Tommy
October 6, 2015, 10:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Christ on a bike, Tomlinson didn't run off three of JPs knock downs, missed three sitters and huffed and puffed for 70 minutes which is 20 minutes than Lenny used to. He's paid as a striker, strikers strike, he doesn't!

Missed three sitters?

He only had one real chance as far as I remember. The one that came back to him on the edge of the box after he'd tried to play in Arnold to his right. Clean strike but too close to middle of the goal. The other half chance was from quite a tight angle by the time it dropped for him to hit it and that couldn't have been far off.

I think we've began to create less chances in the last couple of games so whilst we can say the strikers didn't score tonight, it's not like they've missed loads of sitters.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 86
DocTower
October 6, 2015, 10:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from Tommy
Agree with what Hurst said re:the fans.

How could anyone think sarcastically cheering Macca catching the ball would help him, or help the team?
And cheering Tomlinson going off, who had actually played well, what goes through people's heads when they do these things?

It's all,part of football , and British humour , black comedy if you want .  Nothing wrong with that , if you can't stand the heat etc etc . If you don't show what your feelings are nothing will change.  If you wish to clap mediocrity so be it , I clapped Tomlinson off and Amond on as supporter . Couldn't say much about their goal , just left me speechless , but poo happens now and again . 3 points at the end if the day .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 86
LongEatonMariner
October 6, 2015, 11:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Belfast Town

Thanks for posting the link.

Having listened I think Paul Hurst comes out of the interview very well.  I do like his interviews and am behind him (as I'm behind anyone GTFC), but haven't agreed with some of his selections - mainly Parslow in midfield last year and Tomlinson up front instead of Amond or Bogle at the moment. He is spot on re abuse of players but he was at pains to stress a number of occasions that it was a small minority.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 86
jamesgtfc
October 6, 2015, 11:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
What griped me was the question "are you happy if your strikers don't score but the team wins?"

That question just wasn't necessary. Well played Hurst on stressing that a team gains promotion and when we did have a striker banging them in we finished mid table!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 86
October 6, 2015, 11:08pm
Guest User
I may disagree with some of Hursts selections and tactics at times but he has it spot on when talking about our home support. The only time you can justify shouting abuse at a player who is wearing black and white is when they are clearly not bothered in the mould of Conlon, Proudlock, Sweeney etc. I just wish the minority would stay away, they are doing no one any favours and it doesn't do the  players confidence any good. By all means have your opinion but there is a time and a place for it. The minority certainly know how to kick players when they are down. We should be there to lift the players when they have had a knock and inspire the players (like our away fans do).
The emotion from the squad at Wembley showed how much it means to them and everyone at the clubs needs to pull together now. Why did certain players turn down football league clubs in the summer on better money? Because they care as much as we do and know how much we crave our return. We are all bound to get frustrated as we all care however don't deflect this frustration on individuals. Everyone could see what effect the fans had on the players throughout the ending on last season so lets try and drown the moaners out in our next home game against Halifax.
You never know, this time next week we could be top of the league .

UTM
Reply: 24 - 86
moosey_club
October 6, 2015, 11:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Tomlinson just doesnt look like a striker to me, he maybe hassles players but several things stick in my mind about his performance this evening...
first half... there was a deep cross that went beyond him from East i think...he waved his arms in frustration at East, failing to realise Monkhouse was coming in behind and headed the ball back for Tomlinson who turned to realise too late and chance gone...
first half... bemoaned a clearance from the back as not being in the channel, a couple of moments later stood completely flat footed as a similar ball to Pitmans head was obviously going to be flicked into the channel...
two ridiculous shots from distance that must have been 20 -30 yds off target.....
laying the ball to Arnold when he had a clear strike on goal from a central position, he also didnt do well with the rebound that fell to him straight after......

he played a couple of intelligent passes in the 70 mins he was on but i am afraid running around for your team is a pre-requisite for me so doesnt earn any brownie points if that running is ineffective.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 86
ginnywings
October 6, 2015, 11:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Whatever you think of Tomlinson, since he came into the side, we are conceding less goals and picking up more points, despite our fixtures getting decidedly more difficult this month. Perhaps Hurst knows more than we do?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 86
moosey_club
October 6, 2015, 11:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Just  listened to the interview and think he was pretty accurate in his analysis for me, also i understand what he says about the fans reactions however , ironic cheers exist in football..its terrace humour, whether its aimed at the ref for finally giving us a decision, a player getting it right after a series of poor incidents, an oppostion player fcking something up......a little too sensitive there for me but his core message of sticking together and keeping the O.P spirit is valid.    Just realise your part in that Paul by selecting the most capable players you have that will get us a victory, not a team that wont lose or that will keep an unbeaten run going but a team that is most capable of getting us a victory.
Two wins and three losses is more valuable than 5 draws...points...that is all that matters, unbeaten is nice but it isnt necessarliy the most effective way of getting promotion.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 86
LongEatonMariner
October 6, 2015, 11:31pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
I always thought ironic cheering was for opposition players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 86
moosey_club
October 6, 2015, 11:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Whatever you think of Tomlinson, since he came into the side, we are conceding less goals and picking up more points, despite our fixtures getting decidedly more difficult this month. Perhaps Hurst knows more than we do?

or Pittman or Makreth...as all three have coincided havnt they?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 86
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hursts interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.