This thread currently has 12,597 views. Print
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Fat Cobra
October 6, 2015, 9:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
Really entertaining game, well done town!

End to end stuff, edge of your seat kind of game

Hurst has once again proven he's got the tactical knowledge to get us out of this dire league. With our Hursty at the helm and the fans behind him we could be an unstoppable force.

Proud of the lads tonight, they gave their all and are a credit to themselves and the club!

An enjoyable game, keep it up town

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
forza ivano
October 6, 2015, 9:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
So speaks a true supporter. Must've been your doppelgänger making silly negative comments on the match thread.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 64
mariner91
October 6, 2015, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
You might want to have a little read of this: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Schizophrenia/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 64
Fat Cobra
October 6, 2015, 9:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / -28
Approval: -1,479
Quoted from forza ivano
So speaks a true supporter. Must've been your doppelgänger making silly negative comments on the match thread.......

You must be mistakened Ivor
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 64
Hagrid
October 6, 2015, 9:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,373
Gold Stars: 532
Deserved 3 points. One in the eye for the critics. Im in no mood to gloat as i had my worst experiance at a game as some wild animal excrement underneath my seat in the upper and the smell was vile. Club has so far ignored my complaint but a good win and 3 points and we must back it up with 3 at braintree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 64
promotion plaice
October 6, 2015, 9:57pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,040
Gold Stars: 197
Great show of character to come back from Mckeown's blunder, a lot of great performances tonight but stand out for me was Arnold and Gowling

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 64
headingly_mariner
October 6, 2015, 10:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Good win, played well, Tomlinson gash!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 64
LondonMariner43
October 6, 2015, 10:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Anyone know how many points we had last season after 15 games?  

Considering most would agree that on a number of occasions this season the team haven't performed to their potential, its encouraging that we are only 4 points off the top, 8 games unbeaten and second best goal difference in the league.  We have a squad that is strong enough to have some fantastic players on the bench.  Sooner or later we will have our traditional 'good run' and find ourselves at the top of the table.  Still nothing to fear in this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 64
Trawler
October 6, 2015, 10:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Arnold absolutely outstanding. East and Nathan linked up well and will be a potent combo if allowed to continue playing together.

Every player grafted. Good team effort.  

We were comfortably better than them. Nothing to suggest they will still be in the mix later on.

That's the first half decent ref we've seen for ages. And a half decent game of football as a result.

Hurts persists with Tomlinson as a starter. He ran his socks off but offered little. He and Pitman didn't seem to click. I want to see the Amond/Pitman frontline that was so successful in pre-season. But what are the odds Tomlinson will get the nod. Again.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 64
ginnywings
October 6, 2015, 10:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
A more comprehensive 2-1 you'd be hard to find. We tore them a new one for the first 25 minutes and got in behind them time and again. We'll gloss over the Macca incident, it happens. Thought we were far better than them and can't see them staying at the top end of the table for long if that's their usual standard. Arnold and East worked very well together and their left back must have been having kittens. Arnold was the man of the matchiest man of the match i've seen for a long time and scored 2 cracking goals, as well as putting in some great crosses. Gowling was fantastic and no-one had a poor game. Tomlinson got loads of unfair stick i thought. He's a tryer no doubt but it's just not happening for him. Bogle showed his good side and his bad. Caused them problems with direct running but gave away possession when we were trying seeing out the game.

Only downside for me is that we could have come away with a draw if a couple of their efforts hadn't just dropped past the post with Macca beaten. We should have won the game more comfortably and from what i've seen, the league is there for the taking if we start converting our chances. No strikers scored again tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 64
Tangerine Chris
October 6, 2015, 10:17pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Good win, played well, Tomlinson gash!!!

Have to disagree.  Ben is more industrial than LJL ever was.  He is all over the pitch, and when he does finally break his duck and score for us, I am sure the flood gates will open

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 64
forza ivano
October 6, 2015, 10:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,148
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Anyone know how many points we had last season after 15 games?  

Considering most would agree that on a number of occasions this season the team haven't performed to their potential, its encouraging that we are only 4 points off the top, 8 games unbeaten and second best goal difference in the league.  We have a squad that is strong enough to have some fantastic players on the bench.  Sooner or later we will have our traditional 'good run' and find ourselves at the top of the table.  Still nothing to fear in this league.

21 points last season, although we did win 5 on the trot straight after
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 64
Mrs Doyle
October 6, 2015, 10:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
First half was all Town to he honest they looked awful. Macca don't ever make a feck up like that again, must go down as one of the worst howlers seen at Blundell Park. We were totally in control up to then.  Nathan Arnold on the other hand played like a man possessed best I have ever seen him play. Second half was more edgy we seemed to be hanging on a bit at the end. Think Bogle and Paddy was just what was needed to hold the ball up a bit as their midfield started to take control. Danny east had another good game his pace saved us a couple of times besides that Macca did not have much to do tank god.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 64
Chrisblor
October 6, 2015, 10:19pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,772
Gold Stars: 233
Agree 100% with that summary Trawler. Arnold absolutely superb going forward and defensively. I hope to see Pittman and Amond starting together on Saturday as well - thought Amond did really well when he came on and looked a threat. Bogle still not quite there - feel he wasn't hassling their defenders or chasing down balls enough to win back his starting spot. Tomlinson just doesn't offer enough creatively - loads of effort but never looks close to scoring. There was one chance that dropped to him in acres of space on the edge of the box in the second half and he hit it weakly right at the keeper.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 6, 2015, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Still think we have the best squad in the league and that someone is going to get a spanking when we click. Once again we persist with a striker that can't score but is all effort,  I personally don't get it but maybe I'm old fashioned in my belief that strikers should score when they get a bagful of chances.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 64
lukeo
October 6, 2015, 10:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
listened to radio prety much sounded like it was a stroll in the park, nice to hear macca get clapped on his way off at half time.
3 points. 8 unbeaten. roll on Saturday
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 64
DocTower
October 6, 2015, 10:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Good win , we made it much harder than needed . Apart from the blunder to give Gateshead the lead they certainly didn't appear to be a team second in this division . We were better than them but never stamped our authority on the game .
Pitman and Tomlinson just don't compliment  each other , it's been tried before with little success . The constant lump  it to Monkhouse  must be changed , plus our inability to change or adapt to the opposition changing their formation .

Apart from Arnolds solo effort wonder goal we never looked dangerous.  Our back 4 were solid again with Gowling standing out , midfield were pushed back in the second half as Gateshead changed things around . Clay for me was the busiest with so good passing  .. Amond and Bogle brought  on too late but showed they have a better understanding together than the two starting tonight.

Thousand down on Saturdays attendance I counted 27 away supporters .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 64
Maringer
October 6, 2015, 10:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
I thought Tomlinson played pretty well tonight. Linked up play well, worked hard, did plenty of good stuff. Just the one bad miss which he hit straight at the keeper which made it too easy to save. His effort from a tight angle must have been close. No idea why anybody would want to cheer/boo him off the pitch following a decent performance.

On the other hand, Pittman hit the post with a header when he should probably have done better but didn't really get involved apart from that. A bit disappointed with him to tell the truth and he doesn't look as lively as he did at times last season. Almost as though he's playing well within himself?

We looked livelier for 5 minutes after Bogle and Amond came one and came close a couple of times but, after that, they didn't really get any possession - trying flicks and tricks a bit too often, in my view. Not sure how much that was down to our play with the midfield sitting deeper or how much was due to Gateshead pushing forward.

In general I thought Disley and Clay had one of their better games and, in fact, all the midfield 4 played well. Couple of great bits of play from Arnold to win us the game and the second was an absolute belter.

Have to say I didn't think much at all of Gateshead and I'm in agreement that it would be a surprise if they were up in the mix come the end of the season. We really should have put them to bed much sooner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 64
Tommy
October 6, 2015, 10:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Enjoyed that game.

Didn't think much to Gateshead at all, they offered absolutely nothing. But let's give ourselves credit and consider that our work rate, pressing and speed of play in the first 35 minutes had them pegged back. They couldn't get out of their own half for long spells.

Horrible error from Macca, didn't get his hands behind the ball. Didn't have anything else to do until late on.

Back four were solid. East much better than Saturday and his pace saved us once or twice when covering at the back.

East and Arnold looked like a real partnership down the right and we had the beating of Gateshead down that side all day long.

Arnold was class and ultimately the difference tonight. We played well and deserved the win, but it was Arnold who provided the moments of class.

Tomlinson, I thought, played well. Worked hard, got involved in a lot of good build up play when he pulled wide left first half. Second half his work rate didn't drop and he held it up reasonably well and brought Pittman and Arnold into play with some decent flick ons and passes. Had one real chance on the edge of the box which he struck cleanly but too close to the middle of the goal. Didn't understand the cheering when he went off because he did well. Is he being unfairly singled out just because fans would rather see others in ahead of him?

Monkhouse much better than Saturday too but thought he tired towards the end. Would've liked to have seen Marshall come on for 15 minutes and run at their right back.

All in all we didn't create many chances but put in a good performance. Good pressing and an intense start to the game which was good. Other than the one move where Bogle played Amond out wide and Amond tried to cross to Bogle, we looked better with Tomlinson/Pittman on. The ball wouldn't stick once they went off and Gateshead were suddenly getting time and room to play out from the back a bit more.

Without doubt MOM Arnold.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 64
moosey_club
October 6, 2015, 10:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Cracking start to the game, similar to how Arsenal played Man Utd on Sunday, high line, pressure on their back four and neat to feet passing....unbelievable to be a goal down with them hardly getting in our half.....such an easy ball for Macca to deal with i think in his head he must have already caught it and was looking where to distribute, mental lapse but shouldnt happen to a professional footballer.....
to be fair to the team they just started where they had left off and didnt let it phase them, more high pressure, more neat play and the goal finally came, superb individual effort from Arnold..beating three men before getting a bit of fortune with a post rebound off the keeper into the net, technically an own goal but full credit to Arnold.
Same story for the first 45 mins, Arnold, East linking up and looking unstoppable.  1-1 half time a travesty in reality.

Second half we were a little slower in getting going, but settled down and were looking comfortable again, beautiful goal out of nowhere for Arnold again similar to his strike against Eastleigh last season...rocket!!

The game started to turn around 60 - 70 mins fror me, their substitutions livened them up, Disley, Clay and Monkhouse started to tire and we slowly started to retreat but the back four held firm. Our double substitution  ( bang on 70 minutes of course)  worked for a few minutes, creating a couple of half chances but their third sub and a knock to Disley seemed to kill off any remaining fizz from our midfield and left Amond and Bogle feeding off scraps. Held out albeit surrendering a little territory but no major scares.

Not impressed by the heed at all, how they are the best away team in this league i do not know.

Arnold - superb, really pleased for him after his recent times. Outstanding true wingers performance.    

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 64
LH
October 6, 2015, 11:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,495
Gold Stars: 173
I was a bit nervous when I heard the team but that first 15-20 minutes was excellent. We could have been 3-0 before McKeown's error. I did hear a few murmurs of "loan signing" "rest" etc but let's be honest tonight's error should be seen as an isolated incident. Purely down to the conditions. The ironic cheers are for another thread.

I am so pleased for Nathan Arnold. I was expecting a good performance when I heard he was starting but those two goals were as good as we'll see this season (first probably an own goal but what a run that was).

I am aware that after their introduction we looked a bit shaky but the instant understanding that Bogle and Amond had when they came on shows, in my opinion, why they must start. By-line run and cross from Amond to Bogle who lost out to their defender who put it out for a corner. There was another one on the other side  a few minutes later as well. They just work well together and I always feel like we're more threatening with them in the team.

If Gateshead are anywhere near the top I will be gobsmacked. I've no idea whether they had important players out or a bad night but they were as poor as any oppostion I've seen this season.

We have a really good set of fixtures coming up before the cup break to really get amongst it at the top. I am happy with our recent form and I hope that tonight has convinced a few others that we are capable. As PH said on Humberside tonight the feeling around the club when we're united makes a huge difference. These lads are good.  
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 64
HertsGTFC
October 6, 2015, 11:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Well done Town and well done in particular to Nathan Arnold who by the sounds of the radio commentary had a stormer after a difficult couple of weeks personally.

If we win Saturday that will be 7 points from 9 versus teams around/above us overall I would have taken that in advance to be fair.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 64
oldun
October 6, 2015, 11:20pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Maringer
I thought Tomlinson played pretty well tonight. Linked up play well, worked hard, did plenty of good stuff. Just the one bad miss which he hit straight at the keeper which made it too easy to save. His effort from a tight angle must have been close. No idea why anybody would want to cheer/boo him off the pitch following a decent performance.

On the other hand, Pittman hit the post with a header when he should probably have done better but didn't really get involved apart from that. A bit disappointed with him to tell the truth and he doesn't look as lively as he did at times last season. Almost as though he's playing well within himself?

We looked livelier for 5 minutes after Bogle and Amond came one and came close a couple of times but, after that, they didn't really get any possession - trying flicks and tricks a bit too often, in my view. Not sure how much that was down to our play with the midfield sitting deeper or how much was due to Gateshead pushing forward.

In general I thought Disley and Clay had one of their better games and, in fact, all the midfield 4 played well. Couple of great bits of play from Arnold to win us the game and the second was an absolute belter.

Have to say I didn't think much at all of Gateshead and I'm in agreement that it would be a surprise if they were up in the mix come the end of the season. We really should have put them to bed much sooner.

Points well made Maringer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 64
barralad
October 6, 2015, 11:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I thought the first half-despite Macca's howler-was about the best 45 minutes we've played this season.  Arnold was unstoppable and the whole team moved the ball quickly forward-lots of movement up front with decent delivery from all four midfield players. The corners-of which there seemed to be loads were dangerous and it was surprising that we didn't go in at least one goal to the good.
Gateshead were poor. I cannot remember Macca having to make a save throughout the half.
I consider myself privileged to have seen two great goals in 4 days. Arnold's second was absolutely fantastic. The skill to make the chance for himself matched by breathtaking power and accuracy.
A word about Tomlinson. I think those that think Hurst sees something in him from a defensive point of view are spot on. His game is that of a constant harrier whose very presence unsettles defenders and means that the job of defending starts well up the pitch. I get the impression that he is desperate to succeed here and that could be clouding his decision making. His main weapon is a powerful shot but there was an occasion where he fair hammered the ball across goal just missing the far post where a deftness of touch might have achieved his aim. His best chance resulted in a poor finish. He knew it, the crowd knew it but it didn't appear to faze him. He just got on with the job of closing down defenders. There have been loads of occasions where people on here (including me) have bemoaned how deep we defend. For the resolution of that Tomlinson must be a heaven sent gift. HOWEVER:- I was left with the distinct impression that not necessarily Bogle but Amond would have put both those chances away and for me that is Hurst's dilemma in a nutshell. He obviously leans towards players who have a defensive capability but it is costing him goals
I'd like to open a controversial debate about the substitutions. I thought they actually caused us to lose some momentum. There could be several reasons for that. Gateshead certainly used their own subs to change the way they were playing. Disley (who looked to have a problem mid-way through the second half) and Clay put in a hell of a shift for 70 minutes but as is well documented we lack fresh legs for their roles and Gateshead instead of being harried all over the middle of the park suddenly found more room. The third possibly most controversial proposition is that neither Bogle or Amond have it in their weaponry to run all over the pitch and harry and, as such Gateshead were relatively free to build from the back. There was one absolutely delightful interchange between Bogle and Amond which merited a third goal for the latter which goes towards proving the point made by those who think they should play about the importance of developing an understanding. The downside was that on at least two occasions Bogle lost the ball when surrounded by defenders and made no attempt to win it back.
Whatever the reason Gateshead came back into the game and Town got a bit lucky with two decent efforts that just missed the target with Macca appearing to be beaten. The four minutes of time added on seemed about ten mainly because from a position of strength we'd gone to one where we were "just" hanging on.

Nobody played badly. I think Hurst puts too much store on the ball to Monkhouse although he acquitted himself pretty well tonight. East was great in the first half but didn't get forward as much in the second

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 64
Tommy
October 6, 2015, 11:26pm
Season Ticket Holder
Just one more thing to add. I didn't know Paddy Mc was playing until he was going off and people were applauding. Genuinely didn't notice him.

Which kind of shows we were right to let him go IMO.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 64
oldun
October 6, 2015, 11:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Just a point on the much maligned Tomlinson. He is playing because he works harder for the team than the others. Of course he is desperate to score, probably trying too hard. He smashed a shot just wide when just a bit more composure may have had an end result. His second effort which was saved by the keeper was a sharp chance after he had unselfishly tried to set ?Nathan up for his hatrick. It is possible when he gets his first goal he may go on to get several. Unfortunately when our two sub strikers came on it was at a stage when the midfield had been pushed back so we're forced to chase long balls and had less support.. Having said that Bogle must do much better when not in possession, he switches off too easily. Yes he looks a goal threat but there is lots to improve in his overall game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 64
ginnywings
October 6, 2015, 11:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
An excellent summing up as usual Barra and the point about us losing momentum when the front two were switched is not controversial to me. I've said the same myself. I spent a good portion of the game arguing with my own mates and brother about the reasons why Tomlinson is being preferred but i was in a minority of one.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 64
Maringer
October 6, 2015, 11:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,475
Gold Stars: 185
The other point I think is important is that Monkhouse played pretty well for the first half and OK in the second, but he clearly wasn't going to be covering lots of ground as the game went on and that probably helped them get back into it nearer the end. I reckon he was left on the pitch as much because he's the only one of our attacking options who is good in the air (for both attacking and defending) as for any other reason.

I can understand the reasons why Hurst often keeps him on - not least because most teams have a few big blokes to throw the ball up to as they are chasing the game and he is of help to the defence. However, I wonder if on occasion the added pace of Marshall could be a better option.

I have to say, one area where I'm still disappointed with much of our play is the counter-attack. Despite having some pacy forwards and attackers, we just don't move the ball forward through midfield quickly enough so it is rare that we catch teams out at the back, even when we get into some good initial positions at times.

Encouraging that we have clawed so many points back on the leaders despite not playing particularly well at times. I hope we can really click soon and begin to play more good stuff to really get the season going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 64
TownSNAFU5
October 6, 2015, 11:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42

4 good goals in 4 days at BP.

Excellent win tonight. We passed and move with some purpose and accuracy.   Very encouraging for the rest of the season.  Also note the players who did not play or did not play for 90 mins.  

A lot better than Sat without Macreth.  Or is this a coincidence?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 64
ginnywings
October 6, 2015, 11:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Maringer
The other point I think is important is that Monkhouse played pretty well for the first half and OK in the second, but he clearly wasn't going to be covering lots of ground as the game went on and that probably helped them get back into it nearer the end. I reckon he was left on the pitch as much because he's the only one of our attacking options who is good in the air (for both attacking and defending) as for any other reason.

I can understand the reasons why Hurst often keeps him on - not least because most teams have a few big blokes to throw the ball up to as they are chasing the game and he is of help to the defence. However, I wonder if on occasion the added pace of Marshall could be a better option.

I have to say, one area where I'm still disappointed with much of our play is the counter-attack. Despite having some pacy forwards and attackers, we just don't move the ball forward through midfield quickly enough so it is rare that we catch teams out at the back, even when we get into some good initial positions at times.

Encouraging that we have clawed so many points back on the leaders despite not playing particularly well at times. I hope we can really click soon and begin to play more good stuff to really get the season going.

Incredibly, Bromley have won 7 of their last 8 games and they didn't look owt special when we spanked them. If they can do it.............................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 64
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 7, 2015, 12:01am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Interesting debate about Tomlinson & the impact of subs. Personally I was pleased when we brought Tomlinson essentially for that nuisance and irritation value, plus at Lincoln he had a reasonable scoring record. However, after last two home games I feel he does not provid e the threat that Almond & Bogle give us.

A point Ginnywings made the other day about PH being pragmatic I think hits the nail on the head and the need for defence related responsibilities are a  prime reason for his & Monkhouse's selection.

In respect of losing momentum following the substitutions I believe the key reason for this is that during this period our midfield are tiring & Monkhouse also starts to play deeper as tonight did Arnold, basically protecting what we have. Tonight it worked so we are all happy.

However, I think that first five minutes when they came on their movement & link up play tore Gateshead apart and should have brouught us at least one more goal. Hence I would support the general feeling that substitutions made a little earlier could have a far more positive effect on the result.

As for the game itself very happy with the quality of football played and another two goals would not have flattered us.

A win at Braintree saturday will get the juices flowing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 64
northbankmariner
October 7, 2015, 12:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
My comments probably echo what's already been said by many so will keep it short. Solid good performance from town, we battled hard to win the ball back at times and some of the crisp passing on the deck in little triangles bad very effective on a very wet pitch. East and Arnold linked up very well and overlapped on occasions great to see. It usa pity the same cannot be said for the left flank so most of our attacking play came from Arnold and Crikey was he enjoying it, excellent performance. I know monk house isn't an orthodox winger but for me he drifts inside far too much when he should be giving width and stretching the defense and keeping their right back honest. Clay and disley worked tirelessly in the middle. Defense had a solid game, gowling impressive winning everything in the air ably backed up by Pearson. Full backs defended well. Macca has been covered by others so won't add to that, it happens. Now we come to the strikers. Pittman had for me a really good game, unlucky with a header against the post but his all round play, movement, eagerness to get on the ball and clever footballing brain was evident from the upper findus. Tomlinson ran and chased a great deal and is not a bad player but feel podge and omarare better, straight after coming on they showed great link up play and created a chance more threatening than Tomlinson had managed in his 70 mins. I think trawler mentioned in his post he would like to see amond and Pittman as a pair, so would I, the pace movement and intelligence of these two would terrorise defences with Arnold adding his weight.  Would liked to have seen Marshall come on for monk house in the second half, I feel him and tait down the left could mirror east and Arnold down the right, and if we could be equally effective as we weren't tonight, then Crikey that would be mouthwatering.  Good performance all round solid effort, would have liked a third goal to kill the game but ultimately enjoyed the game and happy with the 3 deserved points. Well done town. UTM

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 64
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 12:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Just got back. Glad to get a beer and get off those wet roads.

Agree with some excellent posts by Ginny, Barra, Trawler, Tommy and one or two others and won't add too much.

I though East was fantastic in the first half and that he and Arnold looked great working together. I'd want that pair to persist down the right side as they will cause almost all teams a lot of problems if they play like that. I was really pleased for Arnold and thought the crowd showed him great support and warmth (shame Hurst didn't mention that in his post match comments about some supporters). Both of Arnold's goals were all about his skill and technique - the second goal was class.

I though Josh Gowling was absolutely immense and won everything. Totally dominant.

The front two starters didn't really impress me, except to say that their effort and workrate were faultless. I've seen nothing to make me change my mind about Padraig Amond and that is that he should be starting games, alongside either JPP or Bogle.

A really superb effort that made Gateshead look ordinary and some excellent football played at times, especially in the first half. 2-1 wasn't really a reflection of our dominance and, I never really felt that Gateshead were much of a threat, even when they changed their system and had a bit more posession in the last 30 mins.

I felt for James McKeown, and still can't quite believe that it happened.

Well done Town. Didn't let that setback affect us, which was great to see, and bodes well.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 64
Grantley
October 7, 2015, 12:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,517
Gold Stars: 9
East and Arnold linked up really well on the right and long may it continue. The left just isn't working though; not enough pace or creativity. Can Tait ( too good to be left on the bench IMO) not play there? Feared the worst when Mckeown pooed himself but he got slightly better. Gowling ace again. Clay and Disley steady without being brilliant, didn't really need to be against that powderpuff midfield of Gateshead.

Now the forwards. I didn't think Tomlinson was too bad apart from the first 10 mins where he was bloody diabolical. Passed well, held it up, just his shooting needed to be better. What didn't help was that right from the off, you could sense people almost WANTED him to fail; every bad touch was greeted with " get him off, he's excrement" etc. As for the ironic cheering when he went off, be ashamed of yourselves whoever did it.

Agreed with most of what Hurst said, especially about the negativity creeping back. I think Bogle and Amond should be back for the Braintree game though. The way I see it is that with Pittman and Tomlinson can be used as the battering rams to wear down the better defences and Bogle and Amond can unlock the lesser defences and get goals. Probably all in my head. Gateshead were very different to before; for all their previous results, they lacked firepower and really have a particular thread though Clark was very good for them.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 64
pontoonlew
October 7, 2015, 12:28am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,987
Gold Stars: 171
The negativity is creeping back because Hurst has brought it back IMO. His strange decisions and cagey post match interviews trying to justify said strange decisions are getting on fans nerves.

Not only this but on the pitch, we don't seem as exciting as we were earlier in the season. You sensed despite conceding silly goals, we'd eventually click and start hammering teams on the regular.

I find it a very 'us v them' attitude around the club again at the moment, and forgive me for this opinion but I think a lot of it revolves around one man...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 64
TownSNAFU5
October 7, 2015, 12:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,874
Gold Stars: 42
The ref was good tonight.  Did not notice him. Well, apart from his quirky decision near to the end of the game with Macca's kick.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 64
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 12:36am
Barley Wine Drinker
Ha ha yeah...just remembered that! What was that about? Gowling accidently caugth their player in the face. The Ref stopped the game, then called a couple of players over, looked like he was going to instruct us to kick it back to them, and then seemed to be about to give a 'drop ball' instead. He then gave the ball to Macca to restart the game (which was odd), then walked up to him, took the ball off him, and then threw it straight back to him again? WTF?! I'd love to know what rule that one was!?!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 64
sydney
October 7, 2015, 1:14am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Good Performance Town against one of the supposedley stong teams of the division
Know lets build on this soild show tonight
Arnold Amazing
Gowling Gargantuan
East Excellent
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 64
LongEatonMariner
October 7, 2015, 6:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from northbankmariner
[b]My comments probably echo what's already been said by many so will keep it short[\b]. Solid good performance from town, we battled hard to win the ball back at times and some of the crisp passing on the deck in little triangles bad very effective on a very wet pitch. East and Arnold linked up very well and overlapped on occasions great to see. It usa pity the same cannot be said for the left flank so most of our attacking play came from Arnold and Crikey was he enjoying it, excellent performance. I know monk house isn't an orthodox winger but for me he drifts inside far too much when he should be giving width and stretching the defense and keeping their right back honest. Clay and disley worked tirelessly in the middle. Defense had a solid game, gowling impressive winning everything in the air ably backed up by Pearson. Full backs defended well. Macca has been covered by others so won't add to that, it happens. Now we come to the strikers. Pittman had for me a really good game, unlucky with a header against the post but his all round play, movement, eagerness to get on the ball and clever footballing brain was evident from the upper findus. Tomlinson ran and chased a great deal and is not a bad player but feel podge and omarare better, straight after coming on they showed great link up play and created a chance more threatening than Tomlinson had managed in his 70 mins. I think trawler mentioned in his post he would like to see amond and Pittman as a pair, so would I, the pace movement and intelligence of these two would terrorise defences with Arnold adding his weight.  Would liked to have seen Marshall come on for monk house in the second half, I feel him and tait down the left could mirror east and Arnold down the right, and if we could be equally effective as we weren't tonight, then Crikey that would be mouthwatering.  Good performance all round solid effort, would have liked a third goal to kill the game but ultimately enjoyed the game and happy with the 3 deserved points. Well done town. UTM

Hahahahaha
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 64
headingly_mariner
October 7, 2015, 9:17am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I thought the first half hour was the best we've played all season. I think Tomlinson has split opinion, for me he is clearly a hard worker, but he has snatched at every chance he has had and is often on his heels when the ball comes to him. He strikes me as being very low on confidence at the minute and obviously the excrement from the crowd won't help him. I find it hard to see him struggle when we have such talent on the bench, don't get me wrong I have seen him play well in the past for Lincoln but I would rather see one of the other two in with Pittman.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 64
arryarryarry
October 7, 2015, 9:38am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,039
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from oldun
Just a point on the much maligned Tomlinson. He is playing because he works harder for the team than the others. Of course he is desperate to score, probably trying too hard. He smashed a shot just wide when just a bit more composure may have had an end result. His second effort which was saved by the keeper was a sharp chance after he had unselfishly tried to set ?Nathan up for his hatrick. It is possible when he gets his first goal he may go on to get several. Unfortunately when our two sub strikers came on it was at a stage when the midfield had been pushed back so we're forced to chase long balls and had less support.. Having said that Bogle must do much better when not in possession, he switches off too easily. Yes he looks a goal threat but there is lots to improve in his overall game.

Can't really disagree with that, although I wouldn't go so far to say they pushed us back in those last 20 minutes, we felt that the midfield and at times the back four were too deep, which allowed them to come at us which put us under some pressure and didn't support Amond and Bogle enough.

I've mentioned elsewhere, a great performance by Nathan Arnold and one of the best team performances for some time, even better than the 4-0 win at Southport.
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 64
ivanosandwich
October 7, 2015, 10:11am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from pontoonlew
The negativity is creeping back because Hurst has brought it back IMO. His strange decisions and cagey post match interviews trying to justify said strange decisions are getting on fans nerves.

Not only this but on the pitch, we don't seem as exciting as we were earlier in the season. You sensed despite conceding silly goals, we'd eventually click and start hammering teams on the regular.

I find it a very 'us v them' attitude around the club again at the moment, and forgive me for this opinion but I think a lot of it revolves around one man...

Earlier in the season, we were more exciting but we were also drawing and in some cases, losing games we should have won.

Now we may be less exciting, but we are getting better results, which currently sees us in a great league position at this stage of the season.

Yes I want to be entertained and want to see loads of goals and more performances like last night but I would take less than exciting 1-0 wins until the end of the season if that's what it takes to get out of this league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 64
Mariner1980
October 7, 2015, 10:23am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
Anyone know who the plonker was at half time and full time at the tunnel, booing and giving the players grief?
He offered me outside for a fight because I told him to politely F off and go somewhere else if he wanted to act like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 64
Les Brechin
October 7, 2015, 10:26am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Mariner1980
Anyone know who the plonker was at half time and full time at the tunnel, booing and giving the players grief?
He offered me outside for a fight because I told him to politely F off and go somewhere else if he wanted to act like that.

Paul Hurst?  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 64
Mariner1980
October 7, 2015, 10:33am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
Quoted from Les Brechin

Paul Hurst?  

Ha, no I don't think it was him. Although, given his short stature, he could probably have given me a nasty punch in the veg.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 64
gtfc98
October 7, 2015, 10:38am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from Fat Cobra
Really entertaining game, well done town!

End to end stuff, edge of your seat kind of game

Hurst has once again proven he's got the tactical knowledge to get us out of this dire league. With our Hursty at the helm and the fans behind him we could be an unstoppable force.

Proud of the lads tonight, they gave their all and are a credit to themselves and the club!

An enjoyable game, keep it up town

UTM

Thought you were selling your season ticket with a buy-back clause if Hurst gets that sack? Tosser.

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 64
Rick12
October 7, 2015, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Trawler
Arnold absolutely outstanding. East and Nathan linked up well and will be a potent combo if allowed to continue playing together.

Every player grafted. Good team effort.  

We were comfortably better than them. Nothing to suggest they will still be in the mix later on.

That's the first half decent ref we've seen for ages. And a half decent game of football as a result.

Hurts persists with Tomlinson as a starter. He ran his socks off but offered little. He and Pitman didn't seem to click. I want to see the Amond/Pitman frontline that was so successful in pre-season. But what are the odds Tomlinson will get the nod. Again.
To be fair to Hurst I wouldent be surprised if he does change it.Listening to some of his interviews no ones position is safe which is good to hear as it shows players have to earn the right to wear the shirt

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 64
friskneymariner
October 7, 2015, 3:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
The ghost of Rob Scott.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 64
rancido
October 7, 2015, 4:29pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Tommy
Just one more thing to add. I didn't know Paddy Mc was playing until he was going off and people were applauding. Genuinely didn't notice him.

Which kind of shows we were right to let him go IMO.

But they played him out wide ( just like PH ) which is not his natural position. He is more suited to playing centre mid in a 4-3-3 system , like he did at York in their promotion season.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 64
MuddyWaters
October 7, 2015, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

But they played him out wide ( just like PH ) which is not his natural position. He is more suited to playing centre mid in a 4-3-3 system , like he did at York in their promotion season.

Don't know why anyone would red cross this as it is 100% true.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 64
Tommy
October 7, 2015, 5:00pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from rancido

Fair enough mate, like I said didn't notice him even playing or getting on the ball so couldn't have told you where he played.

He's never a left midfielder and is a victim of being a left footer in that he gets shunted out wide. Teams would be better off putting a right footed winger on the left as opposed to a left footed central midfielder.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 64
Abdul19
October 7, 2015, 5:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
He played on the right last night (a bit like us playing Disley on the left!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 64
Rodley Mariner
October 7, 2015, 5:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
You're limiting the manager a bit if you can only play centre midfield and only in a 3 where the other two will do all of your running and tackling for you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 64
chaos33
October 7, 2015, 7:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Paddy was played out wide on the right and it didn't work. He found last night tough for quite a few reasons.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 64
Abdul19
October 7, 2015, 11:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 215
Chaos, why does Paddy always have #26?

(I don't desperately need to know, my brain just notices pointless things!)

I assume it's not a John Terry tribute

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 64
chaos33
October 8, 2015, 6:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Just a number he likes. No special reason.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 64
gtfc98
October 8, 2015, 9:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Quoted from chaos33
Paddy was played out wide on the right and it didn't work. He found last night tough for quite a few reasons.

what were the reasons mate?

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 64
LongEatonMariner
October 8, 2015, 2:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from gtfc98

what were the reasons mate?

1) He was up against the best team in the (non) league

2) 1) is all that matters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 64
GYinScuntland
October 8, 2015, 4:04pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from Mariner1980

Think he said his name was Ronnie Pickering.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 64
MidnightMariner
October 8, 2015, 5:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 24
Will the real ronnie pickering please stand up !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 64
rancido
October 9, 2015, 5:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Don't know why anyone would red cross this as it is 100% true.

I suspect that some posters red cross every comment made by posters they don't like, regardless of content. Just my suspicious mind !!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 64
lukeo
October 9, 2015, 9:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 145
sorry rancido I had to red cross you for that comment :-p
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 64
Teestogreen
October 9, 2015, 11:33pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -127
Gold Stars: 22
I don't think the likes of posters like me have the facility to 'tick up' or 'red cross' someone - just accept what's given.
As far as I can see, it is administrators that do it - presumably to manage sentiment. Knowing this - it's then meaningless and water off a ducks back - Quack!

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 64
chaos33
October 9, 2015, 11:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Let me get this straight - did you just say that the 'administrators' on this site, such as they are, are 'managing sentiment'?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 64
ginnywings
October 10, 2015, 12:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Teestogreen
I don't think the likes of posters like me have the facility to 'tick up' or 'red cross' someone - just accept what's given.
As far as I can see, it is administrators that do it - presumably to manage sentiment. Knowing this - it's then meaningless and water off a ducks back - Quack!

You'll notice you have a cross. I gave that to you and i'm not an administrator. If you'd like to now tick the little red cross at the bottom of this post, you will see that you can do it too.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 64
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.