are anywhere near the top I will be gobsmacked. I've no idea whether they had important players out or a bad night but they were as poor as any oppostion I've seen this season.

We have a really good set of fixtures coming up before the cup break to really get amongst it at the top. I am happy with our recent form and I hope that tonight has convinced a few others that we are capable. As PH said on Humberside tonight the feeling around the club when we're united makes a huge difference. These lads are good.  
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2015, 11:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Well done Town and well done in particular to Nathan Arnold who by the sounds of the radio commentary had a stormer after a difficult couple of weeks personally.

If we win Saturday that will be 7 points from 9 versus teams around/above us overall I would have taken that in advance to be fair.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
oldun
October 6, 2015, 11:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Maringer
I thought Tomlinson played pretty well tonight. Linked up play well, worked hard, did plenty of good stuff. Just the one bad miss which he hit straight at the keeper which made it too easy to save. His effort from a tight angle must have been close. No idea why anybody would want to cheer/boo him off the pitch following a decent performance.

On the other hand, Pittman hit the post with a header when he should probably have done better but didn't really get involved apart from that. A bit disappointed with him to tell the truth and he doesn't look as lively as he did at times last season. Almost as though he's playing well within himself?

We looked livelier for 5 minutes after Bogle and Amond came one and came close a couple of times but, after that, they didn't really get any possession - trying flicks and tricks a bit too often, in my view. Not sure how much that was down to our play with the midfield sitting deeper or how much was due to Gateshead pushing forward.

In general I thought Disley and Clay had one of their better games and, in fact, all the midfield 4 played well. Couple of great bits of play from Arnold to win us the game and the second was an absolute belter.

Have to say I didn't think much at all of Gateshead and I'm in agreement that it would be a surprise if they were up in the mix come the end of the season. We really should have put them to bed much sooner.

Points well made Maringer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
barralad
October 6, 2015, 11:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I thought the first half-despite Macca's howler-was about the best 45 minutes we've played this season.  Arnold was unstoppable and the whole team moved the ball quickly forward-lots of movement up front with decent delivery from all four midfield players. The corners-of which there seemed to be loads were dangerous and it was surprising that we didn't go in at least one goal to the good.
Gateshead were poor. I cannot remember Macca having to make a save throughout the half.
I consider myself privileged to have seen two great goals in 4 days. Arnold's second was absolutely fantastic. The skill to make the chance for himself matched by breathtaking power and accuracy.
A word about Tomlinson. I think those that think Hurst sees something in him from a defensive point of view are spot on. His game is that of a constant harrier whose very presence unsettles defenders and means that the job of defending starts well up the pitch. I get the impression that he is desperate to succeed here and that could be clouding his decision making. His main weapon is a powerful shot but there was an occasion where he fair hammered the ball across goal just missing the far post where a deftness of touch might have achieved his aim. His best chance resulted in a poor finish. He knew it, the crowd knew it but it didn't appear to faze him. He just got on with the job of closing down defenders. There have been loads of occasions where people on here (including me) have bemoaned how deep we defend. For the resolution of that Tomlinson must be a heaven sent gift. HOWEVER:- I was left with the distinct impression that not necessarily Bogle but Amond would have put both those chances away and for me that is Hurst's dilemma in a nutshell. He obviously leans towards players who have a defensive capability but it is costing him goals
I'd like to open a controversial debate about the substitutions. I thought they actually caused us to lose some momentum. There could be several reasons for that. Gateshead certainly used their own subs to change the way they were playing. Disley (who looked to have a problem mid-way through the second half) and Clay put in a hell of a shift for 70 minutes but as is well documented we lack fresh legs for their roles and Gateshead instead of being harried all over the middle of the park suddenly found more room. The third possibly most controversial proposition is that neither Bogle or Amond have it in their weaponry to run all over the pitch and harry and, as such Gateshead were relatively free to build from the back. There was one absolutely delightful interchange between Bogle and Amond which merited a third goal for the latter which goes towards proving the point made by those who think they should play about the importance of developing an understanding. The downside was that on at least two occasions Bogle lost the ball when surrounded by defenders and made no attempt to win it back.
Whatever the reason Gateshead came back into the game and Town got a bit lucky with two decent efforts that just missed the target with Macca appearing to be beaten. The four minutes of time added on seemed about ten mainly because from a position of strength we'd gone to one where we were "just" hanging on.

Nobody played badly. I think Hurst puts too much store on the ball to Monkhouse although he acquitted himself pretty well tonight. East was great in the first half but didn't get forward as much in the second

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
Tommy
October 6, 2015, 11:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Just one more thing to add. I didn't know Paddy Mc was playing until he was going off and people were applauding. Genuinely didn't notice him.

Which kind of shows we were right to let him go IMO.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
oldun
October 6, 2015, 11:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Just a point on the much maligned Tomlinson. He is playing because he works harder for the team than the others. Of course he is desperate to score, probably trying too hard. He smashed a shot just wide when just a bit more composure may have had an end result. His second effort which was saved by the keeper was a sharp chance after he had unselfishly tried to set ?Nathan up for his hatrick. It is possible when he gets his first goal he may go on to get several. Unfortunately when our two sub strikers came on it was at a stage when the midfield had been pushed back so we're forced to chase long balls and had less support.. Having said that Bogle must do much better when not in possession, he switches off too easily. Yes he looks a goal threat but there is lots to improve in his overall game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
ginnywings
October 6, 2015, 11:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
An excellent summing up as usual Barra and the point about us losing momentum when the front two were switched is not controversial to me. I've said the same myself. I spent a good portion of the game arguing with my own mates and brother about the reasons why Tomlinson is being preferred but i was in a minority of one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
Maringer
October 6, 2015, 11:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
The other point I think is important is that Monkhouse played pretty well for the first half and OK in the second, but he clearly wasn't going to be covering lots of ground as the game went on and that probably helped them get back into it nearer the end. I reckon he was left on the pitch as much because he's the only one of our attacking options who is good in the air (for both attacking and defending) as for any other reason.

I can understand the reasons why Hurst often keeps him on - not least because most teams have a few big blokes to throw the ball up to as they are chasing the game and he is of help to the defence. However, I wonder if on occasion the added pace of Marshall could be a better option.

I have to say, one area where I'm still disappointed with much of our play is the counter-attack. Despite having some pacy forwards and attackers, we just don't move the ball forward through midfield quickly enough so it is rare that we catch teams out at the back, even when we get into some good initial positions at times.

Encouraging that we have clawed so many points back on the leaders despite not playing particularly well at times. I hope we can really click soon and begin to play more good stuff to really get the season going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2015, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42

4 good goals in 4 days at BP.

Excellent win tonight. We passed and move with some purpose and accuracy.   Very encouraging for the rest of the season.  Also note the players who did not play or did not play for 90 mins.  

A lot better than Sat without Macreth.  Or is this a coincidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
ginnywings
October 6, 2015, 11:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
The other point I think is important is that Monkhouse played pretty well for the first half and OK in the second, but he clearly wasn't going to be covering lots of ground as the game went on and that probably helped them get back into it nearer the end. I reckon he was left on the pitch as much because he's the only one of our attacking options who is good in the air (for both attacking and defending) as for any other reason.

I can understand the reasons why Hurst often keeps him on - not least because most teams have a few big blokes to throw the ball up to as they are chasing the game and he is of help to the defence. However, I wonder if on occasion the added pace of Marshall could be a better option.

I have to say, one area where I'm still disappointed with much of our play is the counter-attack. Despite having some pacy forwards and attackers, we just don't move the ball forward through midfield quickly enough so it is rare that we catch teams out at the back, even when we get into some good initial positions at times.

Encouraging that we have clawed so many points back on the leaders despite not playing particularly well at times. I hope we can really click soon and begin to play more good stuff to really get the season going.

Incredibly, Bromley have won 7 of their last 8 games and they didn't look owt special when we spanked them. If they can do it.............................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.