7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 7, 2015, 12:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,642
Gold Stars: 70
Interesting debate about Tomlinson & the impact of subs. Personally I was pleased when we brought Tomlinson essentially for that nuisance and irritation value, plus at Lincoln he had a reasonable scoring record. However, after last two home games I feel he does not provid e the threat that Almond & Bogle give us.

A point Ginnywings made the other day about PH being pragmatic I think hits the nail on the head and the need for defence related responsibilities are a  prime reason for his & Monkhouse's selection.

In respect of losing momentum following the substitutions I believe the key reason for this is that during this period our midfield are tiring & Monkhouse also starts to play deeper as tonight did Arnold, basically protecting what we have. Tonight it worked so we are all happy.

However, I think that first five minutes when they came on their movement & link up play tore Gateshead apart and should have brouught us at least one more goal. Hence I would support the general feeling that substitutions made a little earlier could have a far more positive effect on the result.

As for the game itself very happy with the quality of football played and another two goals would not have flattered us.

A win at Braintree saturday will get the juices flowing
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
northbankmariner
October 7, 2015, 12:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
My comments probably echo what's already been said by many so will keep it short. Solid good performance from town, we battled hard to win the ball back at times and some of the crisp passing on the deck in little triangles bad very effective on a very wet pitch. East and Arnold linked up very well and overlapped on occasions great to see. It usa pity the same cannot be said for the left flank so most of our attacking play came from Arnold and Crikey was he enjoying it, excellent performance. I know monk house isn't an orthodox winger but for me he drifts inside far too much when he should be giving width and stretching the defense and keeping their right back honest. Clay and disley worked tirelessly in the middle. Defense had a solid game, gowling impressive winning everything in the air ably backed up by Pearson. Full backs defended well. Macca has been covered by others so won't add to that, it happens. Now we come to the strikers. Pittman had for me a really good game, unlucky with a header against the post but his all round play, movement, eagerness to get on the ball and clever footballing brain was evident from the upper findus. Tomlinson ran and chased a great deal and is not a bad player but feel podge and omarare better, straight after coming on they showed great link up play and created a chance more threatening than Tomlinson had managed in his 70 mins. I think trawler mentioned in his post he would like to see amond and Pittman as a pair, so would I, the pace movement and intelligence of these two would terrorise defences with Arnold adding his weight.  Would liked to have seen Marshall come on for monk house in the second half, I feel him and tait down the left could mirror east and Arnold down the right, and if we could be equally effective as we weren't tonight, then Crikey that would be mouthwatering.  Good performance all round solid effort, would have liked a third goal to kill the game but ultimately enjoyed the game and happy with the 3 deserved points. Well done town. UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Just got back. Glad to get a beer and get off those wet roads.

Agree with some excellent posts by Ginny, Barra, Trawler, Tommy and one or two others and won't add too much.

I though East was fantastic in the first half and that he and Arnold looked great working together. I'd want that pair to persist down the right side as they will cause almost all teams a lot of problems if they play like that. I was really pleased for Arnold and thought the crowd showed him great support and warmth (shame Hurst didn't mention that in his post match comments about some supporters). Both of Arnold's goals were all about his skill and technique - the second goal was class.

I though Josh Gowling was absolutely immense and won everything. Totally dominant.

The front two starters didn't really impress me, except to say that their effort and workrate were faultless. I've seen nothing to make me change my mind about Padraig Amond and that is that he should be starting games, alongside either JPP or Bogle.

A really superb effort that made Gateshead look ordinary and some excellent football played at times, especially in the first half. 2-1 wasn't really a reflection of our dominance and, I never really felt that Gateshead were much of a threat, even when they changed their system and had a bit more posession in the last 30 mins.

I felt for James McKeown, and still can't quite believe that it happened.

Well done Town. Didn't let that setback affect us, which was great to see, and bodes well.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
Grantley
October 7, 2015, 12:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
East and Arnold linked up really well on the right and long may it continue. The left just isn't working though; not enough pace or creativity. Can Tait ( too good to be left on the bench IMO) not play there? Feared the worst when Mckeown pooed himself but he got slightly better. Gowling ace again. Clay and Disley steady without being brilliant, didn't really need to be against that powderpuff midfield of Gateshead.

Now the forwards. I didn't think Tomlinson was too bad apart from the first 10 mins where he was bloody diabolical. Passed well, held it up, just his shooting needed to be better. What didn't help was that right from the off, you could sense people almost WANTED him to fail; every bad touch was greeted with " get him off, he's excrement" etc. As for the ironic cheering when he went off, be ashamed of yourselves whoever did it.

Agreed with most of what Hurst said, especially about the negativity creeping back. I think Bogle and Amond should be back for the Braintree game though. The way I see it is that with Pittman and Tomlinson can be used as the battering rams to wear down the better defences and Bogle and Amond can unlock the lesser defences and get goals. Probably all in my head. Gateshead were very different to before; for all their previous results, they lacked firepower and really have a particular thread though Clark was very good for them.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
pontoonlew
October 7, 2015, 12:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,833
Gold Stars: 167
The negativity is creeping back because Hurst has brought it back IMO. His strange decisions and cagey post match interviews trying to justify said strange decisions are getting on fans nerves.

Not only this but on the pitch, we don't seem as exciting as we were earlier in the season. You sensed despite conceding silly goals, we'd eventually click and start hammering teams on the regular.

I find it a very 'us v them' attitude around the club again at the moment, and forgive me for this opinion but I think a lot of it revolves around one man...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
TownSNAFU5
October 7, 2015, 12:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,848
Gold Stars: 42
The ref was good tonight.  Did not notice him. Well, apart from his quirky decision near to the end of the game with Macca's kick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 12:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,862
Gold Stars: 353
Ha ha yeah...just remembered that! What was that about? Gowling accidently caugth their player in the face. The Ref stopped the game, then called a couple of players over, looked like he was going to instruct us to kick it back to them, and then seemed to be about to give a 'drop ball' instead. He then gave the ball to Macca to restart the game (which was odd), then walked up to him, took the ball off him, and then threw it straight back to him again? WTF?! I'd love to know what rule that one was!?!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
sydney
October 7, 2015, 1:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Good Performance Town against one of the supposedley stong teams of the division
Know lets build on this soild show tonight
Arnold Amazing
Gowling Gargantuan
East Excellent
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
LongEatonMariner
October 7, 2015, 6:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from northbankmariner
[b]My comments probably echo what's already been said by many so will keep it short[\b]. Solid good performance from town, we battled hard to win the ball back at times and some of the crisp passing on the deck in little triangles bad very effective on a very wet pitch. East and Arnold linked up very well and overlapped on occasions great to see. It usa pity the same cannot be said for the left flank so most of our attacking play came from Arnold and Crikey was he enjoying it, excellent performance. I know monk house isn't an orthodox winger but for me he drifts inside far too much when he should be giving width and stretching the defense and keeping their right back honest. Clay and disley worked tirelessly in the middle. Defense had a solid game, gowling impressive winning everything in the air ably backed up by Pearson. Full backs defended well. Macca has been covered by others so won't add to that, it happens. Now we come to the strikers. Pittman had for me a really good game, unlucky with a header against the post but his all round play, movement, eagerness to get on the ball and clever footballing brain was evident from the upper findus. Tomlinson ran and chased a great deal and is not a bad player but feel podge and omarare better, straight after coming on they showed great link up play and created a chance more threatening than Tomlinson had managed in his 70 mins. I think trawler mentioned in his post he would like to see amond and Pittman as a pair, so would I, the pace movement and intelligence of these two would terrorise defences with Arnold adding his weight.  Would liked to have seen Marshall come on for monk house in the second half, I feel him and tait down the left could mirror east and Arnold down the right, and if we could be equally effective as we weren't tonight, then Crikey that would be mouthwatering.  Good performance all round solid effort, would have liked a third goal to kill the game but ultimately enjoyed the game and happy with the 3 deserved points. Well done town. UTM

Hahahahaha
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
headingly_mariner
October 7, 2015, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
I thought the first half hour was the best we've played all season. I think Tomlinson has split opinion, for me he is clearly a hard worker, but he has snatched at every chance he has had and is often on his heels when the ball comes to him. He strikes me as being very low on confidence at the minute and obviously the excrement from the crowd won't help him. I find it hard to see him struggle when we have such talent on the bench, don't get me wrong I have seen him play well in the past for Lincoln but I would rather see one of the other two in with Pittman.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.